Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Poetry ...love it or hate it?

(162 Posts)
Jacey Tue 01-Nov-11 21:23:10

Came across one of my favourite poems today ...seemed the right day to share it ...

No sun - No moon
No morn - No noon
No dawn- No dusk -No proper time of day
No sky- No earthly view
No distance looking blue
No warmth- No cheerfulness- No healthful ease
No comfortable feel in any member
No shade-No shine-No butterflies - No bees
No fruits - No flowers - No leaves - No birds
No-vember

Thomas Hood "No" 1844

I just wondered if any one else would like to share a poem that brings them pleasure? smile

Butternut Thu 14-Jun-12 15:46:23

Yes, jing I agree with your feelings around the privacy and sensitivity of it all. Personally, I'm with you on that. It's just that if someone feels the need to make it public, and finds it helps, then it's important that they can. Many people feel the need to have their stories heard - but perhaps an open forum may not be the right place for such deeply held emotions.
I remember be told once during my training, that in the telling of a life trauma, for instance, one must always be aware of how it is going to be received.

crimson Thu 14-Jun-12 16:21:26

But sometimes the internet is the best place for an outpouring of grief, because you know no one 'has' to read it if they don't want to, and the kindness of strangers is very real and comforting. In 'the real world' I find that,even though I'm probably one of the least tactile people ever born, a hug is worth a thousand words. So, if anyone has had a torrid time, that's what they get.

Anagram Thu 14-Jun-12 16:43:12

Sadly, though, reaction to personal stories/poetry etc. on some internet sites or forums is not always kind...
I would think a negative response to one's outpourings would be a terrible kick in the teeth.

crimson Thu 14-Jun-12 16:51:00

I guess you need to know your forum. Someone on another forum I frequent has had a bereavement recently, and the support from people has been wonderful, and this is a mostly men one.

j04 Thu 14-Jun-12 17:01:32

Why outpour them then?

Sorry but to me it smacks of insincerity.

Anagram Thu 14-Jun-12 17:21:43

I'm not advocating any outpourings - just pointing out the drawbacks of posting them online, as crimson thinks the internet is the best place to do it. confused

j04 Thu 14-Jun-12 17:24:41

Didn't say you were advocating anything. hmm

I'm only on here cos I don't want to do the ironing. [grump]

nelliedeane Thu 14-Jun-12 18:46:48

Lydia the poem about the loss of a child,speaking as one who has experienced this twice....it is spot on.

Humbertbear Thu 14-Jun-12 20:33:14

I like a range of poetry especially the War Poets but I love this one. The title says it all.

Not waving but drowning by Stevie Smith

Nobody heard him, the dead man,   
But still he lay moaning:
I was much further out than you thought   
And not waving but drowning.

Poor chap, he always loved larking
And now he’s dead
It must have been too cold for him his heart gave way,   
They said.

Oh, no no no, it was too cold always   
(Still the dead one lay moaning)   
I was much too far out all my life   
And not waving but drowning.

Ariadne Thu 14-Jun-12 21:37:37

To lower the tone completely - just remembered another Wendy Cope poem, an early one:

"It really wouldn't do to let him stay,
Not for the first time,
Not today.
But she put on her new black knickers anyway."

nanaej Thu 14-Jun-12 22:32:33

I like Wendy Cope.. she once ran a seminar at training weekend I was on and she set us a task of writing a poem whilst we were in the sauna /steam room to share at the following days session!