Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Christmas party at Downing Street last year

(393 Posts)
varian Fri 03-Dec-21 11:31:35

Families who lost loved ones during the pandemic have said they are "sickened" by a No 10 Christmas party held during last year's Covid restrictions.

The party took place on 18 December, with a source telling the BBC "several dozen" people attended.

But the Covid restrictions operating at the time banned such events.

Boris Johnson - who was not at the party - said no Covid rules were broken, but No 10 has refused to explain how party-goers complied.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59505975

Coastpath Wed 08-Dec-21 10:38:24

Grannynannywanny that must have been very hard for you and your relative. flowers

GillT57 Wed 08-Dec-21 10:39:36

MissAdventure

I think any rules will be advisory only.
How can they possibly enforce them after this, and the end result will be further spread of the virus.

My thoughts exactly. Quite frankly, most people are so incensed at the sneering disregard for the regulations and the electorate who obediently followed them that any new advice to avoid parties or limit the number of people in your home are going to be angrily dismissed. This will have a serious impact on the spread of covid19 and the fault lies squarely with Johnson and his cabinet. Frankly I wouldn't believe him if he told me it was December.

Grannynannywanny Wed 08-Dec-21 10:52:18

Thank you Coastpath. Yes it was very tough and I fear we are heading into more of the same. Omicron is spreading rapidly and the knock on effect from the disgusting behaviour of the government will be many folk unwilling to observe the guidelines resulting in further spread. I fear the nursing homes will be locked down again soon.

Casdon Wed 08-Dec-21 10:59:22

I’m disappointed today, because the Stereophonics concert I was going to on 17th has just been postponed. It’s an outside event, and the cancellation makes me think that there is very serious concern about Omicron that the event organisers have been pre-warned about.
It’s very worrying to think that people may flout the guidelines in light of the parties held by the government last year if that is the case.

FarNorth Wed 08-Dec-21 11:16:18

Grannynannywanny it is really distressing to think how restricted our lives have been, while politicians & their hangers-on did what they liked and sneered at us.

I wonder if the people of any other country are finding out that their government has been quite so despicable.

Kali2 Wed 08-Dec-21 11:26:41

And video of recent evening talk with Rees-Mogg who also thinks it was hilarious!

MissAdventure Wed 08-Dec-21 11:27:38

With all those pillocks guffawing at his non funny jokes. angry

FarNorth Wed 08-Dec-21 12:23:43

An interview with a member of Covid 19 Bereaved Families for Justice.

youtu.be/qQR8PAJRmzk

Grannynannywanny Wed 08-Dec-21 12:33:16

I saw that earlier FarNorth. It’s heartbreaking.

Alegrias1 Wed 08-Dec-21 12:44:08

I'm so angry about this I can't even make proper sentences. What have we come to? sad

love0c Wed 08-Dec-21 12:51:06

I am so with you there Alegrias1.

Zink1 Wed 08-Dec-21 14:54:33

Is there a difference between someone who broke the law yesterday and someone who broke the same law a year ago?

A crime is committed against you a year ago, the criminal is caught today. Do you say it doesn't matter because it happened a longtime ago? I wouldn't.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 08-Dec-21 14:57:29

? on twitter

BREAKING: It has now been revealed there were at least THREE different Downing Street parties - including one in Boris Johnson’s flat - while the rest of the U.K. was in Lockdown

MissAdventure Wed 08-Dec-21 15:00:42

Surprised, anyone?
No, I didn't think so.
This is the tip of a very big iceberg, I'm sure.

Susan56 Wed 08-Dec-21 15:13:46

I am fuming about it.Since the start of the first lockdown five members of our extended family have died, four this year.
The last eight weeks of my father in laws life were horrendous because of the restrictions.We realise that at 94 he had a good life but the last eight weeks alone and confused in hospital were hideous and we are all finding it very difficult to accept.For the Prime Minister and his cronies to deny there was a party and then to have been filmed laughing about it all just adds insult to the hurt we are all feeling.

sodapop Wed 08-Dec-21 15:43:30

That is the crux of it for me too Susan56 the insulting way MPs felt they could treat the electorate.
I'm so sorry for all the losses your family has suffered, I understand how angry you must feel.

GillT57 Wed 08-Dec-21 15:45:49

Did anyone else watch PMQ today? Johnson blustering and obfuscating as usual but not quite as cocky confident as usual and his front bench comrades were rather quiet. I have to say that Ian Blackmore of the SNP was blistering in his attack. This is not going away, it is not just 'politics' or the Westminster bubble, it has impacted the life of every one of us and he can't just waffle on about having someone look into the allegations. Trust is broken although some of us have never trusted the cheating, immoral liar from the start.

Susan56 Wed 08-Dec-21 15:49:25

Thank you sodapop

varian Wed 08-Dec-21 19:40:12

Let's not forget that this cheating immoral liar was able to become PM with an eighty seat majority after an election where most of the voters did see through him and voted against him, but that meant nothing thanks to our undemocratic FPTP electoral system.

Marydoll Wed 08-Dec-21 20:04:17

I have just viewed the Rees Mogg video on Twitter, I'm speechless! ?

Grannynannywanny Wed 08-Dec-21 20:18:53

Marydoll

I’m not Marydoll but I’m showing great restraint as I’ll be banned from Gransnet if I post how I feel today watching these odious oiks.

Marydoll Wed 08-Dec-21 20:25:27

Grannynannywanny

Marydoll

I’m not Marydoll but I’m showing great restraint as I’ll be banned from Gransnet if I post how I feel today watching these odious oiks.

Me being speechless, is a very rare occurance. That shows how disgusted I am with that odious man!

When I was teaching, my pupils knew there was trouble brewing, if I suddenly became silent! wink

Grannynannywanny Wed 08-Dec-21 20:31:01

Marydoll ?

Calistemon Wed 08-Dec-21 21:49:54

Whitewavemark2

? on twitter

BREAKING: It has now been revealed there were at least THREE different Downing Street parties - including one in Boris Johnson’s flat - while the rest of the U.K. was in Lockdown

So when he says he wasn't at the party he means he wasn't at that party!

Lucca Wed 08-Dec-21 22:06:05

Marydoll

Yup.me too. That man (frankie Boyle calls him a “haunted pencil “) provokes thoughts of violence in me,