Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

New infections - 100000 per day?

(209 Posts)
Daisymae Wed 07-Jul-21 08:16:03

Javid said this was a possibility by August. This could equate to 5000 cases of long Covid per day too. I'm thinking that should this be correct that many people will restrict their own interaction with others therefore adversely affect the economy and all that goes with it. Removing all restrictions so quickly could backfire. That's without a new variant of concern thrown into the mix. Would this level of contagion affect your behaviour??

CleoPanda Thu 08-Jul-21 11:16:21

Thank goodness, the majority “get it” and will continue to be extremely cautious.
Some comments leave me feeling nauseous!
Saying, with pride, I mix with everyone and I’m alright Jack is so selfish, narrow minded and egotistical.
It feels like they’re thumbing their noses at those of us who have been very ill, suffering from long Covid and have lost people to this dreadful virus.

Athenia Thu 08-Jul-21 11:16:31

Amazed that so many believe the official figures.
Does it not make you suspicious that no influenza cases were recorded all winter?
They were all called covid, regardless.
Please do your own research.
Very sadly, the reported figures are being hyped in order to create fear and panic in the population at large.
This virus has caused the death of 0.03 of the population, exactly the same as winter flu, usually those with other conditions and elderly.
Please take courage and use the internet to inform yourself about statistics, as the media is manipulating your thoughts to create fear and division.
This is not the kind government that you imagine it to be. Please be aware.

JaneJudge Thu 08-Jul-21 11:20:45

My son was positive for covid so I had to call my other sons school and the attendance officer said more children are off than in. We all have to have pcr tests now too and she said we have to isolate from yesterday, the day of the positive case in the house. Not sure if this is true. I have now convinced myself I have it grin You can see how it spreads though. His test was delivered Saturday and we still hadn't had the result until last night. He is completely well now and was saying he was going to go out!

Alegrias1 Thu 08-Jul-21 11:23:04

Athenia

Does it not make you suspicious that no influenza cases were recorded all winter?
Very sadly, the reported figures are being hyped in order to create fear and panic in the population at large.
This virus has caused the death of 0.03 of the population, exactly the same as winter flu, usually those with other conditions and elderly.
Please take courage and use the internet to inform yourself about statistics, as the media is manipulating your thoughts to create fear and division.

Its started quite early today.

Now people will get annoyed with me saying it, I know, but having a higher scientific degree means that I do, actually know what "do your own research" means. Googling the internet isn't it.

But what the internet did tell me is that the virus has caused the death of 0.2% of the population, so about 10 times what you claim.

Casdon Thu 08-Jul-21 11:26:42

Athenia at least you gave us laugh this morning, which was sorely needed!

NannaJanie Thu 08-Jul-21 11:31:57

I agree with Miss Chateline. I will welcome a more open society with open arms, but I will continue to wear a mask and sanitise if I feel it necessary. I'm an adult and can make my own judgements. I too am double jabbed. I agree wholeheartedly with the comments about rules for returning to the UK. We have a small holiday home and having it sit there unoccupied for so long is worrying. The current testing is a money making exercise with private companies making a small fortune. The other money spinner is the fact our dogs can no longer travel on pet passports, needing a 'health certificate' costing £125 each. We have two dogs! Adding up testing costs and doggie costs would pay for another holiday in itself.

GreyKnitter Thu 08-Jul-21 11:31:58

We will continue to be very cautious, to protect ourselves but also to protect others and the nhs. That’s sounds a big self righteous maybe and over cautious but it’s done with respect for those who have worked tirelessly over the last 18 months - nhs but also all key workers. We have just begun to eat out - usually outdoors and have felt well protected and safe, but when the rules change then we probably will revert to eating at home as we don’t want to risk being in a crowded restaurant with loads of other people from all over the country - we live in a seaside area which will undoubtedly be full of folks from everywhere! Of course they deserve a holiday and I hope they enjoy good weather and a great time but I am concerned that many of them will have and pass on the virus, often unknowingly, which may well shut down many of the places they want to visit due to staff self isolating.

lizzypopbottle Thu 08-Jul-21 11:36:08

The modelling has been wrong many times through use of out of date statistics and the phrase 'could be' is significant. Don't forget, in the words of Benjamin Disraeli, 'There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

growstuff Thu 08-Jul-21 11:40:27

Athenia

Can I suggest you use reliable sources to do your "research"?

Do you honestly think doctors can't tell the difference between Covid and flu?

I would have thought that the reason for the low number of flu cases was obvious. Flu is transmitted in a similar way to Covid, so distancing and masks also reduced flu cases. It really isn't rocket science.

Delene100 Thu 08-Jul-21 11:44:02

Same here. I will not be changing my protection behaviour.

winterwhite Thu 08-Jul-21 11:45:34

I agree with much of this, Athenia without going quite so far as you do. The bolts are drawn back and the animals are let out of the cage but extra alarms are set on all sides to persuade them to stay inside.
If the govt and its advisers truly believe their own scare stories they would be requiring masks at Sunday's football match, and have been doing so at all such events.

kwest Thu 08-Jul-21 11:46:42

I am seriously worried by these 'mixed messages'.

