Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Anti Vax Protesters Targeting Schools

(26 Posts)
Namsnanny Mon 08-Nov-21 14:00:09

I dont watch the news and read papers 'donated' by others, so I'm probably behind the times and wasnt aware of this happening.

Some of you are no doubt better informed?

But I was disturbed to think of children being frightened and confronted in this way.

It seems some schools, more than 400 have been sent emails or letters indicating they will have legal action taken against them by an Anti Vax group.
They have been targeted and surrounded by noisy protesters, As have school buses, where in some instances they have boarded and frightened children.
Also in one case they entered a school and threatened the Hmistress.
I've just listened to a radio programme about it.
It's been happening for quite a while.

I would be more than angry If my children were under this type of daily pressure.

No wonder our children's mental health is under threat.

Smileless2012 Mon 08-Nov-21 14:06:56

Well you're not the only one Namsnanny I didn't know this was happening either. It's a disgrace.

BlueBelle Mon 08-Nov-21 14:15:36

I think it’s only happened this week I heard it on the lunch time news and yes DISGUSTING the police should not be letting it happen

Namsnanny Mon 08-Nov-21 14:46:30

I wondered about the police presence too BlueBelle

Children have just come through THE most difficult year or so.
Their fear of Covid infection, global warming ect. Let alone the worry of relatives/parents becoming ill. The lack of friends and community, and possibly anxiety about their own future to cope with.

Now these idiots bringing it all to their door!!?? Yes disgraceful smileless and so selfish of them.

AGAA4 Mon 08-Nov-21 16:00:29

This is child abuse and should be dealt with accordingly. Anyone frightening children when they are at school or on a school bus should be arrested. It is intimidation.

Chestnut Mon 08-Nov-21 16:05:12

Agree with all the above. What terrible people these protestors are. They act in such extreme ways and have no fear at all. The Insulate Britain lot are just as bad (especially as some of them have not insulated themselves!) They do not care how much they frighten or inconvenience people, and it's time the legal system dealt with them in a robust way, even if it means changing the law.

welbeck Mon 08-Nov-21 19:28:10

it's been going on for at least a month, i remember reading about it. probably started at beginn of term in september.
i read the news online. and radio news. no tv.

welbeck Mon 08-Nov-21 19:32:19

schoolsweek.co.uk/abhorrent-the-schools-caught-up-in-the-anti-vax-crossfire/

Calistemon Mon 08-Nov-21 19:41:55

Is that Piers Corbyn in that picture? I'm not sure if he is outside a school or if it's an old photo when he was on another protest.

Yes, this is so wrong and the police should be called but apparently the protestors are allowed to do this as long as they are peaceful.
Is frightening children a peaceful activity? I don't think so.

Calistemon Mon 08-Nov-21 19:44:26

Another link:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59032991

JaneJudge Mon 08-Nov-21 19:48:05

they started vaccinating at my sons school in September and protestors were outside and then they stopped vaccinated them confused I'm not sure when mine will get done tbh. We can book via the NHS website but they are all over the place and I don't think me or his Dad have time to take off work

nanna8 Mon 08-Nov-21 22:19:24

Time to bring out the high pressure hoses .

MaizieD Mon 08-Nov-21 22:47:46

nanna8

Time to bring out the high pressure hoses .

We don't have any.

You're a violent lot Down Under, aren't you? grin

Trouble is, these 'protesters' aren't really doing anything arrestable, are they? Apart from a bit of bullying and harassment...

If they were stopping people driving anywhere they'd be cleared off like a shot...

FoghornLeghorn Mon 08-Nov-21 22:50:24

Those of us working at vaccination centres are having to undertake anti-terrorist training to teach us how to identify suspicious behaviour or objects etc. Our security personnel have been doubled in number and we have a code word to use to warn our colleagues if we are suspicious.

Calistemon Mon 08-Nov-21 22:54:14

Trouble is, these 'protesters' aren't really doing anything arrestable, are they?

Intimidating and harassing children? Harassment is a criminal offence.
Lurking outside schools? Very suspicious behaviour especially if anyone has a camera.

Chestnut Tue 09-Nov-21 00:20:10

I agree, random adults should not be hanging around schools for any reason. Schools should be considered no-go zones so that anyone up to no good can easily be spotted.
Just put a sign 'Anyone reported behaving suspiciously or inappropriately near the school will be reported to the Police'. That definitely includes the protestors!

Oldwoman70 Tue 09-Nov-21 07:24:36

I do hope the children are not frightened by these people, there is now talk of schools having an exclusion zone around them. Anti-vaxxers targeting children should be ashamed of themselves.

The letters they are delivering to schools threatening legal action have been debunked by legal experts as having no validity - seems their research into the law is as flawed as their "research" into the vaccine.

JaneJudge Tue 09-Nov-21 07:38:17

FoghornLeghorn

Those of us working at vaccination centres are having to undertake anti-terrorist training to teach us how to identify suspicious behaviour or objects etc. Our security personnel have been doubled in number and we have a code word to use to warn our colleagues if we are suspicious.

and aren't a lot of you volunteers? confused sad

FoghornLeghorn Tue 09-Nov-21 09:59:08

JaneJudge

FoghornLeghorn

and aren't a lot of you volunteers? confused sad

The hosts who guide patients around the building and who man the car park etc are volunteers but those of us who undertake clinical roles are paid.

Jillyjosie Tue 09-Nov-21 10:04:49

The history of medicine used to be part of the history curriculum. It would be good to teach the children the facts about the benefits of vaccination so that they aren't afraid and are able to debate and confront these people if necessary.
We have an anti vaxxer weekend stall at our Saturday Market and the rubbish these people peddle is unbelievable.

Namsnanny Tue 09-Nov-21 16:11:31

I had my 3rd inoculation at a university campus, and was surprised by the level of security. Professional looking men in 2's or 4's dressed in black, at each entrance and exit. Plus a few in the premises, seemingly on alert.
I asked the staff if this was normal, they said only because it was the university campus.
I now think it was in case of disruption from these demonstrators.

FoghornLeghorn Wed 10-Nov-21 02:22:39

Namsnanny

I had my 3rd inoculation at a university campus, and was surprised by the level of security. Professional looking men in 2's or 4's dressed in black, at each entrance and exit. Plus a few in the premises, seemingly on alert.
I asked the staff if this was normal, they said only because it was the university campus.
I now think it was in case of disruption from these demonstrators.

I think you’re probably right. I was surprised to see that not only had our security guys increased in number considerably but there were also a couple of them patrolling with dogs.

Namsnanny Wed 10-Nov-21 12:25:37

It was a bit unnerving in comparison with the other time. Which was supervised by cheerful chatty volunteers.
But better to be prepared I suppose FoghornLeghorn

GillT57 Wed 10-Nov-21 12:31:11

The irony of this situation has obviously gone right over the head of the ant-vaxxers protesting outside schools. Their demands are for freedom of choice, freedom to make their own decisions about vaccinations, so by doing this they are attempting to take away other people's freedom of choice, freedom to make their own decisions......the same thing strikes me when I am in the supermarket wearing a mask; why on earth am I wearing one to protect others who obviously don't care enough about my welfare to reciprocate?

Namsnanny Wed 10-Nov-21 13:03:08

Some good points GillT