Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

The Lockdown GangSTARS still going

(1001 Posts)
Kaimoana2 Thu 28-Jul-22 22:10:02

We’re starting another thread of continued friendship and support.
Although many of us have been chatting since the start of lockdown, thanks to Doodle and Cherry, we’ve been lucky to welcome others who have joined in more recently.
Anyone who wants to pop in for a chat is very welcome. smile

Kaimoana2 Fri 12-Aug-22 04:46:10

Jan Oooh you are awful – but I like you smile
Glad it made you giggle – it truly was the oddest dream I've ever had.
Well done to get your health issues sorted.

Good news today and worth stomping on my shame. Being in debt or refusing glasses and dental work is worse than a bit of embarrassment (I told myself). smile
Feel the fear and do it anyway and ignore the sound of my mother turning in her grave because I've gone cap in hand to 'the welfare'. The optician's bill is paid.

I am going to post a separate account of my fantastic (in the true sense of that word) astonishing visit to Te Pou Digital Theatre last night. I'm telling you so now so you can skip my next post if you're not interested.

Interesting price comparison of foods across the world.
They don't shop at the same supermarket I do. Chicken breast for instance is currently $12.49 and advertised as 'Extra Low Price' as if saying makes it so. And I can't find eggs less than $7.99

The Commerce Commission announced NZ's two supermarket chains, the only shops allowed to open, made $438 million excess profit due to Covid.
So no real need to sting poor Kiwi families by (in some cases) doubling prices of essentials – but there never was ethics in the same room as money.

The sun is shining, it's a glorious day.

Grammaretto Fri 12-Aug-22 12:18:38

I have been reading your posts and giggling when I wasn't being astonished by the rising prices.
I haven't a clue about prices. I am lucky to be a vegetarian because the price of meat is very high. I wish I was tee total.grin
I have lent the car to DS so will save on petrol.
Still haven't settled the loan for a new boiler. When the weather is so warm it is hard to imagine winter.

ethics in the same room as money now there is a concept Kaimoana!
I am so glad you remembered that debt was a whole lot worse than a bit of embarrassment and took the help.

I will move into the granny flat for the winter if the new boiler doesn't arrive. It's that or freeze to death.

Great having the family here although they have headed off to stay with DD in the beautiful Highlands. Last photo was of 2 DGC sharing a hammock, reading books with a view of the loch beyond.

However I have plenty to do here. I may go to a concert tonight if there are tickets left.
Tomorrow evening I'll be sitting with DMiL while her DC are out having some much deserved fun.

Are all those who were in the sick bay out now?
I hope so.

Doodle Fri 12-Aug-22 19:35:12

Kaimoana no shame should be felt glad your bill is paid.
Your price comparison is interesting. So is the fact that we seem to have run out of butter ?. Someone forgot to put it in the order. ? dry bread tomorrow.
Looking forward to hearing about your theatre trip.
Grammaretto hope you get your loan sorted soon. You need heating for the winter. We don’t want you freezing. At the moment I wish we had solar panels.
How lovely for your NZ grandson to spend time with his cousins. I hope you can get tickets for the concert although I hope it’s not as warm where you are as it is here. I’m melting.
DS and DGS came round this afternoon to show us DGSs new (first) car. He was so excited.
I am indulging in my favourite Magnum. A raspberry one, lovely ?

Grammaretto Fri 12-Aug-22 20:02:59

I decided to stay at home tonight. So nothing to report. Doodle I have baked a cake for the community café tomorrow and didn't burn it
We are not as hot as you are I meant the weather!! so am not flaking out too badly.
My DGS was asking about the little house halfway down the garden bank so today I managed to find the key and opened the door!
It is an intriguing place and was perhaps for the use of a gardener in years gone by. It is small but has a fireplace with a chimney and glazed windows. It is hard to access. We put a lock on the door because it was getting vandalised and I once found 2 lads, dead drunk and fast asleep beside a dangerous roaring fire. I called 999 on that occasion.
I am sorry you are enduring such high temps. Stay safe.

Doodle Fri 12-Aug-22 20:15:15

Ooh a little house in the garden that sound intriguing. Considering the proposed fuel costs this winter perhaps you might want to move in there. Sounds as though it could be cozy.
A successful cake that’s good. You’re getting used to the new oven. DH and I might like to come and lodge with you if this heat continues much longer. It’s just to hot to do anything. No breeze at all.
Hope you have a good weekend.

