Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Re-evaluating Dr John Campbell

(69 Posts)
Veridica Sat 04-Mar-23 19:19:54

Last week, during a discussion thread on Freedom of Speech on the News and Politics forum, I gained an impression that Dr John Campbell, who I had referred to for an informed view on Covid and the vaccines, was regularly treated with derision by many members. It was as if I had admitted to joining the Rick Astley fan club!

Since them I have done further research in case I got anything wrong and now have an even higher impression of the man but of course we are entitled to our own opinions. For better insight, look at the exceptional Amazon reviews of his physiology books by his peers, many of which go back over 10 years. Most are 5* and one of the most memorable for me was a glowing review from a US trauma surgeon.

Next, watch the long, personal interview with Neil Oliver on YouTube in which his passion and commitment really shine through.

His background on YouTube was one of following the initial Covid narrative, advising people to keep well according to official government guidelines. He always followed the available data. Then came the point when the data diverged from the politics and he came to different conclusions which some people couldn't accept. He is now exposing some shocking truths about the handling of the pandemic, lies and corruption in Big Pharma and the dangers of mRNA. All of this is based on official data, otherwise he would have been taken down.

Two nights ago, after the Cochrane Review concluded that the wearing of masks was pretty useless, he made a very profound apology for advising people to follow the guidelines. We now await apologies from mainstream media and public health bodies.....(?)

Everybody is entitled to their view on JC but I hope they first take a leaf out of his book by reviewing all the available evidence before passing judgement.

Namsnanny Sun 05-Mar-23 12:56:56

I couldn't comment on who posted what where or when, as I didnt read this.
But it does occur to me that many people will be re-evaluating their position on covid and the handling of it.
Given some of the current revelations.
Nudge theory, politicians disdain for the public, incompetence, personal financial gain and more were all at play.

With regards to your comments about being less judgemental......
I wouldnt hold your breath😁
People generally don't like to be found wrong.

Grandmabatty Sun 05-Mar-23 13:08:10

Neil Oliver is so far down the rabbit hole, he's landed in Australia. He lives close to my son and no-one has a good word to say about him. Amazon reviews are often fake and written by friends of the author.

Blossoming Sun 05-Mar-23 13:21:07

Your opening paragraph is not the win you think it is. Rick Astley has an amazing powerful voice, has played Glastonbury and has appeared on stage with many artists, including the Foo Fighters.

Dr. John Campbell is a swivel eyed conspiracy theorist.

Namsnanny Sun 05-Mar-23 13:22:57

🤣sorry GMBatty but you've kinda proved veridica point.

Blossoming Sun 05-Mar-23 13:23:45

Grandmabatty I worry about Neil Oliver’s mental health, he’s changed so much over the past 3 years.

Namsnanny Sun 05-Mar-23 13:24:18

This is turning out to be interesting.

Callistemon21 Sun 05-Mar-23 14:14:38

Blossoming

Grandmabatty I worry about Neil Oliver’s mental health, he’s changed so much over the past 3 years.

Reading Grandmabatty's post about him going through the Earth to Australia reminded me of the programme he made about Coast Australia.
I'd like to re-watch it.

He seemed quite different in those days.

Callistemon21 Sun 05-Mar-23 14:15:01

Sorry, I digressed.

Namsnanny Sun 05-Mar-23 14:30:21

Dont worry Callistemon it's a welcome diversion.
I used to love travelogues.

Veridica Sun 05-Mar-23 15:42:09

Blossoming

Your opening paragraph is not the win you think it is. Rick Astley has an amazing powerful voice, has played Glastonbury and has appeared on stage with many artists, including the Foo Fighters.

Dr. John Campbell is a swivel eyed conspiracy theorist.

With all due respect to Rick, I was referring to the "narrative" which existed for a while that he was pretty naff and therefore so were his fans. He has developed a lot since the 80´s within the music business he has proved a lot of people wrong! I have nothing but respect for people who prove the critics wrong, which is where I am with JC. The term'"Conspiracy Theorist" gained widespread use after the JFK assassination although it originated earlier. It was used by official sources (CIA but we'll probably never know the truth) to discredit anyone who challenged the narrative. It became a convenient retort during Covid to discredit anyone who had enough brain cells to qualify as a critical thinker. If you want to challenge JC please do the same research as I did. Otherwise people will think you just don't want to face up to the truth. Two weeks ago the lab leak was pretty much confirmed. Now it's the masks. I guess the next steps will to publish accurate data on the unreliability of PCR tests and the long-awaited cost/benefit analysis of the lockdowns. By the time the effects of the so-called vaccines hit mainstream media, people will be baying for blood.

