Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

New Gransnet Movement – "Old Pride"

(200 Posts)
Bags Fri 26-Apr-13 09:27:02

Zengran and I are starting a Proud to be Old club for gransnetters. We are sick of the 'culture' of youth worship in our society and people trying to disguise their age all the time (always downwards once they're out of their twenties).

Join here!

Old Pride Rocks!

sunshine

kittylester Fri 26-Apr-13 10:54:24

Count me in! I think getting older is fun> As Bags says, one can learn lots of things although I haven't mastered the nosebleed,cake eating, drinking coffee thingy yet - never will as I can't stand coffee grin

gm, I think it's important to be able to laugh at ourselves and quite aging not to. Surely to laugh at getting older is a sign of embracing it or at least laughing in the face of it - maybe saying 'f* off old age'? grin

There was a woman on the news yesterday talking about having had facial fillers which went wrong. She commented that 'Obviously, nowadays, every one is concerned about not looking old.................'

MrsJamJam Fri 26-Apr-13 10:57:10

Jenny Murray is my age, and I do think she demonstrates some unfortunate ageist attitudes on WH. Is it the pressure of the BBC?

Elegran Fri 26-Apr-13 11:00:40

Honor Blackman has been interviewed for the GN local Kingston-upon Thames page. She would make a good poster girl.

Also - all carry this over to your local page and your local site's Facebook page, all the more exposure. (shamelessly plugs http://local.gransnet.com/edinburgh and http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gransnet-Edinburgh/548066708538769?fref=ts )

Scots grans, go to the Gransnet Edinburgh Twitter page (@GNEdinburgh) and look at who they follow and who follows them and tweet to GNE. GNE will follow the Old Pride when it is set up. For other areas do the same. This is a campaign that will be good on those pages - in both directions.

Flowerofthewest Fri 26-Apr-13 11:07:09

me too please, count me in I am so proud to be Old.Take a look at the Gudren Sjodrun models one or two of them are beautifully lined and still fantastic looking.

sunseeker Fri 26-Apr-13 11:09:05

I am in too! I don't want to look and dress like a 20 year old but neither am I ready for comfy slippers and dressing gown. Perhaps one of the first campaigns could be for clothes which are well made, fit properly and flatter the older woman.

kittylester Fri 26-Apr-13 11:12:47

Hear, hear, sunseeker, though I do quite like my dressing gown and comfy slippers too. smile

glassortwo Fri 26-Apr-13 11:18:46

Count me in.

Elegran Fri 26-Apr-13 11:18:51

Have just searched on Facebook and there is no other Old Pride page (except for what looks like a band - will look at that later)

Who is setting up this website/facebook page/twitter ?

Lots of enthusiasm to join, but is anyone doing any practical things?

Notso Fri 26-Apr-13 11:35:23

I'm happy to set up the Twitter account Elegran. Just waiting for ideas for profile info & an avatar picture.

Galen Fri 26-Apr-13 11:41:20

I'm old! I'm proud! I'm proud to be old!
Count me in!

janeainsworth Fri 26-Apr-13 11:43:37

Bags It's alright for you, you look about 17.
I feel better if I dye my hair and put eyeliner on before I go out.grin
Am I allowed to join? I wouldn't do facial rejuvenatiuon, I promisewink

sunseeker Fri 26-Apr-13 11:46:20

jane I don't dye my hair but I do use make-up - to me thats the same as taking a shower - part of my daily routine!

I'm not on Twitter or Facebook so can't help there.

Notso Fri 26-Apr-13 11:49:58

jane I'll see your hair dye and raise you my eye gel smile

kittylester Fri 26-Apr-13 11:53:19

I would scare the local population if I didn't do something about my mousy hair, enormous eyebags and pallid complexion but it was ever thus not just as I've got older.

Flowerofthewest Fri 26-Apr-13 11:58:25

I do highlight my hair but have done since the 70s. wouldn't recognise myself now if I didn't. I am an ageing Rock chick and still go to gigs, run to the front and am on the phone from early hours trying to get the best front row tickets and follow my band up and down the country when on tour.

Anti wrinkle cream doesn't work, I wear foundation and mascara, a bit of lippy.

I also love my sofa (have my own nest - another sign of old age apparently) I love my hot water bottle, warm socks and comfy shoes.

Bez Fri 26-Apr-13 11:58:33

Count me in and maybe I will get to understand Twitter!!

Greatnan Fri 26-Apr-13 11:59:32

Bags - you are sailing under false colours! You are no more than a bonny girl , not much older than my daughters, I think. Mind you, with your bone structure you will still be lovely when you are 90. I would be envious if I cared about my appearance!

mrshat Fri 26-Apr-13 12:03:09

I'm in too but I don't twitter! Also, I use makeup but I am going grey gracefully!

Notso Fri 26-Apr-13 12:05:28

Twitter profile slogan....how about....

We're coming out of the airing cupboard, we're old and proud of it!

I have a weird sense of humour.....other ideas?

Nelliemoser Fri 26-Apr-13 12:15:03

Bags Great stuff! Me too I cant be bothered to dye my hair. I don't often wear make up I am very suspicious of face fillers etc Botox etc.

We have had threads about some of those dreadful looking botoxed face lifted woman, with wrinkly necks before. Be proud of how we are.

grannylin
Whats wrong with tea dances? Not my cup of tea but if you enjoy them and remember them the first time around you are probably in your eighties. If you can still get out and dance in your eighties very good luck to you.

As for an elegantly dressed older woman, I really admire June Whitfield. she is now 87. She is not obviously botoxed or face lifted and usually looks smart and attractive.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-21207334

Elegran Fri 26-Apr-13 12:18:02

That sounds good to me, Notso as a slogan.

janeainsworth Fri 26-Apr-13 12:20:08

Grannylin please don't knock tea dances!
We belong to a dance club in a mining village Northumberland and most of the members are older than us - in their 70's and 80's. There is one particular gentleman in his eighties who is a pleasure to watch as he moves so gracefully - especially when he jives grin
Though I must confess we go in the evening and drink beer, not tea.
However, dancing of any sort is a great way to keep fit and active and it's very sociable toosmile

Bags Fri 26-Apr-13 12:37:56

I guess I can do a FB page. Will there need to be more "Admins" though, or whatever it is that enables more people to post stuff? Likewise with Twitter – I don't know anything about group accounts on Twitter. <"Go and find out then; don't be such a cricket bat", says the inner Bags>

Keep posting ideas for the profiles of both!

Butty Fri 26-Apr-13 12:44:23

YES! Count me in.

I like the simplicity of 'Old Pride' as a logo - busy now thinking about FB design. hmm

I don't think it's about hair colour or make up or the clothes that are worn, but about honouring, yes having 'pride', in being old and showing society that being old is a good, strong and worthwhile place to be.

janthea Fri 26-Apr-13 12:44:45

How about 'Old and Bold! Beware of Oldies!'