Kaimoana2 Sat 13-Aug-22 08:34:35

My virtual theatre experience:

so if anyone would like to be at the next one smile let me know.

Kaimoana2 Sat 13-Aug-22 08:35:14

Ooops that didn't work. I'll try again.

Kaimoana2 Sat 13-Aug-22 08:36:18

Part One grin
Due to Covid, most theatres have lost a lot of money and even gone out of business. Te Pou Maori Theatre decided to look in another direction and came up with a truly stunning virtual event, the first of many planned for the future.

This was a way of rendering a performance in a way that gave the audience an accurate theatrical experience and a sense of participation, rather than simply watching a video of a play.

When I booked, I was given an entry code unique to me which took me to a visual interpretation of the outside of the theatre itself.

In reality, Te Pou is set in a park which surrounds the Corban's Art Centre and this is what it looks like at night. (pic 1)

I moved inside to the foyer (pic 2) where I met friends and strangers and we talked about the performance and why Te Pou had decided to do this…and just general chat about our lives, as you do smile

We bought drinks from the bar and each time a customer clicked on the drinks it was added to their donation total to be paid later.

All Te Pou shows virtual or real are both price and koha – pay what you can and if you can't afford to pay anything, you're warmly welcomes anyway.

This performance was dedicated to buying chairs for the new auditorium.

Kaimoana2 Sat 13-Aug-22 08:38:03

Part Two:

I have a 69 cm monitor on my PC, so the foyer filled my vision and seemed almost as if I were really there.
Although in real life, that foyer is not complete yet, it is very like the old theatre used to be – but more up to date and an indication of what it will be like once finished.

Just as in actual life, we could move anywhere in the foyer, have little groups chatting at tables or at the bar, or we could wander about looking at various areas of the theatre itself.

It was possible to mute people or yourself or move away so their chatter didn't interfere with yours – the sound of their voices diminishing as one moved further away. All very clever.

The pre-show get-together lasted an hour but after only 30 mins it began to feel like being in the foyer of the actual theatre.

As more people arrived and were greeted, I wandered off to look in the Studio, where stills and videos of rehearsals and other activities were playing.
I remained there until an alert warning the show would begin in 1 minute then with one click, went into the auditorium, (pic 3) our avatars sliding smoothly across the screen to disappear through the door marked Theatre.

Fifty eight people attended the show from many parts of the world ( so if anyone would like to be at the next one smile let me know)
although. Once seated, the avatars changed to blank outlines only.

It's hard to explain how truly impressive this was. I felt as if I were at the birth of something wonderful which would become an international reality, not just for theatre but for any entertainment venue, conference or gathering.

I can see weddings, birthdays and even funerals being attended by family from anywhere in the world as this format gives a sense of involvement no video can capture.

During the play, we were able to digitally applaud, send laughing faces or even make comments on the dialogue in a side bar.
There are plans to incorporate a 3D facility which will add even more to the feeling of authenticity. I can't wait for the next performance. smile

Incidentally Te Pou means:
A stalwart, mentor, symbol of support, a person or group that strongly supports a cause.

Grammaretto I LOVE the idea of you little garden house, I'm sure the dgs will love to decorate and play in it.

Kaimoana2 Sat 13-Aug-22 08:40:50

Sorry, I made another mistake: here's the auditorium.

Kaimoana2 Sat 13-Aug-22 08:42:24

And today I went to the ballet. Once you've recovered from my deluge of posts, I come back and explain how that worked for blind people.

Grammaretto Sat 13-Aug-22 16:28:56

I knew a young woman who was a describer for the blind at theatre and ballet so I think I understand what you mean Kaimoana

It 's now baking hot so I feel for all those roasting in even hotter climes.
I am away in a minute to sit with DMiL while her DD is out for the evening.
DSiL wants me to bring her a pair of tights. Tights of all things.
In this heat.
Maybe it is a fancy dress party she is going to.
I found a pair in the back of a drawer with only 2 holes in them. I hope they will do.
How exciting to meet your DGS with his first car Doodle I presume he can drive it. grin

