Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Waning immunity

(47 Posts)
Atqui Fri 03-Sep-21 12:39:36

Is anyone else worried about this? My H and I had 2nd jab in February. At the time cases were very low where we live , and of course we were in lockdown. Now we have highest cases in the country and it’s 6 months since the jab !

Daisymae Fri 03-Sep-21 14:24:51

Well, I'm concerned. It's something that I am keeping an eye on. Will take a booster as and when its offered but aside from that, no much that can be done.

vegansrock Fri 03-Sep-21 14:29:37

France are offering everyone over 65 a booster from now. Plus they are vaccinating secondary school children before they go back to school. Seems like all the boasting about being first out of the traps in the vaccine race ( was it a race?) has gone quiet.

GrandmaKT Fri 03-Sep-21 14:47:38

Yes, I read yesterday that the covid rates are surging in Israel. They were one of the first to get the population vaccinated, so the thought is that immunity is now diminishing.

Dustyhen2010 Fri 03-Sep-21 15:08:27

GrandmaKT

Yes, I read yesterday that the covid rates are surging in Israel. They were one of the first to get the population vaccinated, so the thought is that immunity is now diminishing.

From what I have read the situation in Israel is different to here as first and second doses were 21 days apart there and we were much more. I believe studies have shown that leaving the second dose for a longer time produces better immunity. Our levels may therefore be different to the immunity levels in Israel.

Casdon Fri 03-Sep-21 15:28:21

The risk is still small though, there’s very limited evidence yet that immunity is waning in the UK. According to BBC news this morning, of the 4,374 people who have been hospitalised aged 50 and over with the Delta variant, 30% were unvaccinated, 9% had received one dose and 61% had received two doses. So, 2668 fully vaccinated people over 50 have been admitted to hospital out of about 18m in the category - and we know that many of those are immune- compromised so will be in the 1% who are definitely getting a booster vaccine. There’s a much greater chance of contracting the Delta variant now the numbers are rising, but not yet that you will be seriously ill.

theworriedwell Fri 03-Sep-21 15:33:01

vegansrock

France are offering everyone over 65 a booster from now. Plus they are vaccinating secondary school children before they go back to school. Seems like all the boasting about being first out of the traps in the vaccine race ( was it a race?) has gone quiet.

I'd been think that about all the but but but vaccinations vaccinations vaccinations whenever Johnson and co were asked a tricky question. Haven't heard that response for a while and I think lots of countries are catching us up or have passed us.

MayBee70 Fri 03-Sep-21 15:36:25

And fewer people seem to be getting long covid even with the new variant although there are still far too many people suffering from it. I do hope my age group will be offered a booster. But what happened to them just being able to tweak the vaccines to cover new variants? It looks as though we’re just going to be offered the Pfizer vaccine. Yet again, and in no way am I being anti vaccine, I worry about the influence Pfizer seem to have. And what’s happening about therapeutics?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 03-Sep-21 15:36:31

The JCVI have just announced that they will not be recommending Covid vaccinations for 12-15 yr olds (Sky News)

GrannyGravy13 Fri 03-Sep-21 15:38:12

MayBee70

And fewer people seem to be getting long covid even with the new variant although there are still far too many people suffering from it. I do hope my age group will be offered a booster. But what happened to them just being able to tweak the vaccines to cover new variants? It looks as though we’re just going to be offered the Pfizer vaccine. Yet again, and in no way am I being anti vaccine, I worry about the influence Pfizer seem to have. And what’s happening about therapeutics?

I read somewhere, (sorry cannot remember) that if a booster is offered it will be Pfizer if you had Astra Zeneca and vice versa.

growstuff Fri 03-Sep-21 18:29:05

GrannyGravy13

The JCVI have just announced that they will not be recommending Covid vaccinations for 12-15 yr olds (Sky News)

Idiots!

GrannyGravy13 Fri 03-Sep-21 18:41:20

growstuff they have weighed up the risks, they are the experts and are far from idiots…

MayBee70 Fri 03-Sep-21 18:47:09

GrannyGravy13

growstuff they have weighed up the risks, they are the experts and are far from idiots…

Isn’t our infection rate the highest in Europe because of their advice?

Zoejory Fri 03-Sep-21 18:48:50

growstuff

GrannyGravy13

Idiots!

I'm surprised by this as well. It seems that many other countries are vaccinating this age group.

I'd not be at all surprised if this changes in the near future

Casdon Fri 03-Sep-21 18:59:23

They didn’t actually say they didn’t recommend vaccinations for 12-15 year olds though, they said that on clinical grounds alone they could not justify recommending vaccination, and have referred the decision to the government to make based on wider considerations such as education and risk to others.

MayBee70 Fri 03-Sep-21 19:32:47

Just said on the news that there might be delay with vaccinating people due to the shortage of lorry drivers. DH says it’s on the BBC website. Another brexit bonus? Silly me. The lorry driver shortage is nothing to do with brexit confused….

MerylStreep Fri 03-Sep-21 19:38:18

MayBee70
How do you explain the shortage of lorry drivers in Poland.

www.clecat.org/en/news/newsletters/driver-shortage-impact-road-freight-market

Katie59 Fri 03-Sep-21 19:42:25

Our infection rate is very high, but that’s hardly surprising, we are testing far more than other countries. A lot of positive cases would go unnoticed, with fairly liberal distancing and high testing rates when will we ever see an end to Covid.

Alegrias1 Fri 03-Sep-21 19:43:55

MayBee70

Just said on the news that there might be delay with vaccinating people due to the shortage of lorry drivers. DH says it’s on the BBC website. Another brexit bonus? Silly me. The lorry driver shortage is nothing to do with brexit confused….

Flu jabs, not covid jabs, not yet anyway.

Meryl literally in the first paragraph of the link you posted they say that the problem in the UK is exacerbated by Brexit.

Callistemon Fri 03-Sep-21 19:46:02

Interesting link, MeryStreep.

I commented to DH as we drove home today "Who would be a truck driver now?".

The traffic jams were horrendous and are so frequent now; the speed limits on the motorways here are 50 mph in some areas in order to reduce pollution. What this does is cause huge holdups and jams causing more pollution than ever.
So many lorries were caught up in this - when would they ever finish their work crawling along at 2 mph?

They deserve a far better deal than most get at the moment.

Callistemon Fri 03-Sep-21 19:47:23

Meryl literally in the first paragraph of the link you posted they say that the problem in the UK is exacerbated by Brexit.

Exacerbated and caused by have different meanings.
This is Europe-wide

MayBee70 Fri 03-Sep-21 19:50:01

But it doesn’t help does it. It is just another problem to add onto covid given that it isn’t going as well as was hoped.

MerylStreep Fri 03-Sep-21 19:53:44

Alegrias
True. But that still doesn’t explain the situation in Poland.
They were always the highest numbers of continental drivers on our roads but they are not here now,

Alegrias1 Fri 03-Sep-21 19:58:59

The situation in Poland and in all the other countries experiencing driver shortages has been explained in other threads. Not by me.

However, we're the only country that have decided to add to the problem by having Brexit.

But thanks for the English lesson Call.

MerylStreep Fri 03-Sep-21 19:59:08

Just in case there’s somebody who doesn’t know how it works.

theblacksea.eu/stories/romanian-trucker-polish-wage-dutch-workplace/