Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Kebabs for Jabs

(91 Posts)
Sarnia Mon 02-Aug-21 08:30:32

I daresay there will be divided opinions on the news that young people will be given discounted takeaway food in exchange for them having the vaccine. My first thought on hearing this was what is wrong with so many of our youngsters that they need some sort of a bribe to protect themselves and others from this damned virus and do their bit in getting life back to some sort of normal. Have other countries had this reluctance with their young people or is it just the UK?

Trixii Mon 02-Aug-21 13:53:33

Considering I queued for an hour in freezing February weather for my 1st dose, I'd have loved a free taxi back home and a pizza. Too old yet again - blast it!

Petera Mon 02-Aug-21 14:03:51

Pammie1

Wouldn’t have thought free food would be much of an incentive and isn’t the uptake of the vaccine quite high among young people anyway ?

The first half of my career was in a university. If you wanted graduate students to turn up at a seminar you offered free food - worked every time.

NotSpaghetti Mon 02-Aug-21 14:10:30

I heard on the radio that UBER and (I think) JUST EAT, were offering lifts and eats and that the government isn't funding this scheme.

FannyCornforth Mon 02-Aug-21 14:26:27

GillT57

My adult children had the vaccine because they chose to, my god daughter won't have it and is likely incensed that the government consider her so shallow that she will 'forfeit her health' for the sake of a pizza. What a low opinion this government have of young people.

It’s been fulsomely approved of by Jacob Reese Mogg.
I wonder what incentives would tempt him?

GillT57 Mon 02-Aug-21 15:00:39

Yes well, JRM probably thinks that 'the poor' are easily bought. Frankly, if JRM told me to have the vaccine ( I already have) I would probably refuse! He would probably be tempted by a pinch of the finest snuff.

Kim19 Mon 02-Aug-21 15:12:00

I think most of our young people have more nous and would not be tempted by a cheap bribe rather than more convincing scientific information. Hope so anyway.

GagaJo Mon 02-Aug-21 22:15:19

FannyCornforth

GagaJo and what similarly patronising bribes would they have offered the over 50s?
A packet of Werthers, a copy of the Daiky Express and a voucher for Wetherspoons?

Hahaha. Greggs Meal Deal & The Daily Mail.

Free Specsavers eye test, Bonkas Bingo voucher for 5 free games.

Cream tea voucher and 10% off a Stanna Stairlift.

maddyone Mon 02-Aug-21 23:08:54

….and what similarly patronising bribes would they have offered the over 50s?

A year’s supply of Tena Ladies!

maddyone Mon 02-Aug-21 23:09:46

Or the men’s equivalent!

Lucca Tue 03-Aug-21 03:30:51

FannyCornforth

GagaJo and what similarly patronising bribes would they have offered the over 50s?
A packet of Werthers, a copy of the Daiky Express and a voucher for Wetherspoons?

Years supply of tena lady ? Voucher for the garden centre ?

Lucca Tue 03-Aug-21 03:32:18

Sorry repeated maddy one post.

Calendargirl Tue 03-Aug-21 06:18:58

I think not being allowed into certain venues would work better.

FannyCornforth Tue 03-Aug-21 08:09:40

Calendargirl

I think not being allowed into certain venues would work better.

That’s going down the Vaccine Passport route; the stick not the carrot.
I think VPs are inevitable, but Johnson won’t be keen.
So he’ll drag his feet and do it when it’s probably too late

Teacheranne Tue 03-Aug-21 09:35:21

I’ve been talking to my 18 year old niece who is recovering from Covid about the uptake in her age group. She has had one jab and is due to go for her second soon - I think it’s an eight week gap now. But she is the exception among her friends, most of them are not planning to have the jab due to the negative messages they get from social media. Her generation seem to believe what they read there and what influencers write than science.

