Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Booster vaccination

(387 Posts)
Shelflife Thu 21-Oct-21 17:49:30

Will be six months on Sunday since I had my second Covid vaccination. I have not been invited for the booster. I recognize there will be lots of people in the same situation but wondered if any GN s have any advise as to how a booster can be speeded up. I have been on NHS website and was informed I was not eligible at this time for the booster - I am 72 and feeling anxious now.

Shelflife Thu 21-Oct-21 19:46:55

Thankyou Witzend , I will follow your advice.

SueDonim Thu 21-Oct-21 19:50:49

Thank you, Marydoll - you’re the first person I’ve come across who has known what the difference is. Everyone else has been baffled by it!

Marydoll Thu 21-Oct-21 19:52:46

Sue, I only found out by accident. Another Scottish gran has had a third vaccination and explained the difference.

rascal Thu 21-Oct-21 20:27:40

I received a letter from NHS Highland like you Marydoll it said I was coded as immunosuppressed. I was at the GP surgery this week for the flu jag and was told NHS Highland have decided that the GP surgery have not to do the Covid booster. They said they are keen to administer it as they did the first and second Covid vaccinations. They also said they have no idea where we have to go to get it. It's well over six months since I had the second one. So it seems NHS Highland aren't bothered if we get the booster or not. I wonder if cost is something to do with it? hmm

May7 Thu 21-Oct-21 20:31:53

The only information I can find about the difference between the third dose and the booster dose is the eligibility and the timings
I have looked and looked and cannot see anywhere that says that there is a difference in the strength of these doses ?? Please if anyone has a link can you share it.

Marydoll Thu 21-Oct-21 22:29:17

Rascal my GP surgery told me they hadn't a clue what was happening. No-one does!
I will try and find the post from the lady in Scotland , who got a full vaccination, as opposed to a booster.

annodomini Thu 21-Oct-21 23:09:25

I am sure that there is no difference in the content or strength of the booster vax. The card I was given simply states the name of the vaccine (Pfizer) and the batch number which suggests to me that it's just from one of many batches.

Lucca Thu 21-Oct-21 23:12:59

Shelflife

Thankyou Kate and Greyknitter. Hope for a text message on Sunday.

You do not need a text just go on nhs website and you can book it.

I’ve booked mine for next Saturday.

Marydoll Thu 21-Oct-21 23:21:08

I have found this, which explains the difference.

www.crohnsandcolitis.org.uk/news/third-covid-19-vaccine

Marydoll Thu 21-Oct-21 23:36:22

Hopefully this will clarify. Sorry I can't make it any clearer.

pinkprincess Thu 21-Oct-21 23:37:33

I am 77 and have COPD my second vaccination was n April can't remember the date but was just before Easter.
I rang my GP surgery today to enquire about the booster dose and was told to ring 111.I did this and was told to get off the line and ring back later!
Like OP I went online and was informed I was not eligible.
This is all very confusing

Callistemon Thu 21-Oct-21 23:39:32

Thanks Marydoll
I knew they were different but there seems to have been little publicity about this and our GP surgery has not mentioned it at all.

Callistemon Thu 21-Oct-21 23:43:18

pinkprincess

I am 77 and have COPD my second vaccination was n April can't remember the date but was just before Easter.
I rang my GP surgery today to enquire about the booster dose and was told to ring 111.I did this and was told to get off the line and ring back later!

You should have a vaccination card, pinkprincess with the date on it.
You must be eligible, unless it was at the end of April and not yet 189 days since your 2nd vaccination

Marydoll Thu 21-Oct-21 23:56:46

Who will receive a third dose of the vaccine?

In September 2021, the JCVI announced that people who have severely suppressed immune systems at the time of their first and second doses of the vaccine would be able to get a third dose.

This is not a booster dose, but an additional ‘top-up’ dose to increase protection from COVID-19 for people who may not have not had a good response from the first two doses. It is expected that the JCVI will publish more guidance on a COVID-19 booster vaccination programme this autumn.

Based on the guidance put out by the JCVI, the British Society of Rheumatology (BSR) has recommended that that most people who were taking the following treatments during the time of their first two doses, be offered a third dose of the vaccine:

Conventional DMARDs, such as methotrexate, azathioprine, mycophenolate mofetil.
Anti-TNF biologics, such as infliximab, adalimumab, etanercept, golimumab, certolizumab pegol.
Other biologics, such as rituximab, tocilizumab, abatacept, ustekinumab, secukinumab, belimumab.
JAK inhibitors, such as baricitinib, tofacitinib, upadacitinib, filgotinib.
Prednisolone (steroid tablets) at doses of at least 10mg per day.
This does not include the DMARDs sulfasalazine or hydroxychloroquine.

A third dose is recommended at least 8 weeks after the second dose of the vaccine.

Not all people who have or are currently taking these treatments need to receive a third dose. Your doctor should be able to tell you whether you should receive a third dose based on your medical history.

Rheumatology teams and GPs have been asked to review their patient records and invite people with severely suppressed immune systems to get their third dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. Everyone who is eligible for a third dose of the vaccine should be contacted by either their rheumatology team or GP by 11 October.

If you have not been invited to receive a third dose by 11 October, but you think you should have been, you should contact your GP or rheumatology team.

