Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Kebabs for Jabs

(91 Posts)
Sarnia Mon 02-Aug-21 08:30:32

I daresay there will be divided opinions on the news that young people will be given discounted takeaway food in exchange for them having the vaccine. My first thought on hearing this was what is wrong with so many of our youngsters that they need some sort of a bribe to protect themselves and others from this damned virus and do their bit in getting life back to some sort of normal. Have other countries had this reluctance with their young people or is it just the UK?

Bazza Tue 03-Aug-21 18:12:28

So maybe these bribes will incentivise some to have the first vaccination, but what about the second one? Double kebab? I did see on tv news that one state in the USA were giving out $100 supermarket vouchers. So who pays?

Jayne16 Tue 03-Aug-21 18:20:49

A lot of youngsters are quite happily ingesting recreational drugs, which could kill them, but won't have a perfectly safe vaccination which could save their lives. Where is the sense in that?

Alioop Tue 03-Aug-21 18:24:12

Just watched our local news there and if you went for a jab today you got a ticket for a music festival in August and there they were, all queuing from 6am. I'm sure others are fuming if they went last week for theirs, that they don't feel so hard done by, that they won't bother go for their 2nd jab.

Alegrias1 Tue 03-Aug-21 18:24:52

No, really, let's stop making stuff up about young people.

GillT57 Tue 03-Aug-21 20:53:33

Well if I was a young person who had been in lockdown to protect the elderly and vulnerable, and then read some of the posts on here I would wonder why I had bothered.

Lucca Tue 03-Aug-21 22:10:10

I sometimes wonder if some “grans” were ever young

Biscuitmuncher Tue 03-Aug-21 22:35:51

I think it's shocking how little is thought of young people

Gabrielle56 Wed 04-Aug-21 09:07:09

We mature citizens did our duty, spent gawd knows how long on phone booking dates. Driving miles to a strange town(no directions or parking when we got there!?) Lined up like divvies. What did we get? Sweets Jack you-know-what! If the vaccines WEREN'T ok , we could have been mutated into ...ooh I dunno....entitled millennials?!?... Lots of youngsters now are a bunch of self opinionated thickos! Those who know have willingly taken one for the team, we never even knew what a vaccine was half the time, we trusted, we had them , we survived into adulthood and beyond? in black and white days we would have been shouted at "do as your told!" .... And would have done so.....

Alegrias1 Wed 04-Aug-21 09:10:15

I can't tell which are the wind-ups and which are serious any more.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 04-Aug-21 09:17:02

Oh dear…

In the words of Pink Floyd leave the kids alone

GillT57 Wed 04-Aug-21 11:39:12

I rest my case

NotSpaghetti Wed 04-Aug-21 13:12:41

Alegrias1

I can't tell which are the wind-ups and which are serious any more.

Nor can I. Pretty grim state of affairs.

I certainly don't recommend anyone should just do as they're told!
I rarely did - and don't reccomend it as a general principle.

JaneJudge Wed 04-Aug-21 14:10:53

I have children (and nieces and nephews) in their 20s and they are not as hedonistic as we used to be. They drink very little and I don't know any of them taking pills/drugs. They seem to be better educated on the risks than we were...just an observation. I remember having a chat with one of mine about what they put in ecstasy these days and it not being like it used to be and he was absolutely horrified grin and lets not get onto my good v bad marijuana chats blush

maddyone Wed 04-Aug-21 16:05:41

Unfortunately I had a very authoritarian mother and not doing as I was told was not an option. Therefore no one will be surprised to learn that I was anything but hedonistic. I didn’t do drugs of any kind unless you count alcohol, and I’m still very partial to the odd glass of wine. However it certainly seems to be true that some young people are shunning alcohol and drugs these days, but I don’t think it’s the majority, if the street scenes in club areas are anything to go by (pre Covid) and the ambulances lined up in such areas on a Saturday night are anything to go by. Plus we know drug abuse is rising, so I don’t think we can claim young people are paragons of virtue these days, but and I think this is very important to remember, young people have given up far, far more than those of us who are older. I know some will claim it’s for the benefit of everyone, but I’m afraid the stats don’t bear that out. Young people are at minute risk of serious illness or death from Covid, so any sacrifices they have made have been made for us.

Jaxjacky Wed 04-Aug-21 16:34:13

Liverpool FC are giving away tickets for a pre-season game if you send a photo of your first or second vaccination. I’m sure that will get a response.