Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Music we hate

(96 Posts)
Elegran Sun 13-Apr-14 10:09:24

Ignore all the wonderful stuff for the moment.

Yesterday Alan Titchmarsh on Classic FM played Karl Jenkins' "Adiemus" which I would rename "Yadda, yadda, Ya Ya". I cannot stand that piece. It repeats and repeats the same discordant refrain until you feel your head getting redhot and exploding. I had to turn the radio off.

What music do you hate?

Aka Sun 13-Apr-14 23:28:00

Scat?

yogagran Mon 14-Apr-14 17:04:32

I really detest Lovely Day sung by Bill Withers, must be the worst song ever

rockgran25 Mon 14-Apr-14 17:05:57

You can probably tell from my username what music I really like especially 70s american rock (Tom Petty very cool).

But the only music I really can't stand is Jazz absolutely sends me to sleep.

feetlebaum Mon 14-Apr-14 18:01:56

@yogagran - Oh the Bill Withers is OK - the worst must be My Way, whoever sings the damn thing...

feetlebaum Mon 14-Apr-14 18:03:03

NAh - Rock is just what people do who aren't good enough to play jazz! That's where the excitement is...

Ana Mon 14-Apr-14 18:28:09

Jazz to me is either so laid-back it puts you to sleep (like rockgran), or so frenetic it makes your hair stand on end! I dislike both, but that's just personal taste.

kittylester Mon 14-Apr-14 19:51:11

DH loves modern jazz sad

HollyDaze Tue 15-Apr-14 09:39:57

I dislike opera, most classical, jazz, C&W, most 'music' after 1980s and pretty much everything pre-1960s; very limited taste in music.

Marty Wed 16-Apr-14 11:33:30

I hate rap, jazz and musak. Our Woolworths in South Africa - same as your Marks and Sparks - play the worst 'mood' music I have ever heard. Enough to drive you barmy. Not fond of yodelling either!

feetlebaum Wed 16-Apr-14 11:59:37

On a more positive note - ding! - I love opera of the Rossini. Mozart, Offenbach, Bizet kind - not so fond of Puccini, Verdi and so on. I like baroque music, jazz from its beginnings up till about 1965, I sometimes enjoy Indian music, both classical and Bollywood, Elgar, Sullivan (with Gilbert) and Vaughan Williams - then there's Irish music - sessions. Modern Brass Bands are pretty good too.

I dislike (hate is too strong a word) Dylan, Leonard Cohen, punk (doesn't deserve a capital letter), anything that makes conversation impossible during a social event.

Heaven can be a good lady vocalist with a jazz-oriented small group - Rosemary Clooney, Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan, Billy Holiday... to quote from my own web-site biog. "He believes that nothing of any real interest has occurred in popular music since the arrival of the Bossa-Nova." That was written tongue in cheek - but it isn't far short of the truth!

liminetta Wed 23-Apr-14 08:22:55

I dislike the yuk they play at weddings,(at the "do" afterwards) when the bride and groom have to have the first dance.
What I absolutely hate is "shopping music"! Piped music in shops,and practically everywhere else these days! In a couple of weeks, I have organised a "bag pack" in a supermarket, to raise funds for our local theatre.I suddenly realized; Ime going to have to forcibly listen to piped music most of that day ! URGHHHHHH!!!!!
Lets have a petition to stop all this awful noise wherever we go.sad

feetlebaum Wed 23-Apr-14 09:02:47

Our Sainsbury's plays music in December - bloody terrible music, of the 'Jinglebell Rock' persuasion, and that ghastly Slade thing - 'Ev'rybody's havin' fun!' Lying swine...

annodomini Wed 23-Apr-14 09:47:47

'Disco' carols, feetle? When the Round Table come round before Christmas with their Santa and sleigh, this 'music' assaults my ears. I have told them what I think of it, but they just think I'm a fussy old bat. Maybe they're right. hmm

mrsmopp Thu 24-Apr-14 17:04:18

A organisation called Pipedown has been campaigning for freedom from piped music. Www.pipedown.info
I hate being forced to listen to music against my will. In stores the staff say they don't have access to the controls, so I say OK I will shop elsewhere.
I wear powerful hearing aids which amplify the noise even more so it really is intolerable. I want conversation in a restaurant and if I want to listen to music I go to a concert.
In pubs, restaurants, shops, hairdressers, shopping centres, it's everywhere, and nobody is listening to it. It's a PAIN.

