Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Are we pinning our hope too much on the vaccine?

(152 Posts)
MawBe Sun 04-Jul-21 16:06:51

We all (I hope) agree the vaccine is making an enormous difference to the impact Covid has on our lives, and I certainly hope that while zero-Covid might be a pipe dream, we should be able to manage the virus in a similar way we now cope with severe flu, bronchitis and pneumonia in all but the very old or frail.
But, and is a big but, we are glibly talking about “opening up” international travel, dispensing with social distancing, and ditching the wearing of face coverings. In other words, putting all our eggs in the vaccine basket.
The easing of the above measures would make life seem much more like the normality we last knew 15 months ago and it would be lovely to believe we can put Covid behind us.
But we can’t.
I worry, are we becoming over-confident and over- reliant on the vaccines we have and their continued availability. I am assuming mutations of the future are already being planned for in immunology labs all over the world as if the virus were to mutate into something much more severe, I fear we could all be up a gum tree.
#justthinking

love0c Sun 04-Jul-21 16:12:58

I do not even want to go there. Sixteen months and counting. I have had two vaccinations but no more. I followed the government advice and the scientists who they were using. But for me now the 19th July or 'freedom day' as it is being referred to can not come soon enough for me. I think we have to believe in the vaccine. There are many world renowned scientists who did not believe in lockdowns.

Namsnanny Sun 04-Jul-21 16:14:11

I feel that we cant stay under wraps for ever, even though there will be set backs.

I know it's a bit of a tightrope walk, but the debt has to be paid sometime. People need work.

I still feel very strongly that the time bomb is in the delayed health care provision, not so much from Covid.

We are all guinea pigs.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 04-Jul-21 16:26:17

What I do think is that it would have been sensible to wait just a bit longer until the vaccine level had reached herd immunity level.

I think that it would then help to do a number of things.

First to help prevent illness and death ( however small)
Second to relieve the NHS and assist in their aim in decreasing the backlog
Third and really important is to prevent the virus from its ability to mutate by not allowing such widespread infection.

MawBe Sun 04-Jul-21 16:32:55

Third and really important is to prevent the virus from its ability to mutate by not allowing such widespread infection
I really agree with this and wonder whether the Indian/Delta variant would have developed and spread if the population of the sub continent had been adequately vaccinated and living conditions (including those in hospitals) had been better.
What affects one part of the world affects us all.

M0nica Sun 04-Jul-21 16:52:43

How does a vaccine differ from catching a disease and getting immunity that way? The end effect is the same.

Mattsmum2 Sun 04-Jul-21 16:56:19

Life is a risk, we all have to take the plunge one way or another eventually. Also we all have to take responsibility for our own choices and protect others.

AGAA4 Sun 04-Jul-21 16:57:48

Mutations are expected as this is what a virus will do. We have to accept personal responsibility for our own safety.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 04-Jul-21 17:46:58

M0nica

How does a vaccine differ from catching a disease and getting immunity that way? The end effect is the same.

I think the difference is that vaccines give us an element of control.

To my mind the most important thing is to prevent the virus mutating into something we can’t control and causing a dreadful situation. We don’t know if this will happen by letting it spread Willy hilly, but with vaccine it will of course be under pressure to mutate but we will be able to slow it down.

Teacheranne Sun 04-Jul-21 18:14:59

Personally I would prefer a slightly slower removal of these restrictions, I think that doing away with social distancing, mask wearing, travel quarantines, allowing large events to take place etc should be done one at a time with time to review any impact. But I know most people just want total freedom and in many ways so do I but I do worry about a surge in infections and virus mutations which might lead to significant rises in hospitalisation sand deaths.

I think I will be a little cautious for a while longer, meeting friends outside wherever possible and continuing to wash hands frequently and avoid crowded places or wear a mask. I really hope that we are past the worst and that there won’t be problems this winter, I’d be very happy if I were proved wrong!

Amberone Sun 04-Jul-21 18:27:14

I'll be keeping my mask for a while to wear indoors in public places and on public transport. This morning at the supermarket someone sneezed down my back, which even before Covid I would have thought was pretty disgusting.

My life is almost back to normal anyway, I know my family are keeping safe wherever they are in the world so for the time being I can live reasonably happily with occasional mask use, hand washing (which I always thought was standard hygiene anyway) and avoiding dense crowds.

Luckygirl Sun 04-Jul-21 18:30:26

The vaccines are a huge blessing and do seem to prevent more serious illness. I am confident that, alongside these, new and better treatments will be developed.

We do indeed have to learn to live with it.

My 18 year old GS has it right now and is not in the least unwell thankfully - he had to get tested as he was pinged by the app. His whole family is in isolation whilst in the middle of moving house - a bit of a conundrum.

