Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Music we hate

(95 Posts)
Elegran Sun 13-Apr-14 10:09:24

Ignore all the wonderful stuff for the moment.

Yesterday Alan Titchmarsh on Classic FM played Karl Jenkins' "Adiemus" which I would rename "Yadda, yadda, Ya Ya". I cannot stand that piece. It repeats and repeats the same discordant refrain until you feel your head getting redhot and exploding. I had to turn the radio off.

What music do you hate?

henetha Sun 13-Apr-14 10:45:42

I hope your head cooled down and didn't explode, Elegran. Hard to hate any music really, but I find some jazz discordant. And I'm not too keen on modern singers who shout rather than sing. I'm going to check out your Adiemus on YouTube in a minute to see if it makes my head explode too.
Cheers. smile

Culag Sun 13-Apr-14 11:05:59

My absolute hate is warbling (or even wobbling!) female opera singers, can't stand it. You can't make out the words and it's often in a different language anyway.

Elegran Sun 13-Apr-14 11:10:48

And the kind of tapes they put on in shops, of female vocalists ruining their larynxes with tortured wailing squawks. For some reason this is thought to make you spend more. It just makes me leave.

harrigran Sun 13-Apr-14 11:12:49

I loathe jazz and female opera singers who squawk. DH likes to listen to Maria Callas discs but I have to leave the room.

Elegran Sun 13-Apr-14 11:50:26

Choristers singing high notes that they can't quite reach without straining. Some of them have ethereal voices, some definitely do not.

feetlebaum Sun 13-Apr-14 12:04:49

Reluctantly I have to agree with harrigran to some extent, in that Callas did use some ugly sounds - but no opera singer squawks! They wouldn't last five minutes if they did...

As for jazz - I fell in love with it aged thirteen - revivalist stuff then, but developing up until the likes of Coltrane - and once again someone was trying to sound ugly - Philip Larkin compared his saxophone sound to a snake charmer...

Apart from that I just hate rock and broiler pop and anything made by machines or rappers.

Mishap Sun 13-Apr-14 12:46:46

Any music that is piped into lifts, supermarkets etc. - it is always pap and hardly deserves to be called music.

Interestingly, Karl Jenkins has since written some good stuff - he was just practising with Adiemus!

I have very catholic taste in music - from obscure classical stuff to folk; but I could never get my head round a certain sort of jazz that I always call "piddle music" - you know the stuff - it just goes piddling on and on and on........

And as for the "vomit singing" (i.e. throat closed as if gagging to vomit) - it makes me sick! - especially when young children with beautiful pure voices try to do this whilst emulating a track they have heard. Yuk! I had to judge a children's singing competition last summer and this is what they did - it was frightful. And I knew that several had beautiful voices under all the nonsense.

Lilygran Sun 13-Apr-14 13:42:01

Just listened to it on YouTube, Elegran and I see what you mean. But I don't like any 'mood music' or lift music or waiting room music. I also don't like what you can hear of what other people are listening to through earphones.

Galen Sun 13-Apr-14 13:49:59

Punk rock and similar.

Grannyknot Sun 13-Apr-14 14:28:01

Celine Dion for starters. And 'heavy metal'.

Lona Sun 13-Apr-14 14:53:10

I went into Clintons yesterday for a card, and the piped music was so awful that I asked the girl behind the till about it. She said it was free, piped "music" so they didn't have to have a Performing Rights certificate and pay!
I suggested turning it off, turning it right down so it couldn't be heard, or pretending it was broken wink
No good, because the regional manager could visit and catch them out.

It was truly dire, but even the threat of lost custom isn't working.
What a stupid policy hmm

feetlebaum Sun 13-Apr-14 15:36:13

I'm at a loss as to why so many people pick on Celine Dion! What is it about her, I wonder? Admittedly think she is better in French than in English, but still... she's certainly better than Shirley Bassey on one of her ear-chewing days. One day she'll actually eat her own ear in mid-bellow...

@Mishap - I wonder if your 'vomit' singing is what I call 'regurgitation style' - typified by such as David Bowie and Brian Ferrie - and even Pet Clarke when she was infected with 'yéyé' songs...

Then there's melisma, abused to the point of absurdity by such as Maria Carey - I keep wanting to tell her that if she doesn't know the tune she shouldn't be singing it...

Penstemmon Sun 13-Apr-14 16:37:05

Pick & mix is my style of likes and dislikes!

I am not a fan of much classical music..DH often puts Classic FM on and I find it irritating though I like some pieces.

I really disliked the music from the film The Piano!

I like some operatic arias but am not a fan of female sopranos

I enjoy some music written for classical ballet

I like some jazz but not all

I dislike many contemporary musicals: Lloyd Webber etc but like Sondheim

I like a lot of rock music, folk, C&W, some 60s-80's pop but not so much of the contemporary 'pop' music

I like some punk. I like some 'world' music too!

janerowena Sun 13-Apr-14 20:09:41

Rap. I can't bear it.

Grannyknot Sun 13-Apr-14 20:15:31

feetle I don't like Shirley Bassey either when she screeches. And as for Me Streisand, pass the ear plugs smile

yogagran Sun 13-Apr-14 20:33:23

I turn the radio off when Frank Sinatra starts shock

rosesarered Sun 13-Apr-14 20:40:21

rap, heavy metal, any female screecher, punk, hey nonny no type folk music.

Aka Sun 13-Apr-14 20:40:45

I'm pretty easy to please, folk to blues, classical to rap, but can't stand modern jazz.

rubysong Sun 13-Apr-14 20:50:51

I'm with you Aka. I describe myself as allergic to modern jazz but I love really miserable folk sung unaccompanied, old type blues and some opera.

seasider Sun 13-Apr-14 21:34:43

Can't stand endless doobie doobie doo type jazz like Cleo Lane used to sing!

TriciaF Sun 13-Apr-14 21:50:29

A lot of the modern stuff I just wouldn't call music - repetitive discordant etc.
I like most classical music apart from some opera - never got the hang of it.
And I love Blues - David Freeman's Blues and Boogie on Jazz FM Sunday evening is my favourite radio programme.

POGS Sun 13-Apr-14 22:17:22

I dislike jazz and rap too.

Bagpipes, violins and piano music are hardly favourites either.

How boring though if we all enjoyed the same music, food, t.v etc.

Aka Sun 13-Apr-14 22:55:44

POGS if you've never stood on a battlement in the dark and listened to a lone piper playing a sad lament you've never lived!

POGS Sun 13-Apr-14 23:11:48

Aka

I won't disagree with you. I wouldn't dare. wink

I did say it would be boring if we all enjoyed the same music. wine