Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

New infections - 100000 per day?

(209 Posts)
Daisymae Wed 07-Jul-21 08:16:03

Javid said this was a possibility by August. This could equate to 5000 cases of long Covid per day too. I'm thinking that should this be correct that many people will restrict their own interaction with others therefore adversely affect the economy and all that goes with it. Removing all restrictions so quickly could backfire. That's without a new variant of concern thrown into the mix. Would this level of contagion affect your behaviour??

3nanny6 Thu 08-Jul-21 12:21:50

Growstuff yes they did say that it may be able to evade the current vaccines, so with that variant in circulation surely the government should be proceeding with more caution. How long before it is identified, isolated and stamped out? Some people are extremely worried particularly those with compromised immune systems who will have to shut themselves away from 19th July.

Susysue Thu 08-Jul-21 12:27:29

Germanshepherdsmum

*Miss Chatelaine*, may I say your posts seem to be all about you and your wife. You are very fortunate to be healthy and I hope you remain so but please don’t think it’s all down to motivation and hard work as you suggest. Luck plays a big part too. I have had asthma since childhood and have therefore feared catching Covid as I don’t think it would go too well for me, and there will be vast numbers of people with that and other conditions not of their own making and not cured by exercise and healthy eating. I have had both vaccinations but can still catch Covid and you can still spread it.

Please think of others and don’t be so selfish. I hope none of those tradespeople you so loved having around whilst the rest of us were trying to keep well away from others caught or spread Covid.

Germanshepherdsmum and cleopanda....totally agree with you. The "I'm all right Jack" selfish community are the reason why this pandemic spread like wildfire in the first place and now the folk refusing to take the vaccine due to ridiculous reasons and those that can't bloody stay at home and are wanting to jump on the first plane out of here. OMG.. . Perhaps if these selfish idiots had had to work in hospitals throughout the pandemic, with no choice whatsoever, and admitted seriously ill covid patients as my 27 year old junior doctor daughter working in a busy city emergency med dept had to do on a daily basis for months. She and her fellow medical staff had to put their own safety aside and treat covid patients, often helplessly watching people dying a horrible death, young and old alike. Hospital Medical staff have been left traumatised by the experience, let alone the families of the dead who will never recover. So for all the miss chatelaine's out there, have a good long think about your self absorbed selfishness and make the world a better place and start thinking of others!!!!

Legs55 Thu 08-Jul-21 12:28:54

I will not be changing my behaviour at all, mask on in shops & public transport if I use it. I was in Hospital in January with Cellulitis, a very severe infection which required IV Antibiotics for 11 days. All patients were tested on admission to the ward & had to have a negative result. 2 patients, who I never had any contact with tested positive several days later, we were tested twice a week. I had 5 negative tests but still had to self isolate for 14 days when I came home. District Nurses visited me every day, I was not required to wear a mask as I was in my own home, I did ask confused.

Since then I have been to my GP Surgery firstly daily now every two days for dressings. Early March I was informed I had to shield until end of March when restrictions were lifted, why? I didn't have to shield at the start despite having Type 2 Diabetes & Epilepsy amongst other health conditionsconfused

I have continued to do my own shopping, visiting my DD & DGSs since bubbles could be formed.

I have also continued to visit a male friend throughout, yes we have hugged, we were agreed that as we both have little interaction with others it was safe to do so, my DD was quite happy for us to continue meeting.

DGS1 isn't supposed to mix with his friends after School despite them being together, in the same bubble, all day at School.

I refuse to give up on life, I have missed so much with Covid lockdowns & now my lack of mobility due to the Cellulitis & treatment that I can't wait to get my life back to normal or at least as normal as it will ever be. I have an appointment at the hairdresser next Friday, I can't waitsmile

M0nica Thu 08-Jul-21 12:29:14

Alioop
www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/chris-whitty-masks-lockdown-covid-b1878776.html

Chris Witty on when he, unmasked. will don a mask . I have yet to speak to an unmasker, including me, who hadn't drawn up similar rules for themselves.

