Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

So far only a hypothetical situation, but what would you do?

(115 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Mon 29-Nov-21 14:55:16

A delightful young woman does the same job as me, but usually at a different site so we only work together occasionally depending on staffing problems and timetable issues. She is lovely, clever, charming and good at her job. Normally I enjoy working with her. But, she is a Covid non believer! Neither she, her husband or her son have been vaccinated. She won't wear a mask. ( During earlier mask wearing instructions she had a " Covid exempt" lanyard. I had presumed it was a medical reason, but apparently not). She doesn't even believe in or does any testing. Back when the vaccinations first came out, as we were furloughed, we were sent to help at the vax centres. I absolutely loved doing it, but she refused as she didn't believe or approve of them.
I have really worked hard to stay safe and have always worn a mask at work all day, on public transport and in shops and public places. I have had all my vaccinations.
Staffing at work at the moment is really bad and we are being moved all over the place. The chances are that sooner or later, I will be sent to work with her or she will have to come to my location. Do you think I would be entitled or justified to refuse to work with her?

Lulubelle500 Tue 30-Nov-21 12:59:50

We're constantly being told wearing a mask protects others, not the wearer themselves, so you'd be quite justified in refusing to work with her. I've been a lifelong believer in 'your body your choice' but that simply doesn't apply when you put others at risk. Plus anyone vulnerable they might come in contact with in the future. The whole pandemic vaccination programme is like a chain, considerably weakened by people like your co worker.

Maremia Tue 30-Nov-21 13:02:45

Is this a 'safety at work' issue? You are entitled to work in a safe environment. You could discretely talk to your Health and Safety officer, if you have one, and find out if there are policies covering this.

gilld69 Tue 30-Nov-21 13:59:19

it's up to you to decide,my hubby son and I are vaccinated my 2 Dd and Sils are not, I wish they were but I can't refuse to let them in or I'd never see them again, so only you can decide

jenpax Tue 30-Nov-21 14:19:20

My eldest DD (a front line worker) has covid and has been really unwell (I have been very anxious) she has had both vaccines and the booster! The vaccine refusers make me very angry

62Granny Tue 30-Nov-21 14:27:30

Just as she has the option not to believe in in the virus , vaccine or masks you also have the right to say you need to be protected against those things and be able to work in a safe environment as much as anyone can at this time. I would definitely speak to your line manager, also your union if you are a member just to get things on the record for your own a wellbeing.

Shandy3 Tue 30-Nov-21 14:32:40

Baggs
Triple vaxxed or nit, did you not realise that approximately 15% if the population the vaccines will not be effective on? I guess none if us will know if that's us until we contract it! Therefore be as wary of non-vaxers as you can be!

sazz1 Tue 30-Nov-21 14:42:21

I do wear a mask when it's required but as I have lung damage I could be genuinely exempt. Often leave OH at the check out and go outside to take it off so I can breathe easier. Really wish GPs had to issue exemption cards so genuine people like myself would be believed and those pretending would be outed.
However, I don't think masks do much to protect you as German's wear medical masks everywhere and still have very high infection rates. Sadly with 80% fully vaccinated in my area cases are still the highest in the county. At least the vaccine protects you from the severity of the virus.
If you are fully vaccinated like myself and wearing a mask then I can't see your problem. Vaccinated and unvaccinated can both catch and transmit the virus unfortunately.

Dickens Tue 30-Nov-21 15:16:28

Galaxy

Does that mean people would be allowed to say they wouldnt work with someone who is medically exempt because that's a very slippery slope.

Someone who is medically exempt, but who is aware of the danger of exposing others to their own possible infection, is likely to be reasonable enough to understand social distancing and care enough to cough and sneeze into a tissue and keep their distance.

I have a cleaning lady in this exempt group - we just take sensible precautions, and it's not a worry for me, or her.

But the woman in the article is a Covid-denier (or whatever they're called), and if she doesn't believe the virus exists might well be likely to not give a stuff about other people's concerns, or their safety.

Completely different kettle of fish.

Baggs Tue 30-Nov-21 15:29:57

Shandy3

Baggs
Triple vaxxed or nit, did you not realise that approximately 15% if the population the vaccines will not be effective on? I guess none if us will know if that's us until we contract it! Therefore be as wary of non-vaxers as you can be!

I'm as 'wary' of non-vaxxers as I am of people with a stinking cold or flu. I'm not going to worry and warify myself more than that.

Markoni40 Tue 30-Nov-21 15:39:32

I am not sure why are you concerned - you are vaccinated! if anyone should be concerned it is her...

