Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

So far only a hypothetical situation, but what would you do?

(115 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Mon 29-Nov-21 14:55:16

A delightful young woman does the same job as me, but usually at a different site so we only work together occasionally depending on staffing problems and timetable issues. She is lovely, clever, charming and good at her job. Normally I enjoy working with her. But, she is a Covid non believer! Neither she, her husband or her son have been vaccinated. She won't wear a mask. ( During earlier mask wearing instructions she had a " Covid exempt" lanyard. I had presumed it was a medical reason, but apparently not). She doesn't even believe in or does any testing. Back when the vaccinations first came out, as we were furloughed, we were sent to help at the vax centres. I absolutely loved doing it, but she refused as she didn't believe or approve of them.
I have really worked hard to stay safe and have always worn a mask at work all day, on public transport and in shops and public places. I have had all my vaccinations.
Staffing at work at the moment is really bad and we are being moved all over the place. The chances are that sooner or later, I will be sent to work with her or she will have to come to my location. Do you think I would be entitled or justified to refuse to work with her?

Baggs Mon 29-Nov-21 19:32:14

The second one: voluntarily

Luckygirl3 Mon 29-Nov-21 20:53:52

My friend has just come back from France. The rules are clear and tight and people obey them.

What is the matter with some people here that they cannot just bite the bullet and get on with it? It is pathetic.

I am sorry to sound like an old Grandma (!?) but we all have some concept of what people during two world wars tolerated and they just got on with it - blackouts, gas masks, rationing etc.

I am getting tired of hearing these snowflakes thinking they are hard done by when really so little is being asked of them under the current rules.

Disgruntled of Great Britain smile

Rosina Mon 29-Nov-21 22:16:13

Lizbethann have you ever asked this woman what she thinks the cause might be of millions of deaths? I have yet to meet a rabid anti vaxxer or Covid denier, but would like to hear what they have to say, especially about the 'conspiracy' theory which seems to have been stealthily arranged to include every government on earth. Has anyone heard an even half logical argument for a conspiracy theory - what might it be for?

JenniferEccles Mon 29-Nov-21 22:26:33

The anti-vaxxers who state they would take the medication if it was in pill form rather than a vaccine, just goes to show how illogical their thinking is.

It concerns me that the longer people refuse the vaccine, yet don’t succumb to covid, the stronger their resolve will be.

MissAdventure Mon 29-Nov-21 22:29:48

I think the issue of consent is going to be our downfall, and it is such a big deal.

grumppa Mon 29-Nov-21 22:37:25

An anti-vaxer I know attributes the deaths from COVID to to the sufferers being given the wrong treatment. Simple!

Dinahmo Mon 29-Nov-21 23:06:34

Back in the summer the owners of bars and restaurants in France were told that they had to check the covid passports of anyone entering their premises. Some of them refused and closed rather than act as gendarmes. There were demonstrations throughout the country in support of those who refused. Gendarmes had the power to enter premises to check that diners had passports and the owners could be fined if someone without a passport was present.

This reaction died away fairly quickly. I've only seen one person without a mask in the supermarket and you will be told not to come into shops, doctors etc etc if unmasked. We recently went to a concert, probably 1000 people in the audience. When we arrived there was a long queue to have covid passports checked and we were required to wear masks indoors. The queue moved quickly and it was no big deal.

I'm an asthmatic and find masks very difficult to wear. My nose starts to run and I'm gasping for breath by the time we leave a supermarket. However, once seated, breath regained and calm, mask wearing is not a problem.

Sometimes the French surprise me. Before covid we had demos every week end in support of the gilets jaunes and in some ways the people who supported them were like the Insulate Britain demonstrators - middle class, middle aged professional people. These same people, when the covid measures are discussed just shrug and say that it's what we have to do.

rosie1959 Mon 29-Nov-21 23:33:21

France does have much tighter rules than the UK but yet its covid rates are increasing at quite a speed

BigBertha1 Tue 30-Nov-21 07:25:05

I would be task ng my manager and HR for a new Risk Assessment 're the whole situation you are entitled to that and to see the outcome.

Biscuitmuncher Tue 30-Nov-21 08:05:35

Isnt it funny that she's never worn a mask, and is unvaccinated? It's a wonder she's still alive

MissAdventure Tue 30-Nov-21 08:11:56

That's probably due to the fact that most people are vaccinated and wear masks.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 30-Nov-21 09:12:46

I would definitely not work with her, ok she puts herself at risk by not getting vaccinated but she puts you at risk by none mask wearing, all this about being medically exempt is rubbish, you can still wear a mask.

FarNorth Tue 30-Nov-21 10:17:31

Biscuitmuncher

Isnt it funny that she's never worn a mask, and is unvaccinated? It's a wonder she's still alive

You know that mask-wearing mainly protects others, rather than oneself?