My niece listened to her parents advise and did her own research but an important factor for her was that she is desperate to visit her grandma, my mum, who lives in a care home and does not want to expose her to more risk. She thinks that the only incentive for her friends to have the jab is if they need it to go to night clubs or if it is easier to go on holiday abroad! Although she admitted that a free taxi ride or voucher for a takeaway would be very nice as well!

maddyone Tue 03-Aug-21 09:41:45

Great minds Lucca!

maddyone Tue 03-Aug-21 09:47:08

Having read Teacheranne’s post, and as an ex teacher myself, nonetheless if most young people get their information from social media it makes me wonder about the state of education today. Are youngsters not taught to look further than TicToc, Facebook, and Instagram for their information? It makes me afraid for the future.
Well done to your niece Teacheranne for looking into the situation properly and seeking out correct information.

Lincslass Tue 03-Aug-21 09:48:51

FannyCornforth

GillT57

My adult children had the vaccine because they chose to, my god daughter won't have it and is likely incensed that the government consider her so shallow that she will 'forfeit her health' for the sake of a pizza. What a low opinion this government have of young people.

It’s been fulsomely approved of by Jacob Reese Mogg.
I wonder what incentives would tempt him?

Don’t think Jacob Rees Mogg would need an incentive, trying to protect young people perhaps, I have seen a message from a local young man, dying of Covid, saying he wished he’d been vaccinated. Conspiracy theorists have a lot to answer for.

GillT57 Tue 03-Aug-21 11:19:02

While I share many people's exasperation at some young people's reluctance to have the vaccine based on what they have read on social media, I can see the problem, the inability and unwillingness to believe what the press churn out, what politicians say, it is accepted with a shrug of the shoulders and a 'well they are all dishonest and liars', the confidence that the government is looking after our best interests has never been lower. People on GN dismiss concerns about the liars in cabinet, many aren't concerned about the dishonesty, so why should we expect youngsters to believe them? This nonsense about free kebabs or whatever, is deeply offensive in its inference that all youngsters are daft enough to be bribed in this way.

Aepgirl Tue 03-Aug-21 11:21:31

The problem with youngsters is that they are fortunate to have lived in a country that hasn’t suffered from life-threatening diseases in their lifetime. However, I think the reward of being vaccinated is not catching this deadly virus. Why do young people always expect something more for being public-spirited? Surely living in a country that freely gives the vaccination should be reward itself.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 03-Aug-21 11:25:02

Well, no incentives have been offered in Denmark at all.

54% of the population were fully vaccinated when yesterday's numbers were published this morning, and 72 % had had their first of the two vaccinations.

I think it is quite ridiculous to offer incentives of any kind.

Here the government is advising vaccination and so are the health authorities. If, however, citizens object to vaccination that is their choice. They may well find themselves banned from various forms of public entertainment and public transport, but presumably they are willing to risk that.

winterwhite Tue 03-Aug-21 11:27:08

Many 18 yr olds and over are still living at home, surely parents have a part to play here.

Alegrias1 Tue 03-Aug-21 11:29:29

In the UK, 57% of the population are fully vaccinated and 70% have had their first dose.

We really can stop blaming young, they're doing fine.

Lincslass Tue 03-Aug-21 11:34:27

She will possibly forfeit her health, for the sake of not being vaccinated, as unfortunately some young people already are doing
www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/lincoln-news/lincoln-dad-warning-coronavirus-health-4712475

GillT57 Tue 03-Aug-21 11:36:44

Why do young people always expect something more for being public-spirited? I don't think that is true. It wasn't the target youngsters who were asking for bribes to have the vaccine, it was our stupid out of touch government who thought that was all that was stopping them. This divisive language is nasty, under 30s have only recently been admitted to the vaccine programme, and certainly around here, they have been queueing up at the pop up vaccine centres. The only public and vociferous anti-vaxxers I know are over 60.

Alegrias1 Tue 03-Aug-21 11:38:11

Lincslass

She will possibly forfeit her health, for the sake of not being vaccinated, as unfortunately some young people already are doing
www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/lincoln-news/lincoln-dad-warning-coronavirus-health-4712475

That was 10 months ago, and before we had the vaccine.