Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Stats on the up

(273 Posts)
Daisymae Thu 26-Aug-21 07:43:42

All the Covid rates are up, infection, hospitalisation and death. That's in the last days of summer. Just watched an interview with the Director of public health Warrington on Breakfast and she said that people can go to festivals as we've all been very good. During the interview she also stated that her local hospital was nearing capacity. The message to me seemed very contradictory. It seems to me that we are sleep walking into another terrible time. Why are messages not being reinforced - masking up, socially distancing, keeping away from crowds? A lot of people believe that it's all over.

Lillie Tue 31-Aug-21 11:53:09

i was out with the grandkids at the weekend and wiped down the drinks cans and carton juices we bought from stalls
i think the risk is low but those kind of things will have been handled or breathed on by many and then make contact with the face
and i wiped down the picnic tables and benches

i wouldnt do all this at home or at a friends
thats what i mean about living with it when i need to

MayBee70 Tue 31-Aug-21 12:00:33

Just spoken to the third person in a week that is suffering from long covid. All of them have been tradespeople that have had to continue working in other peoples homes throughout the pandemic and, being self employed, are having to continue working now albeit having to deal with the fatigue etc. I feel so sorry for everyone suffering from it.

maddyone Tue 31-Aug-21 12:29:20

Working in other people’s homes is an obvious risk. It’s not surprising that these people contracted Covid. They were in an enclosed space breathing in whatever was in the atmosphere in the house. I only go into the homes of my family and my mother’s care home, and I acknowledge that this has a small risk. Especially the care home, but what can I do? I can’t not visit her, but the home do take all reasonable precautions. Otherwise my two sons and their families are pretty careful and are fully vaccinated, except for our grandson. I don’t go into the homes of anyone else at the moment. We would consider meeting family in the garden as being overly cautious, but I know some people still meet their adult children in the garden. If that’s what they want to do, that’s fine, but we don’t consider it necessary.

SueDonim Tue 31-Aug-21 13:13:17

Those wipes wouldn’t kill Coronavirus, Lillie. They’re antibacterial wipes but Covid is caused by a virus.

Lillie Tue 31-Aug-21 14:13:12

thank you sue
i will take a look
the wipes i have for hands have alcohol and other chemicals in which no doubt kill the virus
fine for the tables but i didnt want to use them where the kids are licking the cans
i might enter the bought drinks into their water bottles if they will let me

FarNorth Tue 31-Aug-21 14:35:10

Would they not at least wipe it off, tho, Sue?

growstuff Tue 31-Aug-21 14:45:13

FarNorth

Would they not at least wipe it off, tho, Sue?

No, not necessarily. Anti-bac wipes are a waste of time and money against a virus. You'd be better with a small bottle of washing up liquid (or any soap), which would break down the virus cell, or 70% alcohol.

growstuff Tue 31-Aug-21 14:47:46

How soap kills Covid-19:

en.unesco.org/news/how-soap-kills-covid-19-hands

MaizieD Tue 31-Aug-21 15:50:31

Covid is rarely transmitted via contaminated surfaces. It's airborne by means of aerosols, which linger in the air. It's the air that you need to worry about. If you're closely surrounded by lots of people and there is no breeze it's quite risky, even in the open air.

All this cleaning is performative (though no doubt keeping other bugs at bay)

www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00251-4?utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=commission_junction&utm_campaign=3_nsn6445_deeplink_PID100053419&utm_content=deeplink

maddyone Tue 31-Aug-21 17:18:08

Good article Maizie.

growstuff Tue 31-Aug-21 17:35:11

I wonder how many state schools have had their ventilation improved over the holidays.

Stand back for all the propaganda about how teenagers aren't affected by Covid.

MawBe Tue 31-Aug-21 17:39:50

MaizieD

Covid is rarely transmitted via contaminated surfaces. It's airborne by means of aerosols, which linger in the air. It's the air that you need to worry about. If you're closely surrounded by lots of people and there is no breeze it's quite risky, even in the open air.

All this cleaning is performative (though no doubt keeping other bugs at bay)

www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00251-4?utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=commission_junction&utm_campaign=3_nsn6445_deeplink_PID100053419&utm_content=deeplink

There was some interesting stuff on this on Radio 4 yesterday and the importance of good ventilation , indoors , in schools, offices and the likes s of church halls, through draughts and “changing “ the air by vacating the space and giving a bit of a blow through made good sense.

growstuff Tue 31-Aug-21 17:41:09

Yes, MawBe, school staff have been going on about it for ages, but absolutely nothing has been done.

