Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Antivaxxers

(104 Posts)
varian Mon 22-Nov-21 19:40:30

People who voted for Brexit are less enthusiastic about having a coronavirus vaccine, new research suggested yesterday.

A survey by YouGov for Oxford University showed Remainers are nearly 7 percentage points more likely to have the jab than people who voted Leave in the 2016 referendum, 93.8 per cent compared to 87.1 per cent.

inews.co.uk/news/politics/covid-vaccine-hesitancy-linked-brexit-voting-patterns-886803

Elegran Wed 24-Nov-21 16:35:12

Sazz the survey mentioned in the original post - "Political factors remain very strong predictors of willingness to take the vaccine. People who voted Remain are consistently (and statistically significantly) about seven points more likely to be willing to take the vaccine than Leave voters or those who didn’t vote in 2016. People who did not vote in 2019 are substantially less likely to want to take the vaccine than those who voted. Among those who voted in 2019, voters for the Brexit Party or the Green Party in 2019 are the most unwilling to take the vaccine (though these are small groups so this is measured with uncertainty). SNP and Liberal voters are most positively inclined. When we ask about current vote intention, supporters of Nigel Farage’s new Reform UK party are strikingly less willing to take the vaccine (only just over 50%). People who don’t know who they will vote for and people intending to vote Green also appear less likely to want to take the vaccine. Every SNP supporter in our sample was willing to take the vaccine."

Alegrias1 Wed 24-Nov-21 16:34:27

No correlation at all.
There is a correlation.

Don't know of any surveys asking this.
The survey that varian reported asked this.

Shouldn't be allowed as it divides people.
The truth hurts. It only divides people that don't understand it.

Running around with your fingers in your ears shouting lalala won't change the results

sazz1 Wed 24-Nov-21 16:27:13

This is rubbish hyped up by the press. Shouldn't be allowed as it divides people.
I know plenty of people who voted remain and are double jabbed. Also several who refused the jab and some antivaxers. The EU has many antivaxers too.
Also know lots who voted leave and are jabbed and that refused it
No correlation at all. Has anyone been asked how did you vote and are you jabbed? Don't know of any surveys asking this.

growstuff Wed 24-Nov-21 15:42:39

Gabrielle56

It's also possibly because we have more experience of being invaded , bombed attacked on our own territory etc by terrorists.i remember the palava with being searched and being ultra aware in 70s because of IRA bomb threats on mainland! Especially as I was civil service and DH police!

Eh?

Gabrielle56 Wed 24-Nov-21 15:29:23

It's also possibly because we have more experience of being invaded , bombed attacked on our own territory etc by terrorists.i remember the palava with being searched and being ultra aware in 70s because of IRA bomb threats on mainland! Especially as I was civil service and DH police!

Elegran Wed 24-Nov-21 14:46:27

Nannina

Irrespective of how people voted we have left the EU so what’s to be gained by such statistics? It only serves to continue the antagonism between the two factions

Genuine statistics don't continue the antagonism. Sensational media reporting and inbuilt prejudice do.

Lilyflower Wed 24-Nov-21 14:37:34

Correlation isn’t causation - but nice try anyway.

In other news, I expect Margaret Thatcher caused Covid.

katy1950 Wed 24-Nov-21 13:39:59

I did that you Gov survey and it didn't give any indication that anti vaxxers supported Brexit most probably another lot of fake news

Nannina Wed 24-Nov-21 13:38:08

Irrespective of how people voted we have left the EU so what’s to be gained by such statistics? It only serves to continue the antagonism between the two factions

MayBeMaw Wed 24-Nov-21 13:12:57

Is Brexit working well, do you think? I really would like to know how those who voted for it are finding the outcome

I am sure there are plenty of other threads on which to discuss Brexit.
I thought this was about Anti-vaxxers

chrissy08 Wed 24-Nov-21 13:09:08

lemongrove

‘Ere we go, ‘ere we go.
Another attempt to smear anyone who voted to leave the EU.
Well, I’m a very enthusiastic Brexit supporter and ditto for the vaccinations.
There are anti vaxxers in all EU countries and the US and anywhere else you care to mention which has sod all to do with Brexit.

Couldn’t agree more

Hetty58 Wed 24-Nov-21 12:39:40

Zoejory, yes - but why let the facts get in the way? grandtanteJE65, Agreed, there are so many factors. I think the correlation could well be a lack of trust in general. It's quite hilarious, on GN, how Brexit is deemed to be the root of all evil, though.

Zoejory Wed 24-Nov-21 12:22:03

As I'm sure others have mentioned, this article was from February 2021. Only the elderly and ill were being vaccinated at that time.

I was in the 60 plus group and didn't qualify for my vaccine until June.

