Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Waning immunity

(48 Posts)
Atqui Fri 03-Sep-21 12:39:36

Is anyone else worried about this? My H and I had 2nd jab in February. At the time cases were very low where we live , and of course we were in lockdown. Now we have highest cases in the country and it’s 6 months since the jab !

theworriedwell Sun 05-Sep-21 13:09:38

maddyone I hope the holiday goes well. I think lots of people seem to be struggling more now, it's almost as if it has all piled up and suddenly hit us. I broke my ankle a few weeks ago and felt very worried going to the hospital but once there I was OK so maybe your holiday will be the same but less painful and more fun.smile

maddyone Sun 05-Sep-21 11:21:43

Thank you for reassurances theworriedwell. Other people have reassured me too, but the rising numbers are really spooking me. I was much more confident a couple of months ago. The fear is inside my head, despite knowing all the facts, and it’s hard to get rid of the fear. We’re going to Zakinthos in two weeks, and my husband says if I don’t relax I won’t be able to enjoy my holiday (with isolated accommodation, not a hotel) and I think he’s right. We went to Kefalonia this time last year, and I wasn’t really very worried then, but the numbers were very low.

theworriedwell Sat 04-Sep-21 22:35:40

maddyone

I am frightened because I had Covid and was seriously ill with it. I was pretty confident after I recovered from Covid and had the two vaccines, but numbers are rising and I’m unwillingly feeling a lot more nervous about it. One lovely poster on here (I cant remember who) pointed out that having had the virus and the vaccines I should have very good immunity, and so I should have. However I can’t help feeling more nervous about the coming winter.
Please keep posting Alegrias because I always find your posts re Covid both sensible and reassuring.

One of my children is a nurse and got covid when working very long shifts in December due to so many colleagues being off stick. Went down with it on Christmas Day but felt it was worth it as the others were coming back to work and they were through the worst numbers wise with staff.

A few weeks later they got the jab and then the second. It just happened that the person giving the jab was a very high up consultant, it was all hands to the pumps, and they said you should be very safe after the infection plus jabs. Made me feel happier, it was a horrible time not being together at Christmas, not able to travel 300 miles to do anything for them. It seems along time ago now.

maddyone Sat 04-Sep-21 19:23:38

Chestnut I heard that interview with Sarah Gilbert, and I’m wondering what has happened about that too.

maddyone Sat 04-Sep-21 19:22:25

I am frightened because I had Covid and was seriously ill with it. I was pretty confident after I recovered from Covid and had the two vaccines, but numbers are rising and I’m unwillingly feeling a lot more nervous about it. One lovely poster on here (I cant remember who) pointed out that having had the virus and the vaccines I should have very good immunity, and so I should have. However I can’t help feeling more nervous about the coming winter.
Please keep posting Alegrias because I always find your posts re Covid both sensible and reassuring.

Alegrias1 Sat 04-Sep-21 17:07:36

A bit of googling from me and a bit of adding bits together from different sites....

JCVI have recommended a booster program for some people, but the vaccine that will be used is not defined yet. There are trials on the go for "new, improved" versions of all of the vaccines we have been using, including the Oxford one. The best thing might be to get a mixed booster, i.e. if you had Pfizer you get AZ as a booster. Not everybody over the age of 50 will get the first shot at a booster.

Should be pointed out that the current generation of vaccines already handle the new variants.

Basically, anything could happen and I'm waiting patiently.

Chestnut Sat 04-Sep-21 16:27:36

I remember earlier this year Sarah Gilbert (Oxford vaccine) was interviewed and she said they were tweaking the original vaccine as she spoke to enable it to handle the new variants. She said this would be rolled out in Autumn 2021. It was version 2 basically, and not the same as the original vaccine. So I've been waiting ever since for this splendid new version 2 to be given. What has happened to that?

Daisymae Sat 04-Sep-21 15:59:41

It's already been widely reported that the CMOs are likely to recommend vaccination for 12 - 15 year olds as there's a benefit to the wider community and children's education as opposed to individual benefit. I don't know what I would do if I were a parent if this age group. There's a very small individual risk, but it's not nothing.

twinnytwin Sat 04-Sep-21 10:45:44

On 18 August both my DH and I had a text from our GP to say plans are underway for flu and Covid 3rd doses shortly and gave the place. We await the date. We had our first doses In January.

henetha Sat 04-Sep-21 10:32:01

Yes, Atqui, I've been concerned about this for some time, having had my first jab in January. My surgery had no news of our boosters when I phoned them recently.

Alegrias1 Sat 04-Sep-21 10:27:08

I'm haven't watched that episode of Dr Campbell's videos MayBee70, so I can't really comment.

It did occur to me this morning that it is possible for all of us to just know too much. I never thought I'd say that....

