Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Antivaxxers

(104 Posts)
varian Mon 22-Nov-21 19:40:30

People who voted for Brexit are less enthusiastic about having a coronavirus vaccine, new research suggested yesterday.

A survey by YouGov for Oxford University showed Remainers are nearly 7 percentage points more likely to have the jab than people who voted Leave in the 2016 referendum, 93.8 per cent compared to 87.1 per cent.

inews.co.uk/news/politics/covid-vaccine-hesitancy-linked-brexit-voting-patterns-886803

sazz1 Wed 24-Nov-21 16:27:13

This is rubbish hyped up by the press. Shouldn't be allowed as it divides people.
I know plenty of people who voted remain and are double jabbed. Also several who refused the jab and some antivaxers. The EU has many antivaxers too.
Also know lots who voted leave and are jabbed and that refused it
No correlation at all. Has anyone been asked how did you vote and are you jabbed? Don't know of any surveys asking this.

Alegrias1 Wed 24-Nov-21 16:34:27

No correlation at all.
There is a correlation.

Don't know of any surveys asking this.
The survey that varian reported asked this.

Shouldn't be allowed as it divides people.
The truth hurts. It only divides people that don't understand it.

Running around with your fingers in your ears shouting lalala won't change the results

Elegran Wed 24-Nov-21 16:35:12

Sazz the survey mentioned in the original post - "Political factors remain very strong predictors of willingness to take the vaccine. People who voted Remain are consistently (and statistically significantly) about seven points more likely to be willing to take the vaccine than Leave voters or those who didn’t vote in 2016. People who did not vote in 2019 are substantially less likely to want to take the vaccine than those who voted. Among those who voted in 2019, voters for the Brexit Party or the Green Party in 2019 are the most unwilling to take the vaccine (though these are small groups so this is measured with uncertainty). SNP and Liberal voters are most positively inclined. When we ask about current vote intention, supporters of Nigel Farage’s new Reform UK party are strikingly less willing to take the vaccine (only just over 50%). People who don’t know who they will vote for and people intending to vote Green also appear less likely to want to take the vaccine. Every SNP supporter in our sample was willing to take the vaccine."

Jenh66 Wed 24-Nov-21 16:36:33

Well I voted leave and feel I'm well educated, as are my husband and two children. We are all vaccinated and are, for the most part, happy to have our boosters. I do get annoyed by people who voted remain who have a holier than thou attitude and blame everything on leaving the EU. Vaccines save lives. O can understand how some people are hesitant on getting the vaccine for covid, or anything else, it's their choice - the last time I looked we live in a democratic country (although I do wonder)

Zoejory Wed 24-Nov-21 16:36:44

It was from February though, Alegrias1

We'd only had the vaccine a couple of months

Zoejory Wed 24-Nov-21 16:41:14

Anecdotal again but I knew a few people that said they wouldn't want the vaccine. People in their 40s/50s. Some were saying they only wanted the Oxford jab, (No idea why). Others worried it had been rushed through etc etc

However as time progressed they all decided it was for the best

Alegrias1 Wed 24-Nov-21 16:42:56

I know Zoejory. I pointed that out on page 1. wink

Still getting excited about it though aren't we? Especially Brexit voters who are desperate to tell us its all rubbish because they are vaccinated.

Greciangirl Wed 24-Nov-21 16:54:55

Refusing the vaccine has nothing at all to do with Brexit.

How can it be?

There are idiots in all parties and all walks of life.
The fact that 2;000 voters thought otherwise won’t swing it for me.

Zoejory Wed 24-Nov-21 17:01:42

You might be getting excited about it, Alegrias1

But I'm not.

And I didn't vote for Brexit either.

Galaxy Wed 24-Nov-21 17:44:14

It's worked brilliantly politically in England though hasnt it. Using phrases such as 'for those who dont understand it' has been an absolute triumph in securing a government that supports the most vulnerable. But let's keep doing it. Let's keep telling people they are stupid. Whats that saying about doing the same thing over and over again and wondering why you get the same terrible results.