Probably better to do a survey now to see who's who and what's what.

varian Wed 24-Nov-21 11:57:33

It is sometimes necessary to analyse the relationship between interconnected factors.

For instance we know that older people were more likely to have voted leave so if older people were also less willing to be vaccinated there might be a spurious correlation between being a brexiter and being an antivaxxer. However we know that older people are more likely to have taken the vaccine than younger people so that argument would not apply in this case.

In any event correlation does not imply causation. The association may be due to another characteristic which antivaxxers and leave voters have in common. Without seeing a detailed analysis we can only guess what that might be.

It does no harm to repeat that anectotal evidence never proves of disproves anything, yet so often we see a GN post along the lines of "all my friends voted leave and they've all been jabbed". Anecdotal evidence is usually based on a very small, self selected sample.

Paperbackwriter Wed 24-Nov-21 11:48:49

lemongrove

‘Ere we go, ‘ere we go.
There are anti vaxxers in all EU countries and the US and anywhere else you care to mention which has sod all to do with Brexit.

Is Brexit working well, do you think? I really would like to know how those who voted for it are finding the outcome.

Alegrias1 Wed 24-Nov-21 11:47:43

I am wondering too, why it should be of any interest to know whether the one or the other standpoint on any political issue influenced the choice for or against vaccination.

I explained above. Maybe you missed it.

Alegrias1 Wed 24-Nov-21 11:46:50

You know what I hate Nannapat1? People who get all offended by the results of a survey that doesn't fit with their prejudices and haven't got the smarts to understand what it means.

That this survey found that if you had 100 Brexit voters, and 100 Remain voters, 13 of the Brexit voters would be loathe to be vaccinated and 6 of the Remain voters would be.

Them's the facts. Its not spurious either.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 24-Nov-21 11:41:13

The University of Oxford apparently teaches the use of questionaires and statistics rather differently from the University of Copenhagen.

We were taught that it is usually inadvisable to include questions on unrelated matters in the same survey.

To get solid results as to whether leavers or remainers in the Brxit discussion are most likely to be vaccinated strikes me as trying to prove a correlation that could be due to any number of other factors rather than the two named.

I am wondering too, why it should be of any interest to know whether the one or the other standpoint on any political issue influenced the choice for or against vaccination.

Nannapat1 Wed 24-Nov-21 11:38:29

Oh how I hate this playing with statistics, as here trying to show that those bad Brexiteers are also bad anti -vaxxers!
Btw, I thought that the vote to remain or leave was about staying in or leaving the organisation called the European Union.

TerriBull Wed 24-Nov-21 11:28:14

God there are some hoity toity comments about "Brexiteers" on this thread, I wasn't one, but assumptions such as "I've always thought that people who voted for Brexit on Little Englander grounds were insular in approach and less likely to favour mutual support or actions to benefit the majority" what an assumption given that statistics tell us that an older demographic were more likely to have voted for Brexit but conversely they are more likely to be vaccinated and wear masks shock So is that criticism also to be levied at certain ethnic minorities who at the outset of the pandemic were also reluctant to take up the offer of a vaccine?

"That is how society broadens functions in say France or Germany" allegedly! although given the dissent in mainland Europe to mandated vaccines, Police State shock and lockdowns, that might suggest otherwise.

I very much agree with Galaxy "I find the way people who talk about those who voted Brexit abhorrent" I know plenty from both camps, Remainers and Brexiteers all vaccinated. The people who I know or know of who have refused the vaccine are of the younger generation. One young woman in particular had a mother who adopted what might be called "an alternative lifestyle" and is vehemently against vaccines per se.

Theoddbird Wed 24-Nov-21 11:26:03

Means nothing. A difference of 6.7% is hardly anything. I doubt the number asked would have been high either. Just a waste of money doing it really.

sundowngirl Wed 24-Nov-21 11:12:36

lemongrove

‘Ere we go, ‘ere we go.

Well said Lemongrove! I totally agree

christine96777 Wed 24-Nov-21 11:00:34

I know this post is about anti vaxxers, and which social group they might belong to. But have you not noticed all these survey, news reports, advertising not just about vacancies or brexit. Millennials verses baby boomers, I could go on, but I'm sure you get the picture, there all about pitting one group against another, surely we should be trying to find the common ground as a way forward as a nation. Just for clarity I voted remain and I've been vaccinated.

MayBeMaw Wed 24-Nov-21 10:59:46

Alegrias1

MayBeMaw

I think it’s a ridiculous correlation and while it may be possible to interpret the statistics accordingly, we all know what they say about statistics!

It doesn't matter if you think its ridiculous or not, its still a correlation.

OK .
Speaking as a triple vaccinated MA so an Arts Higher Education -not Science - I rather like like not fitting the stereotype.

So instead of weak, how about a spurious correlation?

LynneH Wed 24-Nov-21 10:57:44

Yes, quite