Maggieanne Thu 08-Jul-21 11:49:40

I haven't read all of this thread but my main concern is that so many people, out and about shopping etc., do not use hand sanitizer. This must be one of easiest ways of transmitting any virus. Time and time again a lot of shoppers walk past the sanitizer stations, I really do think that this should be mandatory.

M0nica Thu 08-Jul-21 11:50:03

Surely, if the vacccination reduces the severity of the disease and hospital admissions and deaths have fallen dramatically, it will also reduce the number of people getting long COVID.

GElliott Thu 08-Jul-21 11:53:42

Totally agree with everything you said

growstuff Thu 08-Jul-21 11:57:03

Maggieanne

I haven't read all of this thread but my main concern is that so many people, out and about shopping etc., do not use hand sanitizer. This must be one of easiest ways of transmitting any virus. Time and time again a lot of shoppers walk past the sanitizer stations, I really do think that this should be mandatory.

No, it isn't. Most transmission is airborne, either by water droplets which fall to the ground within about 2 metres or aerosols, which linger in poorly ventilated spaces.

It is possible to transmit a virus by surface to surface contact, but it's not so efficient. The easiest thing is to try and avoid touching your own face, which I find easier when wearing a mask.

Happiyogi Thu 08-Jul-21 12:00:43

The choice of the term Freedom Day was ill advised. In the minds and actions of many it is being interpreted as freedom from having to consider anyone else, and a return to putting self first. It has begun long before the 19th, which remains a date and not data as we were promised.

growstuff Thu 08-Jul-21 12:01:02

M0nica

Surely, if the vacccination reduces the severity of the disease and hospital admissions and deaths have fallen dramatically, it will also reduce the number of people getting long COVID.

I quite like this graphic. It illustrates that no single intervention is perfect. In fact, even a combination of all interventions won't be perfect, but the more which are being used, the less the chance of being infected and being ill and/or suffering from lonCovid.

3nanny6 Thu 08-Jul-21 12:01:45

Too many rising cases and illness going on. My 30 year old son never complains and has said in the past that Covid does not exist. He has had a sore throat, cough and tightness in the chest
for about 8 days and he carries on like he is dying. (I have got sympathy for him) but I think it is the bug going around that a lot of people have got. He says he must have Covid although I have made him do two of the self testing swabs for home use and they showed negative.
I am surprised that not one person on this thread or any other coronavirus thread has mentioned the NEW VARIANT
that I read about last week. It is called the Lambda variant and for the first time today I heard it talked about on T.V.
Will it start getting stronger? who knows not sure what will happen now as we are getting closer and closer to 19th July.

growstuff Thu 08-Jul-21 12:04:25

3nanny6 I have mentioned it at least twice (on other coronavirus threads I think). This new variant is causing concern because it has some unusual features. It's the variant which caused havoc in South America and there are at least 9 cases in the UK. Scientists aren't on top of it yet.

growstuff Thu 08-Jul-21 12:06:52

The Lambda variant won't "get stronger", but there is already evidence it evades the current vaccines. It needs to be identified, isolated and stamped out. It's not known ye if it's more transmissible than the Delta variant, but if it is, it could replace it.

3nanny6 Thu 08-Jul-21 12:12:54

Maggieanne : you are right about the hand sanitizer stations in shops. Personally myself I always use them.
This week I found the hand sanitizer in the bank was empty, the sanitizer in supermarket was empty, and popped into quick tesco for some salad and their sanitizer was empty.
Seems to me they are now not as fussy as they will probably
discontinue all that after the 19th July. Heard yesterday that the self testing home kits will be free until end of July then they will start charging for them

BusterTank Thu 08-Jul-21 12:13:38

I will continue not to mix . I will continue having my shopping delivered rather than going in store . I will continue to shop on line for clothes and presents . I refuse to be part of the governments experiment .

Plunger Thu 08-Jul-21 12:15:59

UK total tests 220M ie 3.2M per 1M population
France 95M tests ie 1.4M per 1M population
Germany 63.8M tests ie 0.76 tests per 1M population
Do more tests and find more cases. The UK has carried out more tests than any other country in Europe.
Source worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Alioop Thu 08-Jul-21 12:19:22

To hear hospital admissions are rising, but not as many deaths doesn't help the waiting time for people needing treatment for their heart, cancers, etc. A lot of people have waited too long before Covid and now yet again beds and time are being taken up with Covid admissions, it's so not fair. Why should these people be denied care cos someone thinks they don't want to bother wearing a mask anymore and want to be "free" again. I'm sure the NHS are sick to death of all this and a hell lot more than we are. They have worked so hard for so long. My jabs are done, but mask will still be firmly on.