Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Memorable TV Plays

(57 Posts)
Eloethan Fri 22-Feb-13 00:48:49

There is still some good drama on TV but there isn't anything like Play for Today any longer. Are there any plays that you saw that have stuck in your mind? I saw Cathy Come Home when I was, I think, in my early teens and it made a big impression. Also a play called "The Year of the Sex Olympics". It conjured up a very dystopian future where everybody just sat watching TV and enjoying the suffering of others - was it a precursor to shows like "I'm a Celebrity, Get me out of here" do you think?

Eloethan Tue 05-Mar-13 00:42:19

I loved Blue Remembered Hills. The title alone is fabulous - someone told me it came from a famous poem, can't remember what.

Joan Tue 05-Mar-13 05:44:13

Just watched the 1995 version of Sense and Sensibility. Great actors, including Alan Rickman - I love anything with him in it, whether as Professor Snape in Harry Potter, or Hans in Die Hard....

Does anyone remember 'Fear eats the Soul'? It is a German production about an older woman, a cleaner, who becomes the lover of a handsome young Turkish guest worker. She is not the typical older woman of such productions - she was no Helen Mirren. She was a dumpy plain German Hausfrau type. It worked really well though. I saw a subtitled version years ago, then I found it was part of the film curriculum on my German uni course.

I like Willie Russell plays, such as Shirley Valentine and Educating Rita. I love 'Rita' so much, that we did an extract from it in our U3A performance group. I was Rita smile What a laugh - a 67 year old Rita. Fun though.

Eloethan Tue 05-Mar-13 14:11:25

Do you remember Willie Russell's "Our Day Out" - I think it was Willie Russell?

I also remember many years ago seeing "Mrs Palfrey at the Claremont" on the TV and though I can't really remember it, I do remember enjoying it.

How original to have an older "Rita" - I can see that it would still work since the issues raised are not essentially age-related (though I expect some sort of "tweeking" had to be done?)

Mamie Tue 05-Mar-13 15:10:22

Another Mike Leigh play with Alison Steadman, the amazing Nuts in May. I had great difficulty taking groups from the Dorset school I taught at on trips to Purbeck for ages afterwards, because all I could hear was Candice Marie.
I am not going to start singing "We're going to the zoo she said", I am not....

Mamie Tue 05-Mar-13 15:20:30

Also, The Race for the Double Helix, about Watson, Crick, Rosalind Franklin and the discovery of the structure of DNA.

Eloethan Tue 05-Mar-13 20:38:10

Loved "Nuts in May". Also, about 30 yrs ago, there was a Mike Leigh play on TV called "Grown ups", which I thought was hilarious. Never seen it since or heard it mentioned.