Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Will you continue to wear a mask?

(162 Posts)
LizzieDrip Thu 27-Jan-22 10:07:06

Just that really. With more or less all restrictions being lifted today, will you continue to wear a mask in shops and on public transport? Personally, I feel safer wearing a mask when out and about - but will I be the only one???

LizzieDrip Thu 27-Jan-22 10:47:22

Agreed! I think this is all particularly worrying for the CEV. Not sure I like the idea of CEV folks having to ‘identify’ themselves in some way. In an inclusive society, we should all be working together for the good of everyone, equally. All these restrictions being lifted smacks of ‘the young, fit & healthy’ can get on with life as usual; the rest of us… ‘tough luck’. sad

FannyCornforth Thu 27-Jan-22 10:53:37

It’s called the ‘Distance Aware’ scheme.
You can get a yellow lanyard or badge.
I tend to think that If someone can see you lanyard, or badge especially, they are already too close.
It seems a bit useless really

GagaJo Thu 27-Jan-22 10:57:53

I've masked up since Feb 2020. See no reason to change now. I'm also continuing to be extremely selective about what indoor locations I go into. No pubs or restaurants, where I have to take my mask off.

Personal choice of course. Others in my family have to take risks due to work/school, so my life isn't totally risk free. But as near as I can get it.

dogsmother Thu 27-Jan-22 10:59:38

Not if I don’t have to, a nuisance with glasses.

Callistemon21 Thu 27-Jan-22 11:01:19

That's why my hair is unmanageable again - I cancelled my appointment before Christmas because the stylists weren't wearing masks or visors.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 27-Jan-22 11:01:35

dogsmother

Not interested in protecting your fellow citizen?

Calendargirl Thu 27-Jan-22 11:02:17

Wore mine for my Tesco shop this morning. Most people looked to be still wearing one, but not some of the staff.

hazel93 Thu 27-Jan-22 11:03:46

Absolutely. A no brainer in my view.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 27-Jan-22 11:05:25

dogsmother

Yes most are a nuisance with glasses but something I’m happy to put up with to try and keep myself and others safe.

Riverwalk Thu 27-Jan-22 11:06:27

A decent mask also protects the wearer - I wish the government had stressed this aspect over the past two years.

Jaxjacky Thu 27-Jan-22 11:07:07

Yes, off to the library soon, with my mask.

Marydoll Thu 27-Jan-22 11:07:50

FannyCornforth

It’s called the ‘Distance Aware’ scheme.
You can get a yellow lanyard or badge.
I tend to think that If someone can see you lanyard, or badge especially, they are already too close.
It seems a bit useless really

Here is the link to the ScotGov web page.

www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-distance-aware-scheme/

LilacChaser Thu 27-Jan-22 11:09:17

Nooooooooooooooo. Continue? I never started.....

aonk Thu 27-Jan-22 11:09:39

I do understand the point about the “young fit and healthy” carrying on with their lives. They need to be able to do this though. They’re doing important work to keep the economy going and bringing up the next generation. I know this means that some older people will feel at risk but I don’t see a solution to this. I do feel however that mask wearing should continue. It’s an easy and cheap way to ensure at least some protection for us all especially in essential areas such as shops and transport.

FannyCornforth Thu 27-Jan-22 11:09:51

Thank you Mary
I think that it relies upon shops etc to back it to be successful.
I really hope that it is.
What do you think of it?

FannyCornforth Thu 27-Jan-22 11:10:19

LilacChaser

Nooooooooooooooo. Continue? I never started.....

Are you joking?

Blossoming Thu 27-Jan-22 11:11:08

Yes, I will continue to wear a mask.

Nannan2 Thu 27-Jan-22 11:12:53

Definitely will- and if workmen come in i'll insist they do too, as we're all vulnerable in our house, with youngest son previously being on shielding list.?

Parsley3 Thu 27-Jan-22 11:14:48

Yes I will. My granddaughter in England is being home schooled this week as so many staff and children in her school have Covid. A small rural school near her has closed down for the same reason.

Purplepixie Thu 27-Jan-22 11:15:36

YES! The virus hasn’t magically gone away. Just because it is announced that the masks can come off today doesn’t mean we are safe.

MissChateline Thu 27-Jan-22 11:17:00

I've spent yesterday having a pamper day as a birthday present. Thai massage, spa and lunch out. Not a mask to be seen in any of these places. Im on the train home now. No one has one one. Am I bothered. No I'm not. They are foul disgusting wet rags that do very little and l will be pleased never to have to wear one again. Im fully vaccinated and intend to get on with life without my glasses steaming up all the time and enjoying seeing other people smile.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 27-Jan-22 11:21:55

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

LtEve Thu 27-Jan-22 11:23:13

I will at work because we have to, although Covid has run riot through the whole workplace even during lockdowns despite it so I am not convinced of the efficacy. The big Bangladeshi study had it down as a 13% reduction in cases when people wore surgical masks properly and much lower with fabric masks with constant reminders about how to wear them correctly.
I will also wear one in crowded places but my local supermarket has about 6 people in it at the time I go and virtually no staff wear them so I won't there. Small shops like charity shops where staff are wearing them then I will.

I do think it's become a focus, if everyone wears one then you won't catch it but if you don't wear one you will which is obviously not true.

growstuff Thu 27-Jan-22 11:25:06

There's no guarantee you won't catch Covid, but your risk is reduced. It's a small price to pay.

Marydoll Thu 27-Jan-22 11:25:10

FannyCornforth

Thank you Mary
I think that it relies upon shops etc to back it to be successful.
I really hope that it is.
What do you think of it?

Fanny, at first I thought it was a good idea and was thinking of getting one, because recently, as someone who is CEV, I have on a few occasions been shoved out of the way in shops here, by maskless people, when masks and social distancing are still required.

Now I don't know, for fear of being viewed either as a poor helpless soul or making a fuss about nothing.
You only have to read the insensitive views of some posters on GN, to understand why.