Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Face masks - Please recommend the most comfortable vented mask

(39 Posts)
Esspee Tue 19-Oct-21 18:33:03

Getting to see my granddaughters will require a long flight wearing a face mask. I hate wearing a mask as my glasses steam up but wear one in shops etc. to protect others.
I need recommendations for a vented, comfortable face mask plus ideas on how to cope with extended wear.

4allweknow Thu 21-Oct-21 14:38:37

Don't know how much money I have wasted on anti fog wipes, cloths and liquid, and all seem to leave a film on my glasses that I feel I am looking through a fog. I have to clean my glasses with water and dry with a tissue to feel they are clear. I have worn glasses for 60 years and way back in the day I used to have a Calotherm cloth that worked wonders at keeping fogging at bay when on a warm steamy bus in the winter. Nothing compares nowadays.

Esspee Thu 21-Oct-21 16:14:18

Greciangirl

Where can I buy silk masks, please anyone,?

www.thebigsilk.com is the recommended one I am considering.
Just Google silk face masks to find other suppliers.

poshpaws Thu 21-Oct-21 16:57:07

Esspee

Yes, thank you everyone I had thought that a vented mask would be more comfortable as I get panicky when my breathing is restricted. I hadn’t realised it doesn’t protect others.
I am now thinking that medical grade masks might be best as nurses and doctors have to wear them for extended periods. The idea of silk being more breathable and kinder to the skin also appeals but know of nobody who has used them.

Is there anybody on here who is able to share their experience of wearing a mask for extended periods?

It's probably not as long as your flight will be, but I wore one for an 8 hour train journey which was so comfy that I truly forgot I had it on. I didn't get fogged up glasses because if one simply puts the rim of the glasses just over the nose of the mask it stops the fogging up.

It wasn't a cheap mask, but it is worth every penny, and you only have to replace the filter after 200 hours of actual use.

Check it out on u-maskstore.eu/collections/all

(I chose the "Amnesia" colourway and it's very pretty!)

Esspee Thu 21-Oct-21 18:55:59

Thank you poshpaws I’ve had a look. I’m afraid they are out of my price range at £36 each but must be popular as Amnesia is sold out.

Kalu Thu 21-Oct-21 19:13:31

Worth having a look on Amazon for silk masks. I bought two last year and find them more comfortable to wear.

Grandma2014 Thu 21-Oct-21 22:00:33

I did a nine hour flight to Vancouver to see my granddaughters last month. I wore a surgical mask and by the time I’d travelled in a taxi to the airport, waited to board at the airport and travelled on the plane, I’d been in my mask for 13 hours. It was horrible. I felt very travel sick.
On my return flight I used a number of lighter cotton masks and changed them regularly. I trusted the PCR testing of my fellow passengers to keep me safe. The lighter masks made a massive difference and Air Canada did not ask for heavier masks, although vented masks were not allowed.
My only other advice is to print out all your paperwork. Do not rely on your phone to provide the relevant details when you’re tired and can’t actually read the screen!

Smurf52 Thu 21-Oct-21 22:05:48

I've bought a plastic holed cage to put under my mask. It helps me breathe better.

mokryna Thu 21-Oct-21 22:23:50

* Grandma2014* I wear a surgical mask when I travel and I change them often, every 4 hours, like medical staff, children in schools and others who have to wear them every day. I would wear them longer.

danceagran Fri 22-Oct-21 13:40:31

Grandma 2014 This is what concerns me. With arriving at the airport 3 hours in advance, a 9 hour flight, and a couple of hours in immigration, makes about 14 hours in a mask. Not pleasant. I want to see my grandchildren, so I must do it somehow.

Gabrielle56 Fri 22-Oct-21 14:24:47

Esspee

Getting to see my granddaughters will require a long flight wearing a face mask. I hate wearing a mask as my glasses steam up but wear one in shops etc. to protect others.
I need recommendations for a vented, comfortable face mask plus ideas on how to cope with extended wear.

Vented masks are a complete waste of time! They stop precisely NIL emissions. Best masks? Those made with polypropylene layers preferably sandwiched between cotton in 3 layers. I use Bristol masks online shop , really good value brilliant masks and made in .... Bristol! They also donate to NHS with every sale what's not to like?!

Gabrielle56 Fri 22-Oct-21 14:29:46

Again silk? Nope don't stop anything. We have to be prepared for some discomfort, feeling as if we can't breathe? (When reality is that unless we have medical conditions, we can actually breathe and need to get over ourselves!) And just have the chutzpah to just get on with it in the interests of safety for all. I get annoyed at all the "ooh I can't wear" polyester/cotton/nylon/etc etc! Attention seeking ? It's a good job we don't have to wear gas masks like our parents isn't it? We're all so fragile, we'd probably explode.........what a joke

Esspee Fri 22-Oct-21 20:44:46

I used a medical grade mask for an hour today and felt panicked. My face was bright red and I was sweating profusely.

I’m not the fragile type Gabrielle56. Very simply when my breathing is restricted and my face is roasting my body reacts, my pulse and blood pressure soars, and I gasp for breath.
I can and do wear a mask indoors in public places (In Scotland about 95% of the people comply) but I restrict the length of time I am in that situation. I have no control over the length of time I will have to remain masked on the plane. I am doing everything I can to make the journey bearable.

PJG1972 Fri 05-Nov-21 11:58:23

I bought a couple from mortonmulberrysilk.com/ and they were really nice and comfy.

Much nicer than wearing a normal mask and don't tend to rub your skin as much.