Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Pop Songs - which ones stir your emotions?

(91 Posts)
Eloethan Mon 13-May-13 23:48:14

Sad: Fast Car (Tracy Chapman); Vincent (Don Maclean); Easy Terms (Barbara Dickson); Cat's in the Cradle (Harry Chapin)

Happy: Mr Blue Sky (ELO) Summer Breeze (Isley Brothers) Something in the Air (Thundercap Newman)

vonmichael Sat 08-Jun-13 15:26:05

Send me the pillow that you dream on by Dean Martin is one of my favourites.

celebgran Thu 23-May-13 11:50:35

Oh yes maniac John Denver was love.y and Annie's song s very special to me.

Maniac Thu 23-May-13 10:23:49

John Denver -specially 'Annie's Song'.
I saw him perform in Cardiff shortly before he died.Audience mainly over 50s

nanaseaside Wed 22-May-13 18:00:08

Oh do give it a go seasider! I was on last New Year's Eve (my birthday). I really enjoyed it and Ken was so nice. I do believe he packed and posted the mp3 player especially for me. I still play along at home and do OK, as long as there aren't too many post 1986 questions...

celebgran Tue 21-May-13 18:33:29

Michael Jackson one day in your life he died tragically year my daughter cut me out and it makes me cry the lyrics
One day in your life you'll remember the love we used to share
I hope she does!
Also Adele someone like you
Hate to turn up out of the blue uninvited but wanted to see your face to let you know for me it is nt over!

Also like buddy holly it does nt matter anymore bit more upbeat!

seasider Mon 20-May-13 23:35:33

Nanaseaside. I love listening to Popmaster when I get chance but never brave enough to ring in. When were you on? I love Motown too as it was my growing up music! smile

feetlebaum Mon 20-May-13 12:22:06

To be honest, Ella46, the way she developed that performance the original song was a bit buried!

Sit there and count your fingers
What can you do? Old girl, you're through
Sit there and count your little fingers
Unlucky little girl blue

Sit there and count the raindrops falling on you
It's time you knew
All you can count on is the raindrops
That fall on little girl blue

No use, old girl, you may as well surrender
Your hope is getting slender
Why won't somebody send a tender blue boy
To cheer little girl blue?

Rodgers & Hart, 1935

Ella46 Mon 20-May-13 11:18:28

feetle I just listened to Nina too, and it was beautiful, but I'm not sure it's what I was thinking of confused

Zengran Mon 20-May-13 10:21:09

A very short song, by a band called Hatfield and the North, called "It didn't matter Anyway". Always brings a tear. The music to this track is very gentle

It didn't matter anyway,
We'll meet again another day,
Till then, keep well,
You'll be in my dreams.
Goodbye, goodbye, 'bye for now.
The time has come to leave you,
Please don't feel alone.
Now that we've met
There'll be a way
To reach you and say
Never mind,
It didn't matter anyway.

feetlebaum Mon 20-May-13 09:18:41

Ella46 - Just listened to a concert version on Youtube - and now I'm a soggy mess - need a tissue... it stirred my emotions all right - like a liquidiser...

Ella46 Mon 20-May-13 07:52:51

feetle I remember "Little Girl Blue"........ wonderful!

absent Mon 20-May-13 02:49:25

Many of the songs that make me feel happy, get my feet tapping or evoke fond memories have already been mentioned - some of them several times. However, there are songs that arouse quite a different sort of emotion and send me flying to the off switch on the radio - A Whiter Shade of Pale and the egregious Mull of Kintyre being two of them.

nanaseaside Mon 20-May-13 00:27:17

Thanks susieb. Happy carefree 1970's. Nanas rock! I guess we're all still 17 inside? Wish my kids could have seen me back then (how I was before I had 'em).

seasider Sun 19-May-13 23:51:27

A Different Corner - George Michael
Third Finger Left Hand by Martha Reeves & The Vandellas
Je T'aime -most sexy record ever
I also love Slipping Through my Fingers because it reminds me of my daughter;