I think the restrictions need to be reduced slowly rather than there being a Freedom Day.

The fact that a new variant was imported from India reinforces the need for a global vaccination programme. Goodness knows how this can be achieved.

Hetty58 Sun 04-Jul-21 18:34:06

I'm just horrified at the thought of 'back to normal'. What on Earth is wrong with people? Can't they understand that 'normal' is exactly where this started - the ideal conditions for the next pandemic? Have they learned nothing?

MayBee70 Sun 04-Jul-21 18:44:57

imo this is a populist decision not a scientific one. Maybe we should think of people such as bus drivers and shop workers that will now be subjected to more of a viral load. I certainly won’t be going to a cinema or theatre for the foreseeable future although I might have been tempted to if everyone wore masks so places like that might find that people many won’t be flocking to them. And surely it will mean that more people will have to self isolate unless, of course, testing and tracing is stopped also. We should have waited that bit longer, especially as the Delta variant seems to be more transmissible outside. I wonder if our new found freedoms are to cover up Johnson’s plans for the NHS?

MerylStreep Sun 04-Jul-21 18:53:08

Can some give an idea what a little bit longer is?
6 weeks, 3 months, what!!
The only time I will be wearing a mask is for my B12 injection.

MayBee70 Sun 04-Jul-21 18:57:53

Until the majority of people have been vaccinating thereby the country having reached herd immunity. As it is many people are still not three weeks after having their second vaccine. And the Delta variant means that it takes longer to reach herd immunity. I shall continue to wear a mask to protect other people. It’s interesting the way people are approaching this pandemic. I’m sure sociologists/anthropologists will have a field day in years to come.

Jaxjacky Sun 04-Jul-21 19:01:46

Maw you are echoing my lurking thoughts, but I also want to put my fingers in my ears and go ‘la, la, la. I don’t know, I suppose you have to trust, USA have opened up for a few weeks now, we have exemplary vaccination happening, I can hope, that’s all.

Kalu Sun 04-Jul-21 19:03:32

Like many, I would dearly like to get back to normal but I am not ready to throw caution to the wind. Possibly when my GDs are fully vaccinated I will think, now is the time to gradually take steps to return to a normality with fewer risks.

Three valid points made by WW should take priority before Freedom Day is allowed to go ahead.

MerylStreep Sun 04-Jul-21 19:13:20

Maybee70
I don’t know what you call a majority Would you call 60% of the population being double vaccinated a majority

www.gov.uk/government/news/3-in-5-uk-adults-receive-both-doses-of-covid-19-vaccine

Lucca Sun 04-Jul-21 19:19:24

MerylStreep

May I ask why ? Would you not think it wise to wear a mask in shops and on public transport ? Surely that’s a minimum thing we could all do to help? Although I do realise there are many who are even now too selfish to do that.

MayBee70 Sun 04-Jul-21 19:20:02

What saddens me is that, for many months we were irritated by people not giving us space when we’re walking the dog. Never acknowledging us for moving out of their way etc. However, for the past couple of weeks everything has changed. We haven’t been the first people to find a safe passing place. Everyone has smiled or waved, put their dogs on a lead when seeing that ours is on a lead. Those whose dogs have ran up to ours have apologised and retrieved them. It’s as if hands face space ventilate has actually become part of our culture. I just hope that this new freedom day, or whatever Johnson’s latest sound bite is, doesn’t to mean that people just revert back to how they were.

MayBee70 Sun 04-Jul-21 19:21:39

MerylStreep

Surely doctors surgeries and hospitals will continue to ask people to wear a mask?

varian Sun 04-Jul-21 19:27:25

In Japan and many other countries in SE Asia, mask wearing in public has become commonplace because they have experienced SARS and MERS.

Mask wearing is considered good manners as it shows your concern for others.

Hetty58 Sun 04-Jul-21 19:45:08

It's great that hospital admissions and death rates have been curbed - yet we still have the real threats of long Covid and variants brought in by travel from abroad.

Whatever we do, it's a world pandemic, after all. I'm not reassured, at all, by testing rates or quarantine arrangements.

It's easy, for the determined, to avoid quarantine and testing. We're just not (generally) as compliant and community minded as the Japanese, are we?

I know a large family who refuse testing, vaccination or restrictions - still thinking it's a big fuss about nothing and too much government control.

Summerlove Sun 04-Jul-21 19:52:01

MerylStreep

Maybee70
I don’t know what you call a majority Would you call 60% of the population being double vaccinated a majority

www.gov.uk/government/news/3-in-5-uk-adults-receive-both-doses-of-covid-19-vaccine

3 in 5 adults. There are more people than just adults In the UK.

You need to look at total population, not just eligible for the vaccine population.

Even then, most people say you need 80% total population or more for herd immunity