JaneJudge Tue 31-Aug-21 17:42:01

growstuff

Yes, MawBe, school staff have been going on about it for ages, but absolutely nothing has been done.

They'll just sit in coats again in class

growstuff Tue 31-Aug-21 17:47:15

Unfortunately, that's exactly what will happen. Sadly, the incidence rates are higher now than they were last September, schools have been told not to keep children in bubbles and not to report cases, unless there at least five positive cases, so there will be a cover up. There are rumours that the NHS is preparing to vaccinate over 12 year olds, but there is still no official announcement.

Ah well! I'm sure they'll all learn to live with it! (Well, most of them will live - sod the ones who end up with long Covid or transmitting it to family members).

MayBee70 Tue 31-Aug-21 17:59:54

The government have had 18 months to do something about ventilation in schools and all we still have seems to be opening windows. If, in fact, there are windows that open.

Casdon Tue 31-Aug-21 18:07:44

This was announced for Wales yesterday
www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/clean-air-technology-covid-schools-21439360
Making the commitment to do this is good, but it looks like a complicated operation to actually get it operational in every school.

SueDonim Tue 31-Aug-21 18:53:31

growstuff

I wonder how many state schools have had their ventilation improved over the holidays.

My daughter made arrangements over the summer for improved ventilation for all the state schools she cares for. She knew this was coming and ordered equipment early!

rosie1959 Tue 31-Aug-21 18:54:49

According to Gov.uk all state schools will have CO2 monitors in the classrooms from September There is a trial in Bradford to install air purifying units of different types into 20 schools against a control of 10 schools with no units They obviously have to see if this works as it doesn’t come cheap
I can understand the reticence in vaccinations for 12 to 16 year olds if they have no underlying medical conditions

MaizieD Tue 31-Aug-21 19:14:50

there is some criticism of Wales for going ahead with the ozone based air cleaner. It has to be used in an empty room because ozone is toxic. Which seems to me to be a bit pointless because ideally you want the air to be cleaned while the children are in the room breathing in and out covid aerosols.

Units with HEPA filters which can be used when the room is occupied seem more practical.

CO2 monitors are fine up to a point but what is the school supposed to do if it shows a too high concentration? Whip all the children out until it goes down?

Casdon Tue 31-Aug-21 19:25:58

Yes, it discusses the issue with ozone technology in the article MaizieD. The truth is though that there isn’t any easy solution to this, the need is ahead of the capacity/technology at the moment. In the short term vaccinating 12-15 year olds will have more impact.

Callistemon Tue 31-Aug-21 19:43:00

MaizieD

there is some criticism of Wales for going ahead with the ozone based air cleaner. It has to be used in an empty room because ozone is toxic. Which seems to me to be a bit pointless because ideally you want the air to be cleaned while the children are in the room breathing in and out covid aerosols.

Units with HEPA filters which can be used when the room is occupied seem more practical.

CO2 monitors are fine up to a point but what is the school supposed to do if it shows a too high concentration? Whip all the children out until it goes down?

I hadn't heard about this!

The DGC are due back at school next week, I hope they're not going to use this.
Open the windows instead.

Callistemon Tue 31-Aug-21 19:45:49

£3.31m will be provided for new ozone disinfecting machines, to reduce cleaning times, improve disinfection and reduce costs. The funding is expected to supply more than 1,800 machines, at least one for every school, college and university in Wales.

At least one for every school - some schools have dozens of rooms and well over 1,000 pupils.
Will they set them going every night, I wonder?

growstuff Tue 31-Aug-21 20:35:15

SueDonim

growstuff

My daughter made arrangements over the summer for improved ventilation for all the state schools she cares for. She knew this was coming and ordered equipment early!

I don't suppose she's in charge of all the state schools in England (or the UK). The vast majority will not have adequate ventilation, masks won't be compulsory and there will be no attempt to keep pupils in "bubbles" or inform others if there are confirmed infections.

Williamson has already started the blame game ball rolling by stating that it will be parents' fault for not testing their children with (faulty) LFTs, if schools are forced to close.

growstuff Tue 31-Aug-21 20:36:41

rosie1959

According to Gov.uk all state schools will have CO2 monitors in the classrooms from September There is a trial in Bradford to install air purifying units of different types into 20 schools against a control of 10 schools with no units They obviously have to see if this works as it doesn’t come cheap
I can understand the reticence in vaccinations for 12 to 16 year olds if they have no underlying medical conditions

Well, that's a lie! All state schools will not have CO2 monitors from the first day of term.