Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Pop Songs - which ones stir your emotions?

(90 Posts)
Eloethan Mon 13-May-13 23:48:14

Sad: Fast Car (Tracy Chapman); Vincent (Don Maclean); Easy Terms (Barbara Dickson); Cat's in the Cradle (Harry Chapin)

Happy: Mr Blue Sky (ELO) Summer Breeze (Isley Brothers) Something in the Air (Thundercap Newman)

Joan Tue 14-May-13 07:54:17

California Dreaming.
House of the Rising Sun.
Light my Fire.
Satisfaction.
Norwegian Wood ('cos I always fancied living in Norway - never did)

Oh gawd - there's so many - it is the memories they invoke, I suppose. Most of the Beatles and Stones stuff cheers me up, and Queen.

shysal Tue 14-May-13 08:27:33

DD is going through a marriage break-up, and I wonder whether her ex listens to the words of this beautiful Bruno Mars song, it always moves me to tears. Should've bought you flowers

HappyNanna Tue 14-May-13 09:02:23

'Together we are beautiful' reminds me of an old boyfriend. Oh, the memories when the EDF advert comes on TV.

glammanana Tue 14-May-13 09:08:36

Anything by The Beach Boys and then going to the other extreme all Barry White's music and Love on a Mountain Top by Robert Knight.

Flowerofthewest Tue 14-May-13 09:20:00

Any of the iconic Eagles, Hotel California especially

Neil Young's Harvest and After The Gold Rush albums. Bring back many memories of a lovely Bohemian guy. (oooh stop) blush

Don Williams: Many of his, my DDH and I fell in love to the songs of Don.

Vincent, Starry Starry Night, Don MaClean

Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow - same B Guy. (God I feel like a tart, am I being unfaithful to my DDH) blush

Flowerofthewest Tue 14-May-13 09:21:08

Flower of the West and In Search of Angels by my lovely Runrig certainly stir the emotions. smile smile

kittylester Tue 14-May-13 09:25:29

shysal - I love that song - it moves me too.

'Your song' by Elton John because it's 'our song' but the lyrics are fabulous anyway.

I'll be back with more as they work their way through the fug grin

pamelaJEAN Tue 14-May-13 09:27:14

The Hollies - The Air That I Breathe 1974

The first record my husband, then boyfriend bought me.... it still sends shivers up and down my spine, everytime I hear it.

Ella46 Tue 14-May-13 09:27:42

Love Letters by Ketty Lester, Folks who live on the Hill, by Peggy Lee and It Was a Very Good Year by Frank Sinatra.

LullyDully Tue 14-May-13 09:29:59

No Woman no cry always takes me back to jamaica where we lived for 6 years.

Adele Someone like you gives me goose bumps. Also addicted to anything by Leonard Cohen. Revisited him a few years ago and he is still good. Some 60s/70s music dies but some just goes on and on.

whenim64 Tue 14-May-13 09:31:59

PamelaJEAN you reminded me of another Hollies song - 'He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother.' Always brings a lump to my throat.

kittylester Tue 14-May-13 09:32:35

'Sometimes when we touch' - Dan Hill

Ella46 Tue 14-May-13 09:35:45

All Cried Out, Dusty Springfield.

pamelaJEAN Tue 14-May-13 09:44:56

whenim64 Yes I love the Hollies , and 'He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother is another favourite of mine.

Another song that always brings a tear to my eye is
DANCE WITH MY FATHER AGAIN... by LUTHER VANDROS

ninathenana Tue 14-May-13 10:01:02

Help Me Make It Through The Night the Gladys Knight version.

DH were dancing to this when he proposed.

Eloethan Tue 14-May-13 10:06:07

shysal I've only recently heard "Should've brought you flowers" on the radio. What a beautiful song, beautifully sung.

Eloethan Tue 14-May-13 10:07:49

Ella Love Letters is so smooth - and I love It was a very good year - so poignant.

grumppa Tue 14-May-13 10:38:32

Anything from Francoise Hardy's first LP "Tous les garcons et les filles de mon age...." Excuse lack of cedilla.

kittylester Tue 14-May-13 11:02:57

'Ballad of Lucy Jordan' - Marianne Faithful - really powerful lyrics and delivery.

Flowerofthewest Tue 14-May-13 11:23:10

Oh the memories,

I too get goosebumps at 'Kris Kristofferson's" Help me make it through the night and several others of his.

Saw him at Cambridge Folk Festival a couple of years ago. There was me a 62 year old woman hanging over the barrier, lusting after a 70+ year old superstar. He is still gorgeous!

kittylester Tue 14-May-13 13:49:03

I'm going to have to stop reading this thread if I wan't to get organised to go on holiday.

I love Kris Kristofferson and 'Help me make it through the Night' is really haunting.

That made me think about all of Johnny Cash's 'America' CDs, which I find incredibly moving, Dolly Parton's 'I will always love you' and, especially, Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash singing 'Far side banks of Jordan'

The end, possibly grin

kittylester Tue 14-May-13 13:50:15

Not the end 'wan't' should, obviously, be 'want'. blush

feetlebaum Tue 14-May-13 14:01:25

Pop songs mostly stir emotions like loathing and disgust1 Not all of them, though... I quite like The Eagles and ABBA and the Carpenters' output.

I'm more affected by GAS - Great American Songbook material, like
All the Things You Are (Kern/Fields) or Solitude (Ellington)

Tegan Tue 14-May-13 14:04:43

Eagles are touring again, aren't they Flower? I learned a long time ago not to listen to music if I was going through a bit of a crisis as I could then never listen to it again but you don't realise that when you're in your teens. I agree about California Dreaming and House of the Rising Sun, which touch a nerve somewhere. For some reason I always hated The Honeycomb's 'Have I the Right' and still can't listen to it; I was a very lonely only child on holiday with my very elderly parents when it came out. Early Yardbirds stuff such as 'For Your Love','Heart Full of Soul' and 'Evil hearted You' [got to go and play them now] make me feel all funny inside; not quite sad but not happy either. Itchycoo Park. Dan Fogelbergs 'As the Raven Flies'www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm8x38USBiM....Johnny Cash's 'Hurt'. And everything from Levelling the Land. [sorry, I'm going into a nostagiafest...]