Doodle Sat 13-Aug-22 19:01:53

Kaimoana what a fascinating experience. I’m not sure I can completely understand it but the fact that you felt part of it and included is wonderful. I’m not really in to virtual reality. Not because I don’t want to be but because I don’t understand it really. It sounds an intriguing venture.
grammaretto I might not still be here by the time you read this I may have melted into the carpet. I don’t think I’ve ever felt so washed out and exhausted. I am not a great lover of sun or heat and at the moment I can’t cope with it. DH and I went to Sainsbugs today just to keep cool that’s how desperate we were. It must be ove 30 degrees here which may not be hot for some but with no wind or breeze it’s too much for me. Not much sleep last night we were too hot.
We are going to our sons tomorrow to sit in their garden in the shade. Hopefully cooler there.
No, DGS hasn’t passed his test yet. It keeps being postponed by the test centre. It’s been months now since he applied. I think his mum and dad were looking at doing something nice for him to lift his spirits.
Hope you have a good time with your DMIL. Fancy dress at her age. She’s certainly a character ?

Kaimoana2 Sun 14-Aug-22 03:47:01

Many people are pushed back for first driving tests Doodle Examiners say they often do this if the applicant is very young - gives the learner a few more weeks of practice and experience. Very much needed on today's busy roads.

Virtual reality is very different to my digital theatre event. It's something I'd love but will never achieve as it's very costly to set up. Actually, Phillip was going to let me have his old one when he upgraded but then he got sick.

Before we went into the ballet, we were able to watch the dancers rehearsing, touch and hold the costumes and props and, using those little wooden mannequins, learn about ballet poses.
All wonderfully interesting as was the show itself.

Cinderella marries Prince Charming's messenger (he who looks for the right foot) and Prince Charming marries Prince Dashing.

On the way out, I fell and now have massive bruising on my head and knee, possibly 2 broken ribs and a temporary (I hope) attack of vertigo.

Not a good situation for tomorrow when the dog assessment includes walking and bending. hmm
Doctor on Tuesday.

On a lighter note - I got to wear the Wicked Stepmother's glasses. grin and an Eligible Maiden sash. grin

BJ if you read this - hope all is well and CPO is coping.
Look at my right shoulder in this pic smile

BoadiceaJones Sun 14-Aug-22 05:17:05

A quick break from nursing duties to find DOZENS of new posts! Kaimoana !! what HAVE you been up to? How very exciting! Not the injuries though...I hope nothing is too serious, though sounds very painful. Good luck with everything.
MrJ is recovering slowly, and as yet no sign of covid, having been exposed for quite some time to a positive case. He's managing to walk a little further every day. Still thanking the universe that he's still here. A very quiet birthday/wedding anniversary yesterday, as you can imagine.
Spring is springing here, -so much to do after almost 4 weeks of being unable to garden and clean and prune and weed. Spraying needs doing, the figs need pruning, the kumara still growing fast, asparagus under metre of weeds, and expecting little shoots anytime soon. Oh well, weeds are just flowers in the wrong place, as I remember a certain wise lady on this forum saying, once...

BoadiceaJones Sun 14-Aug-22 05:24:12

Glenelg beach, Adelaide

Grammaretto Sun 14-Aug-22 09:40:57

What great photos BJ Glenelg is where the ferry leaves for Skye. What's it doing in Adelaide!
speed bonnie boat
I am so glad that your CPO is on the mend now.
What have you got on your shoulder Kaimoana? or is it a private joke.
I hope you haven't broken any bones in that fall. Such a shame after what looks like a great fun performance.
The tights were for my SiL not her mother Doodle That really would have been extreme. and in the papers
She went bare-legged in the end after I persuaded her that while skin is acceptable.
Sorry that your DGS is having to wait so long for his test but I agree it is good to get as much practice as possible unless you develop bad driving habits such as holding the steering wheel in one hand or never using the handbrake.
It is no longer hot here. I took a jacket last night for the late bus home and I needed it.
I have a family of 5 coming for a pottery lesson later today. They want to make a model of the Forth Bridgeshock

Mamissimo Sun 14-Aug-22 10:57:54

We stayed at the Glenelg Inn for a couple of nights this year as our base for seeing Skye. The ferry across is the last rotating chain ferry - the deck rotates to let you drive on and off.

I doddled off to find a photo and was reminded that I am a rubbish tourist! I get so wrapped up in looking and thinking that I forget to take the snap. My head is full of images though....wish you could see inside.....

Imagine if you could see the memories of other people.....?

Mr M has gone off on his sailing trip with enough gear to sink the titanic He was jolly excited! I am praying ? that he manages the physical aspects OK as sailing has been a huge passion in his life. He's raced and sailed all over the world and isn't growing old pragmatically at all.

