Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Unvaccinated Young Hairdresser: what would you do?

(62 Posts)
Northernlass Mon 29-Nov-21 10:48:10

Perhaps the subject says it all?!

At the hairdressers' last week my hairdresser (early 30s, single), in passing, said she'd not been vaccinated as "it's not been tested enough". She had covid (mild symptoms) last year during lockdown and thinks she'll have natural immunity. She says she does regular LF tests...
None of the hairdressers in the salon have been wearing masks since they stopped being mandatory.

I feel stupid that I'd not thought to ask her if she'd been vaccinated; I'd assumed so for a variety of reasons.

My DIL says people aren't allowed into her salon unless they're wearing a mask (it's very trendy) and was told off once when she took off her mask a little longer than expected to have a drink!

What have you been doing about going back to hair salons? Those with mobile hairdressers need not reply! :-)

EnaSharples Tue 07-Dec-21 20:54:38

I havent had my hair cut since March 2020. Now I wear it in a topknot. Not in a hairnet as you might have thought. I wouldnt go in a hairdressers its too intimate.

EkwaNimitee Tue 07-Dec-21 20:25:36

I’d been planning to get my hair cut before visiting the family for Christmas but listening to the news going on about the spreading Omicron variant, I began to wonder if that was a risky thing to do. Reading your posts has clarified matters, I’m not going to any hairdresser, vaccinated or not. As has been said, anyone can carry it and apparently Omicron is more transmissible. Not having seen any family for 2 years, I’m not taking the slightest risk of spoiling things.

Northernlass Tue 07-Dec-21 15:42:23

Having just said I feel it's irresponsible, I'd like to change that to think it's irresponsible. This is based on coming from a biological science background and having read a lot of research

Northernlass Tue 07-Dec-21 15:40:37

Biscuitmuncher you may like to read this:

theconversation.com/no-vaccinated-people-are-not-just-as-infectious-as-unvaccinated-people-if-they-get-covid-171302

A key point in the above article is this:

Given vaccines speed the clearance of COVID from the body, vaccinated people have less opportunity to spread the virus overall.

I wonder why you think unvaccinated people aren't carriers of coronavirus?

Galaxy and Sago : you have a point, of course. However, I don't knowlingly want to mix with those that haven't been vaccinated as I feel it's irresponsible.

Galaxy Mon 06-Dec-21 21:32:56

Because people lie Northernlass.

greenlady102 Mon 06-Dec-21 21:10:35

Biscuitmuncher

The unvaccinated are not carriers of it!

of course they blooming are. Vaccinated people can be carriers too but much less likely.

greenlady102 Mon 06-Dec-21 21:09:45

I don't go to a hairdresser but the one my sister uses requires masks and give disposable wraps. The staff wear masks and visors as well as gloves and disposable aprons. During the early stages of opening up, they provided and wore shoe covers too and took temps at the door. the shop is quite small and they don't let people in until their appointment and you have to leave immediately afterwards. The owner reduced her number of chairs and had transparent dividers installed before she opened up again.

Sago Mon 06-Dec-21 21:01:05

As lots of vaccinated people have COVID but are symptomless I don’t see how we can avoid it.

Biscuitmuncher Mon 06-Dec-21 19:23:48

The unvaccinated are not carriers of it!

Daisymae Mon 06-Dec-21 18:55:49

My hairdresser was very lax at the end of lockdown number 1. I walked out and have found someone to come to my house who takes every precaution. I also open a window. Personally I would not spend time inside with someone who is not vaccinated.

Northernlass Mon 06-Dec-21 11:37:29

Galaxy, you say:

"How does asking that question in anyway keep you safe. They say yes and that magically makes you safer?"

Asking the question doesn't keep me safe, of course. It's what I do next once I've got the information. In this case I'm not going back and that means I'm not putting myself in a risky situation.

Galaxy Sat 04-Dec-21 12:22:08

No.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 04-Dec-21 09:19:47

Isn’t she breaking guidelines about vaccination Jane?

Galaxy Fri 03-Dec-21 20:36:56

How does asking that question in anyway keep you safe. They say yes and that magically makes you safer?

JaneJudge Fri 03-Dec-21 20:17:09

At least the hairdresser is in work doing her job under government guidelines and not breaking those guidelines like they did in No 10 last Christmas whilst having a boozy party whilst everyone else was in lockdown or under restrictions

Northernlass Fri 03-Dec-21 20:12:42

Galaxy: I have to agree with Germanshepherdsmum. The consequences of catching covid may have far reaching effects - not just on me but my family too, not to mention the NHS. Why wouldn't I do everything I can to keep myself and the wider population safe and well?

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 30-Nov-21 13:08:03

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask if someone such as a hairdresser who is in close proximity to you for a lengthy period if they are vaccinated. It’s not my idea of asking for personal medical information. You’re hardly enquiring if they have an STD!

Galaxy Tue 30-Nov-21 12:19:33

The poor service industry. They cant win really. If I went to places where customers were routinely demanding peoples medical information I wouldnt go back in order to avoid those customers!

Hetty58 Tue 30-Nov-21 11:29:13

She'll have to wear a mask now (good) - and any natural immunity she had will have faded over time.

I don't understand the 'not been tested enough yet' excuse. It's just not logical. We've seen the dangers of Covid and the lasting illness/disability of Long Covid - surely far more alarming than any potential risk from the vaccine.

Northernlass Tue 30-Nov-21 11:22:37

Good point FarNorth!

FarNorth Mon 29-Nov-21 17:02:03

Northernlass I wouldn't be going there anyway, if masks aren't used.
That seems more of a risk than anyone's vax status, since anyone can be a carrier.

Marydoll Mon 29-Nov-21 16:03:01

My hairdresser provides masks, free of charge.

Kate1949 Mon 29-Nov-21 15:55:04

At my hair clinic (I have a hair system) they wear masks, visors, plastic aprons, plastic gloves. The reception girls are behind perspex. I am expected to wear a mask, which I do. Each stylist has her own room so I only have contact with her. They use disposable towels and capes. I feel as safe as I could be.

Granniesunite Mon 29-Nov-21 15:53:08

We’ve always worm masks here in Scotland In public places and my hairdresser is very good at social distance etc and wears a mask all day herself as do her colleagues. I feel safe

I’d be changing hairdressers Zoejory would they refuse you entry if you brought your own mask I wonder.

TerriBull Mon 29-Nov-21 15:45:31

Zoejory

*the hairdressers I go to are evangelical about mask wearing, happy to comply with, although rather annoyingly they stipulate that clients must buy from them a bog standard medical mask for which they charge £3.50*

TerriBull!

That has absolutely shocked me. And I don't shock easily

Take your custom elsewhere.

Yes I have thought about that, we only moved to where we are living now this year, so it's not as if I'm a long standing loyal client. So far, no one else on this thread has posted that they are expected to purchase a mask from their hairdresser hmm