Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Unvaccinated Young Hairdresser: what would you do?

(61 Posts)
Kali2 Mon 29-Nov-21 11:27:04

The thing is, you are not really allowed to ask, and if you do, they have not forced to tell the truth. Same in hsopitals, same in care homes, etc!!!

choughdancer Mon 29-Nov-21 11:19:21

I went to one a while back, which is small and only has one customer at a time. Wore my mask throughout, as did the hairdresser, but hers was UNDER HER NOSE! I kept hoping she would realise; be reminded by seeing mine on; be reminded by seeing her reflection in the mirror. I was too cowardly to mention it, but still couldn't understand WHY! She didn't put it up over her nose at any point.

BlueBelle Mon 29-Nov-21 11:15:51

Me personally I probably wouldn’t worry too much I have an unvaccinated friend and no idea who else’s company I m in who isn’t vaccinated but I can well understand how it would worry a lot of people and personally I think anyone working with the general public should HAVE to be vaccinated
I know I ve had all three jabs plus my flu one so I feel as protected as possible

Grandmabatty Mon 29-Nov-21 11:08:19

I would find another hairdresser. Mine has perspex panels between chairs, everyone is masked and the towels etc are disposable.

Calistemon Mon 29-Nov-21 11:07:16

Unvaccinated Young Hairdresser: what would you do?

If you feel uneasy then don't go there, it would be better to find another hairdresser who take more precautions.

However, if you have been double vaccinated and had a booster then surely she is at more risk than you.

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 29-Nov-21 10:59:23

I wouldn’t go there again, if she isn’t able to be vaccinated due to medical reasons I might rethink if all precautions are being taken otherwise I would cancel my appointment and tell the Manager the reasons.
My hairdresser went mobile because the other (younger) stylists refused to have vaccinations and the salon is an internal room, so no Windows, just an internal door to the Gym.

V3ra Mon 29-Nov-21 10:58:11

I've been back to the salon once. There are screens between each chair station.
I had to wear a mask all the time. I had to unhook it from my ear but hold it over my mouth while she cut the sides. I was told quite clearly what she wanted me to do.
I was given a coffee but it was in a disposable cup.
I don't know the vaccination status of all the stylists, there's a wide age range from teenage to my age. I've had both plus the booster and I'm sure my stylist said she'd had both.

Lincslass Mon 29-Nov-21 10:56:51

My hairdresser, and the customers, wear masks throughout. Didn’t think it would be possible to have hair washed with mask on, but hey yes it is. Where there’s a will there’s a way, many not willing to find a way though.

JaneJudge Mon 29-Nov-21 10:55:18

Ours wear masks and I had to take mine off briefly to have some highlights done last week. I know my hairdresser has been vaccinated but I don't know about the other staff. They leave the doors/windows open and wear gloves and it's very clean. I'm not sure what more they can do.

Sparklefizz Mon 29-Nov-21 10:52:25

My hairdresser actually warned me not to go into her salon because she doesn't feel the stylists and manager are careful enough, so she comes to my house and cuts my hair in the kitchen with my windows open, both of us fully masked.

She caught Covid from an unvaxxed client and her PCR test was one of those sent to that dodgy lab in Wolverhampton and it came back negative, so she continued to go to work and inadvertently infected her husband, 3 children, both sets of parents and a few clients. All her clients' contact details had to be given to Test & Trace.

I would be very careful, especially with the Omicron variant doing the rounds now.

Northernlass Mon 29-Nov-21 10:48:10

Perhaps the subject says it all?!

At the hairdressers' last week my hairdresser (early 30s, single), in passing, said she'd not been vaccinated as "it's not been tested enough". She had covid (mild symptoms) last year during lockdown and thinks she'll have natural immunity. She says she does regular LF tests...
None of the hairdressers in the salon have been wearing masks since they stopped being mandatory.

I feel stupid that I'd not thought to ask her if she'd been vaccinated; I'd assumed so for a variety of reasons.

My DIL says people aren't allowed into her salon unless they're wearing a mask (it's very trendy) and was told off once when she took off her mask a little longer than expected to have a drink!

What have you been doing about going back to hair salons? Those with mobile hairdressers need not reply! :-)