Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Austria puts unvaccinated into lockdown

(187 Posts)
GagaJo Sun 14-Nov-21 22:05:04

The Austrian government ordered a nationwide lockdown for unvaccinated people starting midnight Sunday to slow the fast spread of the coronavirus in the country.

The move prohibits unvaccinated individuals older than age 12 from leaving their homes except for basic activities such as working, grocery shopping, going for a walk — or getting vaccinated.

Authorities are concerned that hospital staff will no longer be able to handle the growing influx of Covid-19 patients.

“It’s our job as the government of Austria to protect the people,” Chancellor Alexander Schallenberg told reporters in Vienna on Sunday.

www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/austria-lockdown-unvaccinated-b966112.html

rosie1959 Sun 14-Nov-21 22:15:12

I am vaccinated but glad I don’t live in Austria can’t see this ending well

BlueBelle Sun 14-Nov-21 22:34:19

I believe I heard on the radio ( I think it was Singapore) will charge anyone unvaccinated and catching CoviD for any treatment needed I think other countries will start putting rules in for the unvaccinated too

BlueBelle Sun 14-Nov-21 22:35:22

I heard on the radio I think it is Singapore are going to charge anyone unvaccinated who needs treatment for CoviD

BlueBelle Sun 14-Nov-21 22:35:54

Well that’s clever the first one never appeared until I sent the next one Sorry everyone

Casdon Sun 14-Nov-21 22:40:53

The infection rate in Austria now is lower than it was in the UK a few weeks ago, and their fully vaccinated rate is 64%, UK is 68%. They are more cautious than UK, presumably because they want to avoid the high death rate we’ve had in this country.

Maggiemaybe Sun 14-Nov-21 23:06:28

Austria has declared 11,552 new cases in the past 24 hours, according to Worldometers. That’s high for a population of just over 9 million.

Casdon Sun 14-Nov-21 23:09:41

It’s 775 per 100,000 population today in Austria, which is what the UK average was a few weeks ago.

Maggiemaybe Sun 14-Nov-21 23:19:40

Well fortunately the UK figures are much lower now. And our vaccination rate (double vaccinated) is 80%, not 68%.

coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

Casdon Sun 14-Nov-21 23:31:03

UK is 68.4% of population vaccinated. Austria is 64.3% of population vaccinated. Are you perhaps looking at the adult population figures only Maggiemaybe?
The overall rate for the UK is lower now than it was a few weeks ago, but the experts are saying it will rise again.

Casdon Sun 14-Nov-21 23:32:31

Sorry, I didn’t post the link.
ourworldindata.org/coronavirus

Maggiemaybe Sun 14-Nov-21 23:33:14

Ah, sorry, I see you’re referring to the figures relating to the whole population, not just the over-12s. My mistake.

I can’t see this ending well either, rosie1959. It’ll be interesting to see how it’s enforced.

maddyone Sun 14-Nov-21 23:36:51

Will the Austrians accept it and comply?

GagaJo Sun 14-Nov-21 23:59:38

Good point maddyone. Hadn't thought of that.

SkyBird Mon 15-Nov-21 08:49:16

I am supposed to be traveling to Austria and Slovakia this coming weekend. I have until tomorrow to decide whether or not to travel. That is when my hotel reservations have to be paid.
Part of me says get on with your life. The other, why take an unnecessary risk.

Katie59 Mon 15-Nov-21 13:58:06

SkyBird

I am supposed to be traveling to Austria and Slovakia this coming weekend. I have until tomorrow to decide whether or not to travel. That is when my hotel reservations have to be paid.

Make sure you have your Covid pass printed, when we went all hotels, restaurants, attractions, some shops to, a pass was mandatory, a high grade mask too, not the flimsy ones we use here.

sodapop Mon 15-Nov-21 18:56:22

I don't see the situation in Austria is much different from France and some other countries. We can't go into sports venues, concert halls, restaurants etc without proof of vaccination. Doesn't apply to supermarkets.

Lincslass Mon 15-Nov-21 21:07:33

SkyBird

My family visited from Germany , at a time we had higher numbers, wore a mask when out, horrified at how many people didn’t, took usual precautions and was fine. That’s all we can do, can’t let it stop us forever. Covid is still a risk here too.

maddyone Mon 15-Nov-21 21:14:59

I wish there were more restrictions here to be honest. I’d like everyone wearing a mask inside public buildings and I’d like a vaccine passport for certain buildings or activities. I don’t think it’ll happen though. Pigs will fly first.

Lincslass Mon 15-Nov-21 21:19:11

maddyone

I wish there were more restrictions here to be honest. I’d like everyone wearing a mask inside public buildings and I’d like a vaccine passport for certain buildings or activities. I don’t think it’ll happen though. Pigs will fly first.

I quite agree with you maddyone, I still wear my mask in crowded places etc, still strict with hand cleaning etc. Think we should have passports, as in other parts of the world and our country. Saying that,with all their restrictions their numbers have gone up,

rosie1959 Mon 15-Nov-21 21:40:12

I wonder if Austria really think these new restrictions will actually make a difference
The unvaccinated are still allowed to go to work and grocery shopping so opportunity to spread the virus still stands
I believe they have a tight regulations on masks being worn but still their numbers increase

Teacheranne Mon 15-Nov-21 22:14:22

I thought they had put in this restriction to “encourage” more people to get vaccinated? Or maybe to get booster shots, I can’t remember exactly what I heard on the radio. Surely simply locking the unvaccinated away won’t have much of an impact as they can still go to work and to supermarkets.

The problem is, no one really knows what to do to stop the upticks.

nanna8 Mon 15-Nov-21 22:30:43

Good for them. At least they are trying. A lot here are losing their jobs if they aren’t vaccinated but they haven’t locked them down.

Hetty58 Mon 15-Nov-21 22:37:16

I think they have the right idea - in making life more difficult for the unvaccinated and protecting the majority from them, to some extent.

Alegrias1 Mon 15-Nov-21 22:42:38

I think any society that thinks they need to "protect" people from the unvaccinated is well down the road to Gilead.