You are being throughly alarmist for no good reason.

widgeon3 Thu 08-Jul-21 12:31:17

How lucky Buster tank is!
Even though my auto-immune condition meant that I was under 'Matt's' wing and it was suggested that I stay at home, I found it impossible to do anything on line
Clothing no longer seems to fit anywhere The return item queues can be very long
The supermarkets for which I held 'loyalty' cards had no interest in providing me with food as systems were either down or too complex for me to wade through

Apropos the wearing of face masks, I have no objection in principle, but those of us with Dry Eye and other similar eye conditions can find that the inflammation is exacerbated by the wearing of masks ( there was an article on this by the institute of opticians some time ago) It takes several days anti-inflammatories to calm the eyes down after any prolonged mask-wearing venture such as shopping.Shall I stop wearing a mask?
If and when I can, most certainly.

donnab31 Thu 08-Jul-21 12:31:25

Can I ask all of you who want the restrictions to stay in place, at what point do you think it will be safe to open the country again?
Everybody is welcome to continue wearing masks and socially distance. Apparently 60% still will choose to.
Some of you are saying you barely leave the house at the moment anyway so that doesn't need to change if you're not comfortable.
This virus is likely never to go away - what sort of life do you think we'll be going back to if we hold off on everything for another 6 months to a year? Or are you happy for the restrictions to stay in place forever?
We can all be personally responsible, we're all capable of looking after our own health to a degree.
The alternative is living in a communist state where the government are still telling us who we can have in our homes and when we can hug our children.
Is that really the life you want?
We do have to learn to live with this thing. About 85% of the adult population in the UK have had one vaccine and 65% have been double jabbed.
The virus may still be around but it's lost a huge amount of it's potency and the deaths haven't gone above 33 a day since April.
We can't continuously live our lives in fear or we're not living!
I have a lung condition that makes me vulnerable but I've had both vaccines, I anti-bac when necessary and I keep my distance from strangers as much as I can.
If I still catch it, that's just meant to be.

Lulu16 Thu 08-Jul-21 12:37:57

I certainly will be more careful after July 19th 2021.

I'm not doing the same as I did when the were numbers are low.

All the restrictions that many people willingly adhered to during lockdowns will be unravelled in the next few weeks.

Daisymae Thu 08-Jul-21 12:45:06

I think that restrictions should be lifted when it looks like infections are falling. Thousands will be at risk of ling Covid which could mean a lifetime of disability. Seems to me that the government have given up.

Alioop Thu 08-Jul-21 12:54:07

MOnica
I can't see how I'm being alarmist because I've decide to wear my mask, the choice is mine at the end of the day. My post was more about my concerns about beds being taken up again by Covid patients needing care while others are left still waiting even longer now for ops.

growstuff Thu 08-Jul-21 12:54:56

donnab31 I think you're a tad behind with the argument. Most people seem to be saying that they have been leaving home, but still being very careful. I don't think many are still staying at home completely.

There seems to be an (almost) consensus that restrictions such as large meetings should be lifted, but that masks should still be worn for the time being in places such as public transport and enclosed spaces.

What people are saying is that if others won't respect the safety of other people, they will have their own freedom to go out restricted. For some people, that isn't a choice, if they are, for example, immuno-suppressed or are clinically vulnerable.

There is also the huge issue of schools and the vaccination of teenagers, who seem to have been thrown on the herd immunity scrap heap.

growstuff Thu 08-Jul-21 12:57:48

M0nica

Alioop
www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/chris-whitty-masks-lockdown-covid-b1878776.html

Chris Witty on when he, unmasked. will don a mask . I have yet to speak to an unmasker, including me, who hadn't drawn up similar rules for themselves.

You are being throughly alarmist for no good reason.

I can't believe you wrote that. Alioop is not being alarmist. There are plenty of very good reasons for continuing to wear a mask.

Sandrahill Thu 08-Jul-21 12:58:40

My husband is immune suppressant with cancer . Far too risky as the consequences are deadly. We will be wearing masks avoiding busy areas and eating at home ! Too many people think it’s all fine now. They won’t if they become ill.

growstuff Thu 08-Jul-21 12:58:55

donnab31 Why do you anti-bac? Coronavirus is a virus and won't be killed by anti-bac.

growstuff Thu 08-Jul-21 13:02:24

Legs55 Diabetics were never required to shield, despite the fact that 25% of Covid deaths also have diabetes on the death certificate.

growstuff Thu 08-Jul-21 13:04:10

3nanny6

Growstuff yes they did say that it may be able to evade the current vaccines, so with that variant in circulation surely the government should be proceeding with more caution. How long before it is identified, isolated and stamped out? Some people are extremely worried particularly those with compromised immune systems who will have to shut themselves away from 19th July.

I agree.