H Beagle is sulking and Fergal Cat has brought me two presents....--that I could do without-- ?

Mamissimo Sun 14-Aug-22 11:03:10

Nice link to the Glenelg ...

hiddenscotland.co/listings/the-glenelg-ferry/

NfkDumpling Sun 14-Aug-22 14:59:47

That ferry looks intriguing. We went over from Mallaig and back across the bridge as we weren't sure how good the road was to glenelg with the campervan. We do try not to get stuck cause holdups too often! Having cancelled this years excursion we're hoping to book sites again for next year - several have said they'll hold our deposit for the same time (one day adrift!)

Jan16 Sun 14-Aug-22 18:42:08

Talking of Ferries this is the Reedham Ferry on the Norfolk Broads! Nfk will know it. It’s quite an experience. DH and I were driving down a country land a few years back when we arrived at the river! Out of a shed popped two cigarette smoking men who charged us £3.00 - I think - got us on the ferry and pulled us over to the other side of the river! Didn’t particularly want to go!

Grammaretto Sun 14-Aug-22 19:40:07

Ah some great ferries and great pictures. Years and years ago I met the Reedham ferry when I wasn't expecting it.
#@gettinglostinnorfolk
Another memorable boat ride was being rowed across to the Lake isle of Innisfree.

It has rained at last! Probably because I hung the washing out when I could see the thunderclouds. There's a small flood now.

Doodle Sun 14-Aug-22 20:33:31

Evening all. A little cooler at last. Ds was due to come over today but we went to theirs in the end as we could sit in the shade in the garden. Had a lovely afternoon.
Kaimoana there is a huge backlog of driving tests in the UK from lockdown times. DGS test was cancelled because the test centre closed down so he had to be shunted onto another area. People are waiting up to 6 months for a driving test.
Ooh I love the glasses. Very snazzy ?
Oh no ?. I’m so sorry you fell. What a sad end to a good night out. You must be in pain. I hope you get checked by the Doctor soon. Do hope it doesn’t affect your dog assessment.
Boadicea good news about MrBJ . He sounds as though he is feeling better and getting about a bit. Congratulations on the birthday/wedding anniversary. Hope you had a good day together. That’s a lovely picture of two young people having fun on a beautiful beach. Seems very quiet there.
Grammaretto I think the lovely shawl on Kaimoana’s shoulder is probably the one Boadicea sent her. Hence the comment. It is indeed very pretty.
Sorry I misunderstood about the tights but the way you describe your DMIL, she sounds game for anything. ?
Will a model of the Forth bridge be a bit like painting it……when you get to the end you have to start again.
Mammissimo not sure I’d like anyone seeing inside my head. I would need to censor everything first ?
Do hope MrM has a good time and returns home safely. Hope you are ok on your own with sulking Honey Beagle and Fergus for company.
Fascinating ferry. Not seen one quite like that before although I have been on a chain ferry across the river but it only took passengers.
Nfk hope things are going well with you and you are feeling a bit more relaxed. I expect any holiday excursions have been put on hold at the moment.
Jan that made me laugh. What did you do when you got to the other side? Turn round and come back again ?
How is the Covid situation going? Are you both feeling better?
DH has now tested negative on two consecutive days.

Jan16 Mon 15-Aug-22 20:13:46

Goodness Grammaretto when and why did you see the Reedham Ferry?! I bet you wandered down the same road as us! Doodle we just got off the Ferry on the other side of the river and eventually found our way back to our holiday cottage.
We are both testing negative for Covid now but I am so so tired and a bit low. Mind you the weather doesn’t help although it is a bit cooler this evening. Think we are going to miss the rain. Just had an amazing sunset. The sky was on fire.
Boudicea great news about your man. Fingers crossed he is soon back to normal.
Hope Mr M enjoys his sailing trip. Always looks incredibly hard work to me. Theo Cat loves bringing presents. Mostly very small mice. Horrible cat!

Doodle Mon 15-Aug-22 21:33:32

Jan I found I was very emotional with and just after Covid. I don’t like football and never watch it but was in floods of tears when the Lionesses won.
It has been just a little cooler here today. I made a cake for DILs birthday. Didn’t sleep well last night DH was up and about a bit because he couldn’t settle.
Bet Theo was so pleased to see you home after your cruise.
Hope all the gang are ok.
Kaimoana is it today you are having your doggy assessment?
Boadicea hope things are ok with you both.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion