Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Double Vaccinated Being Admitted To Hospital

(29 Posts)
tickingbird Thu 22-Jul-21 08:38:56

I saw something on one of the news channels this morning regarding a high number of over 60’s in hospital in Scotland with Covid. It said the majority had been fully vaccinated. Is this correct? If so, it’s frightening to think this Delta variant could ‘beat’ the vaccine.

I do have a friend in her mid 50’s with Covid but she said she felt fine apart from losing her sense of taste and smell. Her 21 yr old son, however, has been very poorly. She’s fully vaccinated and remarked on the difference it makes so this news about over 60’s in Scotland has caused me concern.

SueDonim Thu 22-Jul-21 11:51:36

I saw Scottish figures yesterday which noted that since the vaccination programme began just 1.9% of Covid deaths were in double vaccinated people. The vast majority of deaths were in the unvaccinated.

Greeneyedgirl Thu 22-Jul-21 12:02:38

It good to see positive posts about vaccination, because clearly vaccination is working. Obviously as more are vaccinated the proportion of those infected after vaccination is bound to increase, but deaths rates are not rising correspondingly. Guardian article posted by Allegrias explains this well.
I am grateful that although we do not have “world beating” politicians, we do have world beating scientists, evidenced by the fact that we lead the world in genomic sequencing and surveillance. See (Cog-U.K.)

Santana Thu 22-Jul-21 13:27:47

Good to see the positive responses, and hope it helps to calm those who are anxious.
I met a friend yesterday who had been double vaccinated, who was surprised to test positive for Covid. He said he was slightly achy but after a couple of paracetamol he was well enough to work. Didn't of course!
I like the seat belt analogy which sums it up for me.