Dedeottie Thu 08-Jul-21 13:17:45

I had just started to go out and about and was looking forward to visiting the cinema and theatre and to browsing on the high street. Now that all restrictions are to be lifted , I won’t be going in any of those places so I won’t be helping the economy recover that’s for sure.
Luckily I live in Wales and am hoping Drakeford at least keeps mask wearing in shops and on public transport. X

cc Thu 08-Jul-21 13:18:32

I'm pretty horrified at the thought that people will no longer be taking care by wearing masks and social distancing. We've been careful all the way through the pandemic and our behaviour won't be changing, we may actually stop going out to restaurants as it looks likely that this will be increasingly risky.
We're both fully vaccinated but the small risk of catching Covid (or passing it on to others) and adding to the risk of more dangerous mutations is worrying.

Carolpaint Thu 08-Jul-21 13:20:52

Yippee, nothing changes, there are them that does and them that talk about them that does. There are going to be infections there are always going to be infections, it is not going away. Those not vaccinated have been given their chances, the young will continue with mild illness. If you are still an ill person then why do you consider interfering with the freedom of others takes precedence? The optimum time has been chosen before the rump of respiratory illness descends. The country needs to start opening up and working we are needing productivity and people at their posts as much as possible. How we ever had an Empire with most of the scaremongers on here fails me.

cc Thu 08-Jul-21 13:24:53

growstuff

donnab31 Why do you anti-bac? Coronavirus is a virus and won't be killed by anti-bac.

For heavens sake, do you really imagine that all these months of washing our hands to avoid the virus is pointless? Thorough washing of hands WILL remove a virus from your skin and stop it being transferred to your face and hence your nasal passage/mouth. I think you are confusing this with the fact that antibiotics do not work against a virus.

growstuff Thu 08-Jul-21 13:26:19

Carolpaint Why are you ignoring the young people who will develop long Covid?

Why should vulnerable people have their freedom interfered with by selfish people who find wearing a mask such a big deal? Thankfully, responsible companies such as Ryanair will still insist on mask wearing.

Nobody on this thread has talked about "not opening up". In fact, most places are already "opened up".

What the heck does an Empire have to do with anything? hmm

growstuff Thu 08-Jul-21 13:29:31

cc

growstuff

For heavens sake, do you really imagine that all these months of washing our hands to avoid the virus is pointless? Thorough washing of hands WILL remove a virus from your skin and stop it being transferred to your face and hence your nasal passage/mouth. I think you are confusing this with the fact that antibiotics do not work against a virus.

Ahem! Excuse me! I wasn't talking about hand washing and I agree with you that washing hands with soap and water or an alcohol hand wash can contribute to a reduction of transmission. I asked about anti-bac, use of which is a waste of money against a virus.

Where did I state washing hands is a waste of time? I think you are confusing what I wrote with what you think I wrote.

Casdon Thu 08-Jul-21 13:31:33

Nicola Sturgeon on her briefing today has said 3% of people with the virus will be admitted to hospital per day, compared with 13% in the second wave. That’s why they are saying the link between infection and hospitalisation has been weakened, but it certainly doesn’t mean it’s not an issue - if the 100,000 infections per day comes to pass that’s 3000 hospital admissions a day. Let’s all just hope the infection rate starts dropping soon.

Mollygo Thu 08-Jul-21 13:38:05

Franbern [email protected], yes I agree.
Rosie1959 I looked at the evidence for numbers tested and we do better than all bar 4 countries, but how does that make sense of reports of the number of cases in European countries compared with the UK?The number of definite Covid related deaths and hospitalised cases is what we need to look at.

3nanny6 Thu 08-Jul-21 13:45:31

Carolpaint you say that we are scaremongering on here. You say the country needs opening up the country needs productivity and people should get back to their posts.

With 100000 new cases a day by August and 5000 cases of long covid predicted I am not sure where all the workforce
will be coming from when the country is "fully opened"
How many will actually be turning in for work?

Polly12 Thu 08-Jul-21 13:48:38

Carolpaint

Yippee, nothing changes, there are them that does and them that talk about them that does. There are going to be infections there are always going to be infections, it is not going away. Those not vaccinated have been given their chances, the young will continue with mild illness. If you are still an ill person then why do you consider interfering with the freedom of others takes precedence? The optimum time has been chosen before the rump of respiratory illness descends. The country needs to start opening up and working we are needing productivity and people at their posts as much as possible. How we ever had an Empire with most of the scaremongers on here fails me.

Goodness me, Carolpaint, what an attitude! I assume you are fit, healthy, robust, never a days illness in your life? And all your friends and family are the same? I wouldn’t like to be a member of your family if I had, say, asthma, a heart or lung condition, diabetes, etc - presumably I would need to be locked away somewhere so that you could continue with your gay social life unimpeded?