Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Reaction to vaccine

(28 Posts)
nanna8 Thu 26-Oct-23 10:41:25

I have just had my 6th Covid vaccine ( only because we are going on a cruise in a couple of weeks ) and this time I have had a nasty reaction to it. Extreme fatigue, aches and pains and a sore arm. My husband is the same. Neither of us has ever reacted much before to the vaccines so I was just wondering if they are different now ? It was a Moderna spikevax bivalent. Any one else had this happen ?

ExDancer Thu 26-Oct-23 10:52:56

I've had every booster on offer, and they've all been pfyzer apart from this last one which was moderna.
I had a similar (but milder I think) reaction to this last one whereas the other, Pfizer, ones just gave me a sore arm.
Someone told me the stronger the reaction, the stronger the protection.

??????????????????????

maddyone Thu 26-Oct-23 11:04:42

I had the Pfizer vaccine about four weeks ago and as well as a very sore arm, I had a reaction that made me feel quite ill for a day. I felt as if I had flu, but it only lasted a day. I’ve never had a reaction to any other Covid vaccine before apart from a sore arm, and they were all Pfizer too. Anyway I was in direct contact with someone who had Covid recently and I didn’t get it, although I tested every day for a week, so the vaccine stood up for me.

Juliet27 Thu 26-Oct-23 11:11:27

I had both Covid (Pfizer) and flu jabs last week but as I had only returned from Australia a few days before, the fatigue I felt was probably down to jetlag. No other symptom, not even sore arm.

Jaxjacky Thu 26-Oct-23 11:14:09

No problems with either of us, same covid vaccine and flu, there are a lot of Autumn bugs around too.

Elusivebutterfly Thu 26-Oct-23 11:19:07

I had the Pfizer vaccine yesterday and so far have my usual reaction of a sore, dead arm. It hurts if I try to raise it. It's weird as other vaccines, such as the flu I had last week, make my arm a bit sore but not as much and no dead arm or difficulty with movement. Do others have the same thing?

grannysyb Thu 26-Oct-23 12:02:41

I've now had eight covid jabs,all Pfizer bar one, which was Moderna. That was the one where I had a reaction, really shattered slept for two days , then absolutely fine.

Marydoll Thu 26-Oct-23 12:07:49

I had my eighth, the latest Spikevax on Saturday and had headache, aches, pains, shivers and an upset stomach for two days. It's a small price to pay.

Bella23 Thu 26-Oct-23 12:10:05

Elusivebutterfly

I had the Pfizer vaccine yesterday and so far have my usual reaction of a sore, dead arm. It hurts if I try to raise it. It's weird as other vaccines, such as the flu I had last week, make my arm a bit sore but not as much and no dead arm or difficulty with movement. Do others have the same thing?

My DH and I had the same reaction with our arms,also migraine-like headaches,sweats in the night and I felt off colour for quite a few days. We had the flu at the same time and that arm was sore but nothing like the Phizer Covid not being able to raise our arm was perculiar.

AGAA4 Thu 16-Nov-23 19:58:47

I had the Spikevax a few weeks ago and was exhausted for a few days afterwards. It passes and I'm glad I have some immunity now.

Esmay Thu 16-Nov-23 20:52:50

My friend and I are the same age with similar health problems .

We both had a violent reaction to our last anti covid jab :
She had classic flu type reactions and went to bed .

I had indigestion , nausea , vomiting and diarrhoea with stomach cramps .

It's passed off , but took both of us by surprise .

A couple of weeks on and neither of us feel well again .
We both have chest infections .

Rosalyn69 Thu 16-Nov-23 22:42:15

Big red itchy blotch at injection site. According to google it’s called “Covid arm”. Very unpleasant. Also felt under the weather for a couple of days. Not sure I will have any more.

Grandma70s Thu 16-Nov-23 23:10:55

I too had a bad reaction to my latest Covid jab, and I have never had any reaction before. I’m not sure how many I’ve had, but I’ve had all that I was offered.

The aching arm lasted for four days, and I had headaches and generally felt ill for at least 24 hours, probably longer. I was shocked!

Maggiemaybe Thu 16-Nov-23 23:26:29

I had a reaction to the Spikevax last year and had to have a day in bed with flu like symptoms, after which I was fine. We had the Pfizer booster a few weeks ago, and I had about an hour of uncontrollable shivering when I went to bed that night, which was a bit scary. I was right as rain after a night’s sleep.

DH, as ever, had no symptoms at all.

BlueBelle Fri 17-Nov-23 06:23:10

Had my flu and 6 th Covid injections together two weeks ago No reactions at all no idea what type it was as they were no longer giving cards out at the GP s and I didn’t think to ask

Ashcombe Fri 17-Nov-23 06:43:20

BlueBelle: If you have the NHS App on your phone, it should have a record of your Covid vaccinations with dates and types used.

CoolCoco Fri 17-Nov-23 06:48:31

Have had a painful arm for 8WEEKS! after the flu jab in left arm - covid jab in right arm at same time no problems. Dr said it was probably muscle damage and would heal in a few weeks! It’s better now but still aches when I raise my left arm.

NotSpaghetti Fri 17-Nov-23 08:50:06

I have been quite interested with all my vaccines.

In bed for 2 days or longer. Both Pfizer and Moderna. I just seem to react badly whichever it is. 🙄

luluaugust Fri 17-Nov-23 09:29:04

I had the over 75's jab and flu together and felt really ill this time, flu symptoms and upset stomach. I certainly won't be having both together again, however, convenient it is.

GrannySomerset Fri 17-Nov-23 09:34:55

I had the over 75 vaccine and felt dreadful for three days despite no reaction to any of the previous doses. Comforted myself with thinking that if my reaction was this strong I would have been more ill with Covid.

MiniMoon Fri 17-Nov-23 09:37:17

Husband and I had the Moderna covid booster. I had a headache the following 2 days, but husband had an upset stomach and diahorrea. We both had a sore arm, mine was better in about 3 days as I did arm exercises which helped.

maddyone Fri 17-Nov-23 09:50:02

I didn’t know there is an over 75s Covid vaccine.
I know there’s an over 65 flu vaccine.
I assume that’s what I got as the flu vaccine.
I was just told I had the Pfizer Covid vaccine.

OldFrill Fri 17-Nov-23 16:21:22

maddyone

I didn’t know there is an over 75s Covid vaccine.
I know there’s an over 65 flu vaccine.
I assume that’s what I got as the flu vaccine.
I was just told I had the Pfizer Covid vaccine.

I believe the over 75s were offered a Spring booster this year. It's the same vaccine offered to anyone else eligible

aggie Fri 17-Nov-23 16:30:36

I had my flu a covid jabs , no reaction , no sore arm ! Began to wonder if I had had them at all !

maddyone Fri 17-Nov-23 16:41:44

Oh yes, that’ll be it, thanks OldFrill.