If this had happened 30 years ago, we would have found out that there were a number of vaccines that worked really well, and most of us would have taken what we were given. I'm not suggesting we never question the medical establishment, certainly not, but there comes a time when the marginal effects of something are too marginal for your average member of the public to make a call on.

MayBee70 Sat 04-Sep-21 09:54:26

Alegrias1

Sometimes I think we just have too much information right at our fingertips and the press love to make a mountain out of a molehill.

My prediction - we'll be vaccinating healthy 12 - 15 year olds by this time next week.

You saw it here first.

Well, we’ll soon know what the result of covid sweeping through that age group will be. Algerias. What do you make of what DrJohn says about the vaccines. Statistically the Pfizer vaccine, safe as it is, can adversely affect young males with myocarditis whereas the AZ vaccine is more likely to affect young females. So he feels that it would be safer to give young males the AZ vaccine. And that it’s best if people avoid strenuous exercise for a short while after having the vaccine just in case of myocarditis. I know it sounds as though I hang onto every word that DrJohn utters but he always backs it up with statistics and I only believe him if it’s something that makes sense to me, too.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 04-Sep-21 09:28:08

Alegrias1

The press are getting hung up in the difference between advocating a universal vaccination program and allowing young people of that age to be vaccinated.

I have avoided general coverage only watched the interviews with Professor Harnden.

Either end of the lifespan evokes emotional responses.

Alegrias1 Sat 04-Sep-21 09:23:31

The press are getting hung up in the difference between advocating a universal vaccination program and allowing young people of that age to be vaccinated.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 04-Sep-21 09:15:22

Alegrias1

Sometimes I think we just have too much information right at our fingertips and the press love to make a mountain out of a molehill.

My prediction - we'll be vaccinating healthy 12 - 15 year olds by this time next week.

You saw it here first.

You could be right, hopefully in a years time there will be more data available on the benefits of doing this.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 04-Sep-21 09:13:39

*myocarditis not *cardiomyoits

Alegrias1 Sat 04-Sep-21 09:12:23

You saw it here first.

theworriedwell Sat 04-Sep-21 09:09:03

Heard someone from the JCVI on the news this morning, one of the reasons for not doing the 12 - 15 age group is they might need time off school if they aren't well after the jab. Such a shame they just had six weeks off school and that time was wasted.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 04-Sep-21 08:36:17

I have just listened to Professor Anthony Harnden, deputy Chair of JCVI, he was very informative and clear on why they have advised against vaccination of healthy 12-15 yr olds.

growstuff They have weighed up the risk of Covid versus cardiomyoits along with other vaccine side effects, they are experts in their field.

Calling them idiots because you do not agree?

MayBee70 Fri 03-Sep-21 21:07:39

If even a small number of schoolchildren get long covid that’s still a hell of a lot of children that could lose their adolescence coping with a debilitating illness. And, given that many will be asymptomatic they will be spreading it at home. I assume there is no longer any requirement for children to wear masks on school buses. And still the government haven’t updated their symptom checker.

growstuff Fri 03-Sep-21 20:54:32

GrannyGravy13

growstuff they have weighed up the risks, they are the experts and are far from idiots…

Yes, they have weighed up the risks and the conclusion in their own report is that the risk from Covid is higher than any known risk from vaccination. How do you explain that? Please stop parroting the media propaganda. They're idiots! They didn't even consider the known effects of long Covid and, as I predicted a few days ago, the BBC et al has been producing nonsense. They're a bunch of liars. Secondary schoolchildren will be in school with inadequate ventilation, no masks, no bubbles, no social distancing, very few vaccinated and no requirement to inform contacts. They're even required to be in school if a family member tests positive. Nobody needs to be a brain surgeon to work out what will happen.

grannyrebel7 Fri 03-Sep-21 20:07:18

The lorry driver shortage is everything to do with Brexit. They tried to blame it on the pingdemic at first but that was just a cover up. It's the same as putting the spotlight on poor old Pen Farthing to disguise the fact that this bloody government had screwed up once again.

MerylStreep Fri 03-Sep-21 19:59:08

Just in case there’s somebody who doesn’t know how it works.

theblacksea.eu/stories/romanian-trucker-polish-wage-dutch-workplace/

Alegrias1 Fri 03-Sep-21 19:58:59

The situation in Poland and in all the other countries experiencing driver shortages has been explained in other threads. Not by me.

However, we're the only country that have decided to add to the problem by having Brexit.

But thanks for the English lesson Call.

MerylStreep Fri 03-Sep-21 19:53:44

Alegrias
True. But that still doesn’t explain the situation in Poland.
They were always the highest numbers of continental drivers on our roads but they are not here now,