If you want to get on trend, accept that the conspiracy theories were actually spoiler alerts.

Grandmabatty Sun 05-Mar-23 15:44:50

Namsnanny you think I prove the OP correct? In a good old Scots phrase, Aye, right! 😂

Callistemon21 Sun 05-Mar-23 16:06:12

Ah, Rick Astley, DD always loved him.
I remember hearing Rick's voice wafting downstairs from her room (on vinyl, I should hasten to add!).

Namsnanny Sun 05-Mar-23 20:20:11

Grandmabatty

Neil Oliver is so far down the rabbit hole, he's landed in Australia. He lives close to my son and no-one has a good word to say about him. Amazon reviews are often fake and written by friends of the author.

I dont think I've ever thought of checking out Amazon reviews to help me decide on the veracity of a subject.

While I'm always happy to discuss any subject with friends family or neighbours, I would need more than their endorsement to confirm my opinion.

I find I'm interested in what a person says, more than what others say about them.

Dr John Campbell is a swivel eyed conspiracy theorist

Blossoming

Apparently we resort to character assassination when we are afraid to confront a subject.
Confronting the fact our gov. may not have our best interests at heart is frightening, I'll give you that.

MayBee70 Sun 05-Mar-23 21:37:40

I have re evaluated Dr John Campbell. I followed all of his advice from January 2020. He advised me to wear masks. He advised me to have the vaccine. He is now anti vaccine and says he was wrong to advise me to wear masks. So how do I know that his current advice to catch covid because it boosts your immunity to it is good advice if he was wrong about the other advice he gave me. I can’t help but wonder if the OP only became a follower of Dr Campbell when he became an anti vacc’er? I no longer follow his advice.

Daisymae Sun 05-Mar-23 21:53:53

I've been following John Campbell on and off since early 2020. He has changed his stance and I think that he's following evidence. He's quite entitled to change his mind, if the narrative changes. It would be foolish to do otherwise. I don't know where this is leading but everyone has a responsibility to question what we are told.

Callistemon21 Sun 05-Mar-23 22:12:46

Daisymae

I've been following John Campbell on and off since early 2020. He has changed his stance and I think that he's following evidence. He's quite entitled to change his mind, if the narrative changes. It would be foolish to do otherwise. I don't know where this is leading but everyone has a responsibility to question what we are told.

everyone has a responsibility to question what we are told.
Interesting.

People were vilified by some on GN if they questioned the official evidence-based advice.

LadyHonoriaDedlock Sun 05-Mar-23 22:16:51

Cite some of Dr Campbell's peer-reviewed papers in reputable journals and I might consider giving him the time of day, even if that's ten minutes before bedtime.

Otherwise a YouTube interview with Neil Oliver, a known subscriber to antisemitic and "New World Order" conspiracy theories who has no medical qualifications, on a minority media channel with an openly-declared populist agenda, doesn't suggest that he should be given any more weight than any other charlatan huffing and puffing on far-right websites.

When I want to review the available research I'll turn to the serious medical and scientific journals.

MayBee70 Mon 06-Mar-23 00:27:26

He also told people what dose of Ivermectin to take in one of his blogs even though he only advocated its use in a nudge nudge wink wink sort of way. But I chose to ignore how unethical it was because I’d come to depend on him.

FannyCornforth Mon 06-Mar-23 04:42:21

Rick Astley has always been a talented singer songwriter.
It was just that there was far more competition in the 80s.
Astley would probably be regarded in the same overblown way as Ed Sheeran if he’d been around now instead of then.
I don’t recall him ever being regarded as ‘naff’, popular yes, but not a target of ridicule like some of Stock Aitken Waterman alumnus

Namsnanny Mon 06-Mar-23 12:08:37

Is there a sub text with regards to Rick Astley that someone can put me straight on?😄

FannyCornforth Mon 06-Mar-23 12:12:28

‘Gransnet as it’s best’ as is regularly said Nams grin

LadyHonoriaDedlock Mon 06-Mar-23 14:36:00

Namsnanny

Is there a sub text with regards to Rick Astley that someone can put me straight on?😄

I think the thing with Rick Astley was that in appearance he fell short of Rock God and when he moved on stage he was a bit ginger-haired nerd at the school disco, but when he opened his mouth to sing he had an incredible bluesy voice.

eazybee Mon 06-Mar-23 14:49:25

Truthful?
mmm.

MayBee70 Mon 06-Mar-23 15:50:33

I’ve just remembered that I heard a Rick Astley song a year or so ago and was amazed at how brilliant it was. I wish I’d made a note of the song. He isn’t someone whose albums I would have bought back in the day.