Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

The decision to end restrictions is dangerous and premature, unethical and illogical.

(560 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sun 11-Jul-21 15:41:20

Scientists have published a letter in the Lancet, saying that they have 5 main concerns over the governments plans for unmitigated infection.
I have taken this from John Campbell’s site.

First - disproportionately affecting children and young people
There are 17 million people with no covid protection.
Exponential growth will continue until millions more people are infected
This will leave hundreds of thousands of people with long term illness and disability
Risks leaving a generation with ill health.

Second - transmission in schools will lead to educational disruption.
There should be strict mitigation in schools and eventual vaccination of children.
Important for clinically vulnerable children and socially vulnerable children.

Third - emergent of vaccine resistant mutations, with their potential spread.

Fourth - there will significant impact on exhausted clinicians.
There is no break yet between infection and hospital admission.
Rising case numbers will inevitably mean more hospital admissions.
Millions of people are waiting for procedures and many will die waiting.

Fifth
Deprived communities are very exposed.
The deprived and marginalised will be disproportionately affected.

Given that vaccine offers the same protection and herd immunity, the governments strategy is unethical and illogical.

The U.K. government must reconsider its current strategy and take urgent steps to protect people and children.
We believe that the U.K. government is embarking on a dangerous and unethical experiment, and we call on it to pause its planned endings of all mitigation on 19 July.

Smileless2012 Sun 11-Jul-21 15:47:59

I understand the worries, I have them too but I don't agree that that the "UK government is embarking on a dangerous and unethical experiment" and think it's a ridiculous claim to make.

We live in a sea side resort and some people haven't been complying with the regulations for some time, and let's be honest, some never have.

FarNorth Sun 11-Jul-21 15:54:44

I live in an area popular with holiday makers.
We have had very low, or zero, cases for the whole time.
Now, numbers are going up - both in locals who have been away and in those who are here on holiday.

Of course we can't all hide for ever, but I'm hoping that the Scottish Government will not 'open up' in the same way that the English Government intends to do.

Smileless2012 Sun 11-Jul-21 15:58:52

It's the same here FarNorth; disappointing but not unexpected.

Anniebach Sun 11-Jul-21 16:00:30

I so hope Wales doesn’t follow England

rosie1959 Sun 11-Jul-21 16:07:18

If we don’t open up the country in July when should we ?
Many businesses either running under restrictions including hospitality or not open at all

Whitewavemark2 Sun 11-Jul-21 16:14:55

The whole point is, - that we are only a couple or so months away from an excellent level of vaccine. Why on earth expose children to the virus and possible future ill health or disability, when patience would prevent all that.

This government must be held to account and held responsible for this decision to put our children at risk.

growstuff Sun 11-Jul-21 16:22:19

rosie1959

If we don’t open up the country in July when should we ?
Many businesses either running under restrictions including hospitality or not open at all

I don't think anybody is seriously suggesting not "opening up", but what's wrong with opening up and making sure that we still mitigate risk? It seems to be what the government is now "expecting" anyway.

PS. There needs to be some additional guidance for schools.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 11-Jul-21 16:22:49

The letter I believe is from Alternative Sage so they have an agenda to push.

JCVI have consistently stayed that there is no plan to vaccinate the under 18’s other than those that are CEV.

If we do not open up now in the summer as the schools are on six week break (Scotland excepted) do we wait until September with the onset of the flu season, schools returning and people spending more time indoors due to the weather?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 11-Jul-21 16:27:48

GrannyGravy13

The letter I believe is from Alternative Sage so they have an agenda to push.

JCVI have consistently stayed that there is no plan to vaccinate the under 18’s other than those that are CEV.

If we do not open up now in the summer as the schools are on six week break (Scotland excepted) do we wait until September with the onset of the flu season, schools returning and people spending more time indoors due to the weather?

That is sooo wrong.

If we WAIT for three months until vaccination is completed then when we open up the wall will be built. There will be risks and issues whenever we open up but not the extent the government has planned at the moment.

And it isn’t from “Alternative Sage” it is from scientists, MPs and others.

welbeck Sun 11-Jul-21 16:33:34

several people who work in pubs and restaurants are quite worried about what this might mean for their health.
they feel very exposed.
it is mostly the business owners who want all restrictions lifted; they are not at the sharp end.
some workers have resigned rather than face further risk, and feel very let down, after trying to keep things going for so long in difficult circumstances, eg pubs doing take-away food.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 11-Jul-21 16:34:35

Imagine how health workers are feeling

GrannyGravy13 Sun 11-Jul-21 16:40:21

Whitewavemark2

I know very well how health workers are feeling as we have several in our immediate family.

Hospital admissions for Covid are still low.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 11-Jul-21 16:44:20

GrannyGravy13

Whitewavemark2

I know very well how health workers are feeling as we have several in our immediate family.

Hospital admissions for Covid are still low.

But not broken. At least 100000 infections expected A DAY imagine what that will do for hospital admissions and the knock-on waiting lists - the deaths from undiagnosed cancers, the pain from osteoarthritis and no knee and hip replacements.

I too have a a doctor and clinicians in the family, and what I see and they feel is utter exhaustion and sadness.

lemongrove Sun 11-Jul-21 16:45:54

Smileless2012

I understand the worries, I have them too but I don't agree that that the "UK government is embarking on a dangerous and unethical experiment" and think it's a ridiculous claim to make.

We live in a sea side resort and some people haven't been complying with the regulations for some time, and let's be honest, some never have.

I agree Smileless

The hope is that being Summer and being able to be outside more, we have to try and get on with our lives and businesses to do the same, for their sake and the economy.
For us older people ( more at risk) we can continue to be cautious even if others aren’t.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 11-Jul-21 16:50:05

lemongrove that is how I feel, it’s time to open up, those who wish to be cautious (the elderly and CEV) can.

Seeing groups of young people enjoying themselves, no social distancing has been prevalent of late on our beaches and parks.
Coming out of senior schools all linking arms and hugging, for them it’s over already.

Alegrias1 Sun 11-Jul-21 16:52:07

A very quick look at this shows that the main signatories of this letter are in fact the same as the members of Independent SAGE.

That doesn't mean that they are wrong, it just means that the same people are saying the same things as they've always said.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 11-Jul-21 16:52:36

I am glad to know that you have so much more knowledge than those people whose signature is on the letter.

Clinicians and scientists who have studied and worked their entire lives on the subject of epidemiology, etc.

With respect I think people would be so much better advised to follow their advice.

Daisymae Sun 11-Jul-21 16:52:51

It's not about the older generation though. It's about deliberately exposing younger unvaccinated people to the virus, removing basic mitigation. Herd immunity by default. There will be thousands more dealing with long term disability as a result.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 11-Jul-21 16:53:40

Alegrias1 that is what I posted, Whitewavemark2 disagrees with both of us!

Whitewavemark2 Sun 11-Jul-21 16:54:07

Daisymae

It's not about the older generation though. It's about deliberately exposing younger unvaccinated people to the virus, removing basic mitigation. Herd immunity by default. There will be thousands more dealing with long term disability as a result.

Exactly

Casdon Sun 11-Jul-21 16:55:49

Most Health workers are feeling a sense of panic, because we are in uncharted territory. There are now more young people in ITUs and general beds than in the first two waves. A&E departments are very busy again, and there is a lot of disrespect and aggression towards staff from the public who are refusing to wear masks. Some hospitals have already been forced to reduce or cease elective activity again. They are also concerned about the increasing number of people with long covid, the demand is huge and there is no additional manpower. Right across the UK doctors and nurses are lobbying the government to rethink.
It’s a very good job the school summer holidays are starting, let’s hope that will help in England as it is doing in Scotland to bring the numbers down, and that more people opt for vaccination.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 11-Jul-21 17:00:26

Whitewavemark2

I am glad to know that you have so much more knowledge than those people whose signature is on the letter.

Clinicians and scientists who have studied and worked their entire lives on the subject of epidemiology, etc.

With respect I think people would be so much better advised to follow their advice.

With respect I have followed all advice since March 2020, all implemented in our business.

I have worn a mask when required despite being exempt.

However, when I have been out and about recently I have observed more and more folks totally disregarding Covid guidelines, they have had enough.

This Government is reportedly rethinking Covid-19 passports for entry into pubs, clubs and restaurants to encourage those reluctant young people to get vaccinated.

Unless vaccination is made mandatory, people still have a choice whether or not to take up the jab and the Country cannot wait forever.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 11-Jul-21 17:02:09

GrannyGravy13

Alegrias1 that is what I posted, Whitewavemark2 disagrees with both of us!

I certainly disagree with your commitment to opening up on 19th.

The Lancet article was not just signed by Independent Sage, their is also an hour long video in which a number of people took part in the discussion., and I am unclear why that makes their advice invalid.

alegrais has not made her opinion known regarding to the 19th unless I’ve missed it.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 11-Jul-21 17:03:55

There is no requirement to make the country wait forever, but to wait until the % of vaccinated has reached herd immunity level.

Approximately by the end of August