And most others around her have been wearing masks.

MayBee70 Tue 30-Nov-21 11:14:43

The owner of Iceland has said they won’t make people wear masks in their shops. The Telegraph keep running articles about how masks don’t work etc. I’m sick of all of the mixed messages. What is wrong with people in this country. If the virus was visible ( plagues of rats, rabid dogs) people would be happy to put up barriers between themselves and it.

Smileless2012 Tue 30-Nov-21 11:19:36

He's told his staff to request any non mask wearers wear one but doesn't expect them to try and enforce it and I agree with him.

It's not fair for staff to be put in a position where they may be subjected to abuse.

275men Tue 30-Nov-21 11:24:24

Yes. If she’s free to refuse jabs then surely you’re free to refuse to work near her.

Alioop Tue 30-Nov-21 11:28:32

The anti-vaxxers I know are not budging at all over all this and I get frustrated listening to their reasoning behind it. I don't even know, god forbid, that they would lose someone dear to them to Covid would they change their minds. This woman you may up working with sounds like one of them and I would have a wee word with your manager about your worries and hopefully he can be selective when arranging placements for you with this woman.

Coco51 Tue 30-Nov-21 11:28:34

If you are in a vulnerable group either healthwise or age, I would point out the difficulty to your manager. Now there is a new directive to wear masks your colleague is being irresponsible - the only exemptions for mask wearing are for certain health conditions, not personal choice. I should think there would be sanctions for an individual who falsely claim to be exempt.

rizlett Tue 30-Nov-21 11:29:30

Your line manager has a duty of care to undertake a risk assessment for those who are expected to work with anyone who doesn't wear a mask - it doesn't really matter what their justification is for that.
Given the more contactable strain of Covid our current risk is higher & being vaccinated is not protection from this strain.

Your employer has a duty to keep you safe just as much as those who choose not to wear mask.

They may need to put other measures in place for example screens - or indeed manage it so that she doesn't work less than 2 meters to anyone else.

I undertake health assessments & decline to do so for people that don't wear masks. Most of them - even those who have a medical exemption - put a mask on when I explain I won't do it without.

bevisp1 Tue 30-Nov-21 11:29:33

The covid situation along with vaccination or no vaccination people has caused quite a problem with friends, and/or families. My husband has experienced this with 2 of his adult grown up children, didn’t fully understand when he caught covid over last Xmas & new year, before he got it they couldn’t understand why we were staying put and not calling in ( as they were still doing all sorts!)
One of my sons hasn’t been vaccinated yet as much as I kept on at him. He is an adult and can make up his own mind!!! He says he will but not yet, don’t know what he’s waiting for... he knows how I feel but it’s a subject we do not really discuss. All I can do is hope & pray that if he gets covid that it isn’t bad. But I would refuse to fall out with him, unlike some families do, we do meet up & do the usual - coffee, lunches, family occasions etc. But I think if I was in your situation with a friend at work I probably would try & move desk or workspace away from her. I also might with friends, but there again my friends have been vaccinated. Good luck with what you choose to do.

jaylucy Tue 30-Nov-21 11:29:35

Certainly speak to your manager as others have said and express your concerns.
I would also add that if you have a union (and they will often give advice even if you are not a member) contact them and see what they can suggest.
No doubt this problem may well not be that unusual. I was surprised by the negative comments on our local community Facebook group about mask wearing.

Brigidsdaughter Tue 30-Nov-21 11:30:08

Where my son works requires anyone not vaxed to test every day before work to allow attendance.

Nannan2 Tue 30-Nov-21 11:33:22

How can she be entitled to wear a 'covid Exempt' lanyard if she doesnt bl**dy believe covid is a thing??sorry but that beggars belief !? In fact id have had to ask her that straight out! Stupid woman- She'll be sorry if any of her family catch it what with this new variant out as well- ive no sympathy for the idiots who think they're immune without even having the vaccine (or the illness) and especially not with the 'head in the sand brigade' ?

ADBJF Tue 30-Nov-21 11:40:30

Double vaxed and booster, erred on side of caution and still caught Covid. So ill and still suffering exhaustion and joint pain.
I would choose not to mix with anyone who chooses not to be vaccinated.
They may well get Covid and survive but who might they infect who die?
Your colleague is entitled to her opinion, you should not be forced to share it.
I understand you may feel awkward saying how you feel to your boss and your collegue but its your health at risk.

Nannan2 Tue 30-Nov-21 11:40:57

I've said all along that the vaccine should be compulsory- and then there'd be no arguing over it- and many more lives would not be at risk- looks like Austria and now several other countries have a modicum of sense at least.