Nonu Thu 24-Apr-14 17:19:30

Well me and mine have fun Feetle, as do lots of others , lighten up

mrsmopp Thu 24-Apr-14 18:33:38

I'm with feetle on this one. Especially when the Christmas jingles are played from September onwards! Drives me mad! So phoney!
Go to a carol service in a cathedral if you want to hear some proper Christmas music. And shopping in peace would be wonderful.

Nonu Thu 24-Apr-14 19:13:07

Well I am NOT Mrs mop !!
As I said to Feetle lighten up it only comes once a year, may well be dead for the next one, so won"t have to worry about it then!!

<,LE SIGH>

Nonu Thu 24-Apr-14 19:24:56

I meant ^ I ^ might be dead, for the avoidance of doubt !
grin

Elegran Thu 24-Apr-14 20:25:28

If it was only for a week or so once a year, I could survive it, but for a couple of months every year the shops are full of - well it is NOT Christmas music. It is badly written, badly played and sung, badly recorded and played too loud.

Fior the rest of the year we are bombarded with stuff specially written (badly) so that there will be no royalties to pay to real song-writers or musicians. It is sung (badly) by female "singers" who shout, sob and scream their way through shapeless ballads about how suicidal they feel.

Then it is claimed that music in shops make people spend more. If that is true it is only because they are stunned into being incapable of rational thought.

Ana Thu 24-Apr-14 20:27:30

What are these awful shops you frequent, Elegran? confused
I can't remember the last time I was aware of any intrusive music in a store (apart from at Christmas, of course!).

specki4eyes Thu 24-Apr-14 21:41:51

The songs from Les Miserables make me miserable smile. Why people go on about that film/show/whatever is completely beyond me. The music is so simplistic, dreary and maudlin. I wouldn't care but I'm having to sing it at the moment - my choir is learning it for a performance.
Feetlebaum I like Celine Dion - she has an amazing vocal range and her latest album 'Love me Back to Life' is stunning. I agree she is quite annoying when interviewed though..but her singing voice is superb.
Cleo Laine - ugh! Could never stand her voice or delivery - have to switch off when she cranks up.
Jimi Hendrix - can't stand him.
David Bowie - dont get the universal adulation.
And the song which I absolutely cannot bear is 'In the Summertime' by Mungo Jerry. There is a line in it - "If her daddy's rich, take her out for a meal, if her daddy's poor, just do what you feel" oh dear isnt that just appalling?

liminetta Mon 16-Jun-14 08:21:41

We have held our Bag Pack in Tesco,s , one of the main stores.And guess what? NO MUSIC! When I mentioned this to one of the assistants, she replied that piped music was not allowed in the store.Thank you Tescos,s
And we made several hundred pounds.Thank you again Tesco,s! smile

whitewave Mon 16-Jun-14 08:33:36

penstemmon I am with you almost entirely but I do adore most Mozart and rock music in particular

suebailey1 Mon 16-Jun-14 09:17:00

I love music but not RAP under any circumstances. I must be getting old too as I'm starting to like Country and Western.smile

rosesarered Mon 16-Jun-14 09:39:47

grin suebailey does this mean you will develop a penchant for cocoa and Midsommer Murders as well?
I love In The Summertime by Mungo Jerry, makes me feel young and happy, specki I have not pondered on the words, just the general Summery feeling of it , which takes me back a bit.I also love Summer In the City [who sang that?] which was played in all the coffee bars when I was a teenager in the 60's. Ditto The Kinks Lazing on a Sunny Afternoon, although this may be a bit later [70's?]