Georgina77 Tue 30-Nov-21 15:44:59

She has her Human Rights but in return so do you. If l were in this situation l would keep the matter entirely professional and not personalise it. I would ask for a meeting with my Line Manager whereby l would state my concerns without judgement or accusation and plainly state that the worry this matter is causing you is affecting your mental health. If you wear a mask that just protects the other person - you are still vulnerable. I dont know the logistics of your working environment but your organisation through your Line Manager has a duty of care toward you. If l didn't get a positive response l would ask for a further meeting with my Line Manager and a member of HR /Union. Sometimes Managers do not feel empowered to deal with a matter and welcome the support of HR and/or the Union. If you live with a vulnerable person tell this in your submission. Remember keep it all strictly impersonal - it is a business matter albeit one that affects your mental health and could affect your physical health if you caught covid from this person and by default infect othets

grandtanteJE65 Tue 30-Nov-21 16:28:12

In your place I would discuss my concerns with my immediate superior at work AFTER I had asked the advice of my union.

Rather than saying you do not want to work with her, as she is one of those who refuse to be vaccinated, or take other precautions, say that her attitude and failure to take tests or be vaccinated concerns you and make constructive suggestions as to how the risk for you and others in the office can be minimized.

These could be always sticking to the distancing regulations, using hand disinfectants, wearing a mask, and either having a window slightly open at all times, or airing the office thoroughly for ten to fifteen minutes every hour or hour and a half.

By making constructive suggestions, which if appropriate could also be a suggestion that she or you work from home, you come across as concerned but able to see the broader issue that the work has to be done and are tactfully suggesting a resolution to a problem that presumably is not only worrying you.

However recently and often we have been vaccinated we are still at risk of contracting Covid 19 if we or others behave irresponsibly, although happily, we should stand a good chance of not becoming as seriously ill as the unvaccinated.

Wearing masks protects others from any germs or vira we exhale to a far greater extent than they protect us from inhaling germs and vira.

MayBee70 Tue 30-Nov-21 16:44:03

Baggs

Shandy3

Baggs

I'm as 'wary' of non-vaxxers as I am of people with a stinking cold or flu. I'm not going to worry and warify myself more than that.

That’s the sort of thing that my covid denying acquaintances say. Do you just think that covid is just a touch of flu or a bad cold then ?

Baggs Tue 30-Nov-21 16:45:56

No. I’m just not a worrier.

Baggs Tue 30-Nov-21 16:47:25

Though for some people it is even less than a touch of flu or cold otherwise there wouldn’t be a symptomatic cases.

Baggs Tue 30-Nov-21 16:47:55

Asymptomatic

Baggs Tue 30-Nov-21 16:51:53

I don’t know any COVID deniers. I don’t know anyone who has had COVID either.

Smileless2012 Tue 30-Nov-21 17:01:54

I don't know anyone whose had Covid or is anti the vaccination either Baggs.

I am a worrier though and became really anxious during the first lock down and don't want to get like that again. We're jabbed. Mr. S. x 3, me x 2 but should get my booster next week and we've continued to take sensible precautions throughout.

VeeScott Tue 30-Nov-21 17:37:14

Personally I would assure her she is entitled to her opinion and then insist I sit double the distance from her.

Kimi64 Tue 30-Nov-21 17:45:34

It does rile me when people wear exempt badges when they are not exempt ,and is it really awful to wear a mask when popping into a store ? They should think about those that have to wear them all day every day in their jobs.

Kimi64 Tue 30-Nov-21 17:48:12

I know about 5 or 6 of my colleagues that have had Covid and although some were very ill all recovered ?

FarNorth Tue 30-Nov-21 17:54:44

Kimi64 Your point is??

Baggs Tue 30-Nov-21 18:55:19

Most people who get it recover from covid.

growstuff Tue 30-Nov-21 19:02:35

Baggs

Most people who get it recover from covid.

Most people can go for a drive and not get killed. That doesn't mean that there are no traffic accidents or that people are less likely to die in their car if they drive safely and watch out for people who drive badly.

naughtynanny Tue 30-Nov-21 19:07:32

As it stands right now, both you, and the unvaxed lady, are on a level playing field. Despite your jabs, you can still get C19 and pass it on, and so can she. There is no validity at all in, ' but the vaccinated won't get it so bad', how are you ever going to know if you've had it worse, or not so bad as anyone else. There's no score sheet with marks out of 10.
This is SO divisive. You liked working with the lady, you found her lovely, clever and charming, and now you are letting this 'fear' change the way you react to her, just because of her personal views.

That is grossly unfair of you, and you are actually discriminating against her.
Wear your mask, protect yourself if you feel more comfortable, you do you, and let her do her, and carry on your lovely working relationship. Don't forget she will remember this in time to come...... then you'll be the one feeling awkward.