If the medications you take have changed over time or if you get your prescriptions from different doctors, it might be harder for doctors to correctly identify you as eligible for a third dose. It may be helpful to confirm your status as a severely immunosuppressed person with your GP in order to arrange getting a third COVID-19 vaccine.

This information is from Versus Arthritis.

rascal Thu 21-Oct-21 23:56:48

Yes Marydoll that's what mine said too. It's unbelievable.shock

Marydoll Fri 22-Oct-21 00:03:17

rascal more like incompetence! ?
At least I know I didn't imagine reading it. Posters were trying to tell me they were the same.

Teacheranne Fri 22-Oct-21 00:10:55

Shelflife

Thank you all for your comments. The six months since my second vaccination will be up on this coming Sunday. I rang the surgery most of today and did not even receive a recorded message - just an engaged sound !!! No wonder A and E departments are bursting at the Seams with people who can't even access their GPs surgery. There is a notice outside the surgery asking people not to enter the building unless they have an appointment!!. Thank goodness I am in good health. If I don't hear about my vaccination in the next 3 days I will be on the phone on Monday until I get a response - or hopefully by Monday the website will NOT tell me I am not eligible for the booster!!! I am an easy going person but this is a stressful situation.

Everybody I know were contacted for the booster two weeks after the six months was up. The NHS booking app is for key workers and care workers at the moment.

My doctors has a recorded message saying they are not doing the boosters and we are told to wait to be contacted by the NHS. They appear to be working through those eligible quite quickly, the ones I know who have had boosters are aged 75 and over.

I’m just being patient and waiting for mine, it will be six months on 27th October so hopefully I will be notified by mid November. I’m having my flu jab this Saturday which I was more concerned about as I did not want the two jabs at the same time.

Teacheranne Fri 22-Oct-21 00:15:46

pinkprincess

The online app is for key workers, carers etc, not those who are waiting for their booster exactly six months after their second jab. That’s why you are being told you are not eligible. I think patience is needed! Some people I know have fooled the app to get their booster, possibly by lying about their occupation although I would have thought they would need to add more details like employee number. Unless they were just lucky and found a glitch!

rascal Fri 22-Oct-21 00:26:27

It's definitely true Marydoll! flowers

May7 Fri 22-Oct-21 00:40:34

Thank you for the link Marydoll It really hasn’t been well publicised at all.

heath480 Fri 22-Oct-21 01:23:19

I had no invitation to book,NHS site wouldn’t let me either.

Where I live north of Birmingham there are walk-in centres,no need to book.I got mine yesterday 181 days since second dose,no booking needed.The volunteer thought they might not do it,but Pharmacist said if the computer will update the record it’s fine.

I have no idea why the walk-in Centres are not being advertised more.I found the one I went to on Facebook!

boat Fri 22-Oct-21 02:56:40

The booster just doesn't seem to be as well organised as the first two jabs.

I was sent a text message inviting me to make an appointment at a much smaller town 6/7 miles away. This would involve two bus journeys.

The first two vaccinations were at a site in my town centre close to the bus station and a car park.

Then I was sent invitations to make appointments at sites even further away.

After intensive internet research it seems that there are two places offering the booster in my town.

Is there a problem with supplies of the vaccines or, being cynical, are the government not that bothered if a lot of us Oldies die as that will relieve the strain on the Care System?

Marydoll Fri 22-Oct-21 06:25:35

I there a problem with supplies of the vaccines or, being cynical, are the government not that bothered if a lot of us Oldies die as that will relieve the strain on the Care System?

Boot, I have been saying this to my husband for ages. They would save a fortune, if I kicked the bucket! My biologics alone, cost nearly £1000 a month.

Lucca Fri 22-Oct-21 08:20:05

Teacheranne

Shelflife

Thank you all for your comments. The six months since my second vaccination will be up on this coming Sunday. I rang the surgery most of today and did not even receive a recorded message - just an engaged sound !!! No wonder A and E departments are bursting at the Seams with people who can't even access their GPs surgery. There is a notice outside the surgery asking people not to enter the building unless they have an appointment!!. Thank goodness I am in good health. If I don't hear about my vaccination in the next 3 days I will be on the phone on Monday until I get a response - or hopefully by Monday the website will NOT tell me I am not eligible for the booster!!! I am an easy going person but this is a stressful situation.

Everybody I know were contacted for the booster two weeks after the six months was up. The NHS booking app is for key workers and care workers at the moment.

My doctors has a recorded message saying they are not doing the boosters and we are told to wait to be contacted by the NHS. They appear to be working through those eligible quite quickly, the ones I know who have had boosters are aged 75 and over.

I’m just being patient and waiting for mine, it will be six months on 27th October so hopefully I will be notified by mid November. I’m having my flu jab this Saturday which I was more concerned about as I did not want the two jabs at the same time.

If you are over 50. And had second jab six months ago you are eligible and don’t need to wait for invitation ! Honest !
I booked mine and helped a friend to do same yesterday.

wildswan16 Fri 22-Oct-21 08:39:19

I had an appointment for the booster - but at a drive-through venue so far away it is impossible for a non-car owner to get to. Phoned to change the venue and they cancelled that appointment but there are NO appointments anywhere in my health board area (Lothian, Scotland).

So now left phoning every few days to be told the same thing. It's frustrating.