Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Kebabs for Jabs

(90 Posts)
Sarnia Mon 02-Aug-21 08:30:32

I daresay there will be divided opinions on the news that young people will be given discounted takeaway food in exchange for them having the vaccine. My first thought on hearing this was what is wrong with so many of our youngsters that they need some sort of a bribe to protect themselves and others from this damned virus and do their bit in getting life back to some sort of normal. Have other countries had this reluctance with their young people or is it just the UK?

FannyCornforth Mon 02-Aug-21 08:42:10

If I were a youngster I’d be straight down to Boots demanding a Vivienne Westwood dress, a bottle of Gordon’s and a kitten.

kittylester Mon 02-Aug-21 08:46:27

Well, if it helps, I'm all for it!

Galaxy Mon 02-Aug-21 08:48:53

Lots of countries are using all sorts of techniques to get all sections of the population to get vaccinated, lots of health campaigns have used a mixture of education and 'carrots' so to speak. I would only have a vaccine if I didnt have to eat a kebab.

sodapop Mon 02-Aug-21 08:53:54

Same here Galaxy that would be no inducement to me either. smile

Alegrias1 Mon 02-Aug-21 09:03:32

Fanny that made me spit out my morning cuppa ??

Other countries have offered incentives to more than just young people, I believe in some US states you could get ammo for your gun confused.

The UK has one of the highest rates of vaccine take up. Even in Japan the acceptance of the vaccines is relatively low, and in Australia they are wary of the AZ one.

Don't blame the young, they are doing fine. I guess a free kebab won't make that much difference for most of them, but as kittylester says, whatever works!

GagaJo Mon 02-Aug-21 09:08:47

FannyCornforth

If I were a youngster I’d be straight down to Boots demanding a Vivienne Westwood dress, a bottle of Gordon’s and a kitten.

Damn! And I had my vaccine with no persuasion needed. I should have held out a bit longer.

Sago Mon 02-Aug-21 09:09:42

Last thing most of my City needs is a kebab!
I’m sure when half the population here are jabbed a bit of gravy leaks out?.

Pammie1 Mon 02-Aug-21 09:10:08

Wouldn’t have thought free food would be much of an incentive and isn’t the uptake of the vaccine quite high among young people anyway ?

eazybee Mon 02-Aug-21 09:23:04

It says rather more about the type of young person who refuses to take the vaccination, for their own good and that of others.

FannyCornforth Mon 02-Aug-21 09:28:35

GagaJo and what similarly patronising bribes would they have offered the over 50s?
A packet of Werthers, a copy of the Daiky Express and a voucher for Wetherspoons?

Biscuitmuncher Mon 02-Aug-21 09:36:12

If I was a young person it would take a lot more than a free pizza to make me inject myself with some untried vaccine! I think they've done enough to protect the vulnerable, this is a step too far

Alegrias1 Mon 02-Aug-21 09:42:14

What about getting yourself injected with a vaccine that has been given to 46 million people in this country alone and saved about 60,000 lives, and to about 3 billion worldwide? I'd have that for a pizza.

Incidentally, you don't have to inject yourself. They do it for you. You really need to find out more about this whole thing. hmm

Doodledog Mon 02-Aug-21 09:50:42

I think it's a bit daft. There was an item about it on Jeremy Vine earlier, and in some countries people (not just young ones) are given live chickens, rollmop herrings, chipolatas, popcorn and a marijuana joint (not all at once - these were one per country!) as inducements. Some of these would put me off getting it - what would I do with a live chicken?

I can't help thinking that the sort of person who would get vaccinated because of bribes would reject it if he bribe didn't suit them, so it would be counterproductive. If the bribes changed after a while, people would be encouraged to hang on to get the best deal possible.

I would use more of a stick approach, and increase the number of things that can only be done by the double jabbed, but only when everyone has had the chance to get both vaccinations.

FannyCornforth Mon 02-Aug-21 09:58:32

Doodledog now you’re talking!
There’s not a great deal that I wouldnt do for a live chicken and a spliff!

Doodledog Mon 02-Aug-21 10:40:29

Move to California ?. You might have to provide your own chicken, but the other half of the deal would be sorted.

Petera Mon 02-Aug-21 10:50:02

kittylester

Well, if it helps, I'm all for it!

I agree.

But I hope there isn't a problem coming further down the line - if I were to be persuaded by some gift then, when boosters become a thing I'd be more likely not to have one and wait to see what else I could get free.

Galaxy Mon 02-Aug-21 10:55:21

I am getting old. I would much prefer a live chicken to a spliff.

winterwhite Mon 02-Aug-21 11:04:04

The PM is reaping what he has sewn.
There's clearly a solid bedrock of younger people who never read a newspaper or watch a TV news programme, and who are programmed to distrust this Govt, which has shown it distrusts them and can now find no better way to communicate with them than via free kebabs - like feeding animals through the railings in a zoo.

Doodledog Mon 02-Aug-21 11:06:51

I wold panic at the thought of being given a live chicken?.

Rollmop herrings wouldn't incentivise me to do much either. I can take or leave popcorn or chipolatas, but if I could have a cookie instead of a spliff (asthma ?) I could be tempted.

I still think that bribes are a silly idea though.

BlueBelle Mon 02-Aug-21 11:21:45

I don’t know any young people who would be tempted by a pizza maybe a ticket to a festival or a few cocktails but a pizza or kebab !!! (and I have 7 late teen early 20 grandchildren plus their friends )
I think it’s pretty ridiculous
In my area 92% of the young have come forward for jabs according to an NHS post I read recently
Maybe they are targeting the wrong audience
I’d love a live chicken but my garden wouldn’t,

greenlady102 Mon 02-Aug-21 11:27:32

Pammie1

Wouldn’t have thought free food would be much of an incentive and isn’t the uptake of the vaccine quite high among young people anyway ?

no it isn't www.ft.com/content/33cac8ae-1716-4e29-af25-850430830d23

JaneJudge Mon 02-Aug-21 11:29:42

It does sound daft but I imagine it will work, especially with students.

NfkDumpling Mon 02-Aug-21 13:31:06

A lot of people will do anything for a freebie. Even when it costs them money to buy something they'd had no intention of buying in order to get it. So I have no doubt it will work. I just hope its given to ALL of the under 30s otherwise its not fair on the responsible ones who've already been vaccinated.

I'm pleased it's not cash though.

GillT57 Mon 02-Aug-21 13:38:45

My adult children had the vaccine because they chose to, my god daughter won't have it and is likely incensed that the government consider her so shallow that she will 'forfeit her health' for the sake of a pizza. What a low opinion this government have of young people.