Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Covid going forward

(101 Posts)
fancythat Fri 08-Dec-23 09:46:32

One of my younger Grandchildren is already on her 2nd lot of Covid.

I havent been paying much attention to Covid lately.
Is this what we must all expect going forward? Decades or longer, of Covid likely to strike at least once a year, for some people?

Theexwife Fri 08-Dec-23 10:46:10

The Covid virus is spread via respiratory droplets when someone talks, sneezes, or coughs the same way as the common cold virus so can be caught as often as one would catch a cold.

nanna8 Fri 08-Dec-23 10:50:59

I’ve just had my second dose ( even after 6 vaccinations) Some of my friends have had it 3 or 4 times. It seems to be everywhere now.

fancythat Fri 08-Dec-23 20:43:18

Hope people dont get it 4 times a year like a cold.

Yes, everywhere.

I can hardly believe there is a new virus worldwide, for decades or centuries, all because of what may have gone on in a lab, in we all know where. Once, in 2019.

BlueBelle Fri 08-Dec-23 21:14:14

I ve had it twice my children have all had it twice some of the grandchildren 3 or 4 times
Yes I think it will be the new flu each year
The lab is just theories no one knows

boheminan Fri 08-Dec-23 21:15:17

Am into day 5 of recovering from my first bout of Covid. It's supposed to be a weaker strain (no coughing or bad lungs for me, but it's still awful)

growstuff Fri 08-Dec-23 21:21:51

To my knowledge, I still haven't had Covid. I'm not sure whether to consider myself lucky or whether I should be dreading the inevitable.

rosie1959 Fri 08-Dec-23 21:41:49

Presume it will continue to circulate like many other viruses. Pot luck if you catch it I have got to the grand age of 65 without ever having flu and I very rarely have a cold but have caught covid twice. I only picked up that I had Covid as I happened to test I was not unwell. So many could have caught the virus without actually knowing.

MerylStreep Fri 08-Dec-23 21:58:32

fancythat

Yes, everywhere.

I can hardly believe there is a new virus worldwide, for decades or centuries, all because of what may have gone on in a lab, in we all know where. Once, in 2019.

It’s been with us now for over 4 years. Time to get used to the idea that it’s going to be with us for a long time.

cornergran Fri 08-Dec-23 22:01:34

Mr C and I acquired covid three weeks ago. We’ve been proper poorly, fortunate to be able to be at home for which we thank the vaccinations. I was clear test-wise after a week although still coughing and exhausted. Mr C finally tested negative today, he’s fine now. The family have all had it at least twice, guess we’ve been lucky.

ElaineI Fri 08-Dec-23 22:45:43

Had it twice, had all the vaccines. Felt like bad flu but lasted for a shorter time the second dose. Not testing anymore as rules are difficult eg advised not to test children at all and businesses not giving specific time off sick if you have it - even NHS. DD2 had to sit in empty office in hospital while bosses flapped about as they didn't know what to do. She was sent home (on the bus) eventually and had to stay off as before till 2 negative results and at first said she would have to include as sick leave then found out she wouldn't as per pandemic. Next time we won't test. She caught it from us probably.

fancythat Sat 09-Dec-23 07:15:52

MerylStreep

fancythat

Yes, everywhere.

It’s been with us now for over 4 years. Time to get used to the idea that it’s going to be with us for a long time.

There is actually more to the story but dont want to say.
If someone else in the household gets it, there could be trouble.

No, I am not really used to it.

I dont think some othes are too.

For instance, a tradesman needed to go into where they live. Well two. It was an emergency type situation.
Even then, one of the trademen was all for turning around and leaving. Thankfully he didnt.

People dont want covid. I dont blame them.

fancythat Sat 09-Dec-23 07:20:01

ElaineI Yes, different organisations, and different people for that matter, all act differently about the subject, when they actually come face to face with it.

fancythat Sat 09-Dec-23 07:25:06

I find covid strange.
growstuff may never have had it. I imagine there is a reason for that.
I have had covid once, near beginning. Got long covid for 6 months. Dh never got it that time.
He had it about 18 months later. I didnt catch it from him.
I was feeling stronger the 2nd time. Whereas the first time, I was almost run down when I got it.

Both of us caught it when we were miles away from where we live[separate locations].

Those are the only theories I have.

Sago Sat 09-Dec-23 07:42:01

I have never knowingly had covid.
I had three vaccinations but only so I could fly to see my son who lives overseas if there was an emergency.
I will not have any more vaccinations for COVID, I have always thought they lowered immunity, a recent article in the Lancet supports this theory.

fancythat Sat 09-Dec-23 07:45:29

Interesting.

I have never had any.
Caught covid pre vaccinations being ready.
Thought, well I have survived.

fancythat Sat 09-Dec-23 07:47:25

Do you mean lowered immunity to covid, or lowered immunity in general?
I will look up that article, Never read about that before.

Sago Sat 09-Dec-23 09:50:34

fancythat

Do you mean lowered immunity to covid, or lowered immunity in general?
I will look up that article, Never read about that before.

There are a number of articles, here’s a link to one;

www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwja8ZDliYKDAxUDQUEAHSsGDHwQFnoECA4QAw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov%2Fpmc%2Farticles%2FPMC9167431%2F%23%3A~%3Atext%3DRecently%252C%2520The%2520Lancet%2520published%2520a%2Cthat%2520among%2520the%2520unvaccinated%2520individuals.&usg=AOvVaw15_4McOXHeBDN9Vpy1eX99&opi=89978449

maddyone Sat 09-Dec-23 10:01:32

growstuff

To my knowledge, I still haven't had Covid. I'm not sure whether to consider myself lucky or whether I should be dreading the inevitable.

You’re lucky growstuff. Keep on getting your vaccinations and stay safe.

yogitree Sat 09-Dec-23 10:02:12

fancythat

One of my younger Grandchildren is already on her 2nd lot of Covid.

I havent been paying much attention to Covid lately.
Is this what we must all expect going forward? Decades or longer, of Covid likely to strike at least once a year, for some people?

My son is on his 3rd time with a bad fever and cough. I have a few friends who have it also and have heard of lots of others who are suffering with it.

halfpint1 Sat 09-Dec-23 10:15:28

Same here, only had vaccinations for flying for family. I have used 'thieves oil' for a few years and continue to do so
No more vaccines for me

halfpint1 Sat 09-Dec-23 10:16:37

Sorry that was agreeing with Sago

Cadenza123 Sat 09-Dec-23 10:34:47

That's a very interesting article. I've not had a booster this year. I do think that it's a good idea to do your own research.

Cadenza123 Sat 09-Dec-23 10:38:07

I have a relative who had COVID in year 2, shrugged it off after a couple of days and has stayed clear since. They refused the vaccine. At the time I thought that they were irresponsible, but I'm having doubts now.

Marydoll Sat 09-Dec-23 10:49:40

I will not have any more vaccinations for COVID, I have always thought they lowered immunity, a recent article in the Lancet supports this theory.

If that is the case, why I am I as someoneone, who is immunocompromised being constantly asked if my vaccinations are up to date?