Alegrias1 Wed 24-Nov-21 17:48:14

Well I'm sorry Galaxy, but what are we supposed to say to someone who doesn't understand it? They don't understand it. I'm not making stuff up. Its been explained and explained and we still get people saying that they're Brexit voters who have been vaxxed so its obviously all rubbish.

I don't have the patience any more.

Maggieanne Wed 24-Nov-21 17:54:07

You will find that many of these questions in surveys are loaded, you are given a choice and the choice you make is probably not what you would personally choose. You are not given the chance to reply using your own words, that would spoil what they are trying to prove. Please stop trying to prove that anyone that voted for leaving the EU is poorly educated. One more thing, as my teacher used to say "please read through your work before you give it in", some of the comments make little sense because no-one bothers to check what they've written!

varian Wed 24-Nov-21 19:22:48

We do not need to prove that more poorly educated people voted Leave than voted Remian

That has been conclusively established.

Galaxy Wed 24-Nov-21 20:20:38

And what good has it done you varian.

Cagsy Wed 24-Nov-21 22:11:18

I think calling all people who decide not to be vaccinated anti vaxxers is lazy thinking. I have had my vaccinations and will have my booster on Saturday but that was my decision weighing up my age and the fact that I'm overweight so more likely to get quite ill or die. However others I know and respect have done the same and decided it was not for them but were happy that those who wanted it have had that opportunity. I 'm horrified by some of what I hear proposed, how can you possibly make someone put something into their bodies they genuinely don't want or drag them off to some sort of gulag for goodness sake? People can still catch it and spread it vaccinated or not and when you think of the number of people in this country alone who must have had it and recovered the actual death rate must be falling quite rapidly I would have thought.

misty34 Wed 24-Nov-21 22:54:56

From what is currently in the news there are more Antivaxxers in Europe than here.

Saetana Thu 25-Nov-21 00:17:46

Wondering how many people who are hard left are anti vaxx? From the stupid protests on the subject I would frankly say there are more of them than Brexiteers - everyone I know, Brexiteer or Remainer, has been double vaccinated. This is because I do not associate with idiots - regardless of political beliefs! Its a ridiculous comparison either way.

MayBee70 Sun 28-Nov-21 16:10:32

Someone on another forum that I’m on is anti vacc’s, anti mask, thinks covid isn’t real and that Nigel Farage is the greatest PM we never had.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 28-Nov-21 16:24:21

I only know one person who voted Leave - my younger son who has a Phd. He has been vaccinated. I know one person who hasn’t been vaccinated - her decision, don’t know why - but I’ve no idea if she voted Leave or Remain. I suspect the former.

Peasblossom Sun 28-Nov-21 16:47:30

varian

We do not need to prove that more poorly educated people voted Leave than voted Remian

It kind of begs the question

Did they vote Leave because they were poorly educated and didn’t understand the ramifications

Or did they vote Leave because the poorly educated were the group that were seriously disadvantaged by our membership of the EU

In which case they voted for a better life for themselves and their families. Which was quite sensible from their point of view.

varian Mon 29-Nov-21 08:22:29

It might have been sensible had it been true but bre it has made most of them worse off just as predicted by "project fear"

love0c Mon 29-Nov-21 08:58:08

Has this been the plan all along? Divide the country? I am friends with people who voted leave and for Brexit. I am friends with people who have had the vaccine and those who haven't. I have not allowed myself to be 'divided'.

love0c Mon 29-Nov-21 08:58:34

Remain. So upset by it all.

Shinamae Mon 29-Nov-21 09:04:12

varian

Well I am “poorly educated” but can spell the word REMAIN!!!

Alegrias1 Mon 29-Nov-21 09:05:30

Gosh, correcting people's spelling Shinamae?