We were jokingly discussing what we want played at our funerals and I want Place in the Sun by Stevie Wonder and A Restless life by Abba which might cause some confusion because the first line sounds just like A Wrestler's life but it should give everyone a laugh! grin

susieb755 Sun 19-May-13 17:44:03

nanaseaside - radar love smile

feetlebaum Sun 19-May-13 11:33:41

I've just remembered Nina Simone's version of 'Little Girl Blue' - that got to me! A fine arrangement, including (of all things) 'Good King Wenceslas'.

feetlebaum Sun 19-May-13 11:30:57

Must agree 'The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face' - the Roberta Flack version is a standout (she was a singing teacher - it showed).

It was written, and sung, by Ewan McColl (Kirsty's father) to his wife, Peggy Seeger - who also recorded it.

specki4eyes Sat 18-May-13 19:36:28

Gimme Shelter by the Stones; Silver Stream - Fleetwood Mac; Lovin & Free - Kiki Dee; The Day before you Came - Abba......don't get me started, I'm busy!

Flowerofthewest Sat 18-May-13 19:14:44

Oh YES Roberta Flack, The first time ever I saw your face! tears whenever I hear it. So much reminds me of falling in love with DH

Thistledoo Sat 18-May-13 09:30:24

Bridge over Troubled waters.
Where do you go to my lovely, Peter Starstead.
Long summers, lots of carefree teenage fun.

Teta Sat 18-May-13 09:17:20

Roberta Flack - First time ever I saw your face
Elbow - One day a year like this

On the negative emotions side though, I have to turn the radio off every time that annoying Rihanna comes one with her Shine like a diamond ditty, Yuk!

nanaseaside Sat 18-May-13 01:03:43

I won a Popmaster MP3 player which I use when on the National Express visiting my GD. It makes me feel quite modern! I love most music so it's hard to choose but here are a few of my emotion stirring tracks....

Sad songs (to be avoided unless I need a good cry);

Slipping Through My Fingers, ABBA (for my long lost daughter)
Landslide, Stevie Nicks (ex OH)
Keep Forgetting We're Not In Love Anymore, Michael McDonald (ditto)

Feelgood Songs (work every time); wine

Do Anything You Wanna Do, Eddie & Hot Rods (I'm 17 & DJ-ing again!)
Rock DJ, Robbie Williams
Superstition, Stevie Wonder (and most of his other songs)
Radar Love, Golden Earring
Sugar Sugar, The Archies
Cecilia, Simon & Garfunkel
Help Me Rhonda, Beach Boys
Any upbeat Motown tracks

I could go on but it's past midnight and this nana needs mucho beauty sleep!moon

Atqui Fri 17-May-13 20:10:52

Alanis Morisette 'you ought a know'
Carole King 'It's too Late'
Dido , Hunter
Carly Simon 'No Secrets'
Sinead O conner Nothing Compares- Anyone see her in concert in Brighton last week-Amazing!!!

petra Fri 17-May-13 15:02:13

As some of you might have gathered from my post's my parents didn't give me much; but one thing they did give me was a love of music.
When my Mum was drunk she would ask me ( well maybe not ask) LOL to sing " Here in my heart" by Al Martino.
For my Father I had to sing " Passing Srangers " at least they had good taste.
My family know that at my funeral they will have to play "Positivly forth street" by Dylan.
What always makes me want to dance "Wake me up before you go go" George Micheal.
To my OH it has to be " Your the best thing that ever happened to me" Gladys Knight.
The song " Is that all there is?" by Peggy Lee always reminds me of me.

soop Thu 16-May-13 11:39:54

Passing Strangers...Billy Eckstein and Sarah Vaughan
The Power of Love...Jennifer Rush
Winner takes it all...Abba
Strangers in the night...Frank and Nancy Sinatra
...and a whole catalogue of others.