Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Christmas party at Downing Street last year

(393 Posts)
varian Fri 03-Dec-21 11:31:35

Families who lost loved ones during the pandemic have said they are "sickened" by a No 10 Christmas party held during last year's Covid restrictions.

The party took place on 18 December, with a source telling the BBC "several dozen" people attended.

But the Covid restrictions operating at the time banned such events.

Boris Johnson - who was not at the party - said no Covid rules were broken, but No 10 has refused to explain how party-goers complied.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59505975

Lucca Wed 08-Dec-21 22:07:20

This

Calistemon Wed 08-Dec-21 22:26:22

Lucca

Marydoll

I have just viewed the Rees Mogg video on Twitter, I'm speechless! ?

Yup.me too. That man (frankie Boyle calls him a “haunted pencil “) provokes thoughts of violence in me,

Frankie Boyle has that effect on me.

Is the a link to the JRM video?

Marydoll Wed 08-Dec-21 22:45:22

That video!

twitter.com/siobhni/status/1468324910883819527?t=JwZgtUA1XC_2Q-MLnNif8Q&s=08

Calistemon Wed 08-Dec-21 22:52:20

Thank you Marydoll

Ha ha, absolutely hilarious
?

MissAdventure Wed 08-Dec-21 23:06:40

He should take up stand up comedy.
Snort snort!

annodomini Wed 08-Dec-21 23:40:16

I may not be speechless (that would be a first), but I do feel more than slightly nauseated. ?

MissAdventure Wed 08-Dec-21 23:50:11

Lord Snooty comes to mind.

FarNorth Thu 09-Dec-21 00:19:17

Social distancing tee-hee. We can joke about all that because it's behind us now and everyone's happy - oh, hang on.....

FarNorth Thu 09-Dec-21 00:20:13

JRM deserves to have a nasty case of covid, btw.

Grantanow Tue 11-Jan-22 15:09:31

Partygate is almost as laughable as it is disgraceful and an insult to all those who lost loved ones to Covid. Does Boris really need to await the outcome of the investigation to know whether he attended the BYOB garden party? The Tories must make him resign for the public good.

MayBee70 Tue 11-Jan-22 15:33:27

Looking forward to PMQT tomorrow….

Barmeyoldbat Tue 11-Jan-22 15:48:43

People have resigned for far less and so should he. Disgraceful but what do you expect from someone who feels so entitled

lemongrove Tue 11-Jan-22 16:59:46

Calistemon

I thought Peston spoke like that because he is a stammerer but he denies that, said it is a media myth.

If he's not controlling a stammer then his speech is affected and very annoying.
I'll stop making allowances for him.

I never made any allowances for him in the first place, think he is a first rate honker ( family speak for arrogant/pretentious/snide/affected person).

lemongrove Tue 11-Jan-22 17:08:23

Barmeyoldbat

People have resigned for far less and so should he. Disgraceful but what do you expect from someone who feels so entitled

It isn’t just him though is it? What was the civil servant who organised the party in May ( with invitations saying BYOB on them) thinking?!! Johnson should have vetoed the whole thing as the buck stops at the top, he didn’t and the whole staff at number ten seemed to think that a party after hours was just fine.
Working in the garden at number ten and having a glass of wine or coffee during the day was fine, but not an evening ‘do’ with invitations.

Sarnia Wed 12-Jan-22 08:30:08

Correct me if I'm wrong, lemongrove but at the time I think we were only able to see 1 other person outside and socially distanced at that so a 'gathering' as the Tories like to call them, outside would still have broken the rules.

lemongrove Wed 12-Jan-22 10:07:46

Am not sure Sarnia if the people were employees ( that’s up to the police and an investigation to decide.)
If they normally work in a building, and then choose to be outside ( better) what rules are broken?
However..... this new charge of a May get together ( party) where a lot of people are invited with the BYOB! On an invitation is a different matter entirely.
The seeing one other person outside at the time, didn’t include work colleagues who had to actively go into the building where they worked.I think I have that right as it seems common sense.

MayBee70 Wed 12-Jan-22 11:24:54

Rules in the workplace
As part of the government’s recovery strategy, it also published new guidelines for employers and staff on how to manage workplaces safely.

As a general principle, it advised employers that “you need to think about the risks [workers] face and do everything reasonably practicable to minimise them, recognising you cannot completely eliminate the risk of COVID-19.”

Assuming that Downing Street staff were considered essential workers who could not do their jobs from home, they were required to keep two metres apart whenever possible.

The workplace guidelines that applied in May 2020 do not say whether social gatherings between colleagues in the workplace were permitted, although they do advise that different teams should usually avoid mixing “as far as possible”.

The guidelines also say that meetings should usually be limited to “only absolutely necessary participants”. It also advised that these should be held outdoors or in well ventilated areas when possible. A separate document also said “workers should try to minimise all meetings and other gatherings in the workplace".

The guidelines said that breaks in common areas should usually be staggered and that any seating in these areas should be reconfigured “to maintain spacing and reduce face-to-face interactions.”

The government’s outdoor guidance on 20 May 2020 also said: “Businesses should also take reasonable steps to avoid people being gathered together.”

This is from Full Fact.