Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Music we hate

(96 Posts)
Elegran Sun 13-Apr-14 10:09:24

Ignore all the wonderful stuff for the moment.

Yesterday Alan Titchmarsh on Classic FM played Karl Jenkins' "Adiemus" which I would rename "Yadda, yadda, Ya Ya". I cannot stand that piece. It repeats and repeats the same discordant refrain until you feel your head getting redhot and exploding. I had to turn the radio off.

What music do you hate?

rubysong Fri 18-Jul-14 22:58:05

Last night DH and I were in London for a gig by the band 'Kansas'. (There may have been other Gnetters there as the average age was well over 50.) They are DH's very favourite and I went along for company but in fact I really enjoyed it. Very loud and very complicated but the whole thing was exciting as their fans are so enthusiastic and appreciative.
What I don't like is modern jazz.

Galen Fri 18-Jul-14 22:59:19

Sorry, I like Adiemusblush
But then as well as my beloved early gregorian and polyphonic music,
I love ABBA! And Enya

Galen Fri 18-Jul-14 23:04:08

Anno haven't heard Gerontius for years. Must listen again.
So many works I haven't heard for ages
Mendelssohn violin in A
Grieg piano concerto
Mozart flute and marriage of Tigard
Verdi rigoletto and trovatore
Could go on for ever.
Must start listening to music again

Coolgran65 Sat 19-Jul-14 03:48:53

I can't stand rap, most jazz, don't like disco music,or heavy metal,or punk.

I love country music and am so disappointed that Garth Brooks is not playing his concerts in Dublin...What an administrative mess.
I love My Way... DH and a fellow police officer recorded it for $30 in Sun Studios in Memphis and got very emotional. They ad libbed the last two verses to suit themselves and were both in tears...And at party time the CD comes on, we all sing along until where they ad libbed and there is silence as we listen to it and their tearful emotions.

Now, I'd like my final song to be Over the rainbow by Israel. Bring a tear to a stone.
Love also rod Stewart, eagles, beautiful south. Michael Buble.Kenny Rogers, dolly Parton and Johnny cash.

MiceElf Sat 19-Jul-14 06:42:17

Nelliemoser it is The Kingdom. New to me and a delight.

Any other Folkies here? The best of all are the border ballads.

And I HATE that gamelan whatever it's playing.

rubysong Sat 19-Jul-14 10:06:00

I like a bit of folk MiceElf especially miserable heartfelt traditional songs.
I particularly like Jim Causley and Damien Barber at the moment.
(I also like Adiemus)

overthehill Sat 19-Jul-14 20:11:39

Can't stand Elvis, Cliff Richard, Johnny Cash.

Can tolerate Chuck Berry

Like rock and heavy metal.

Heliotrope Mon 21-Jul-14 18:00:22

Don't like Ludovico Einaudi though he seems very popular, but it's burbling music, what does anyone else think?

Brendawymms Mon 21-Jul-14 18:01:39

I agree with you Heliotrope. It's not music it's a noise.

Ariadne Mon 21-Jul-14 18:03:37

I hate Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra (mainly) and all those dreary, drawn out love songs.

Anne58 Mon 21-Jul-14 18:05:47

I remember a few years ago Mr P and I channel hopping one night and came across a live performance with Elbow and the BBC Concert Orchestra at Abbey Road. We had not heard them before and were absolutely spellbound. Bought the dual pack CD & DVD soon after and I still love it.

Anne58 Mon 21-Jul-14 18:08:41

Sorry, to get back on to the "hate" bit, I have mentioned before that I cannot bear the music for the File on 4 radio programme, I find it incredibly depressing. Mr P (bless him) hastens across the kitchen to turn the radio off. I think Tegan had the same reaction.

Lona Mon 21-Jul-14 19:38:33

I hate loathe and detest Andre Rieu (sp) and all that awful Viennese waltz music! Yuk!

hildajenniJ Mon 21-Jul-14 20:31:45

I don't like Ludovico Einaudi(sp) either Heliotrope It's very repetitive and I find it boring. I love Andre Rieu and his Johann Strauss orchestra. I would love to go to one of his concerts. I like the modern musicals also my fav. is Les Mis. [Smile]

hildajenniJ Mon 21-Jul-14 20:32:45

smile

feetlebaum Mon 21-Jul-14 21:43:52

@Lona - Whereas I don't find Mr Rieu to my taste, I am a fixture on Ne Years's Day for the Vienna Phil concert from the Musikverein - lots of Viennese music, and very good.

Lona Mon 21-Jul-14 21:51:26

@feetle sorry, I'm definitely allergic to anything Viennese!

Galen Mon 21-Jul-14 22:19:06

Including sachertorte?

annodomini Mon 21-Jul-14 22:56:44

Mice, once I started listening to the recording of the First Night of the Proms, I recognised The Kingdom as an oratorio we heard in Nottingham in about 1974 and we had a recording of it which I knew quite well. Mary Magdalen's wonderful aria 'The sun goeth down' is one of my favourite pieces from any oratorio. It was a beautiful performance to launch the Proms this year.

Heliotrope Thu 24-Jul-14 10:57:35

Simon Bolivar Orchestra inspiring,saw them on Proms last year,like "proper music" with structure, music to make your heart soar!! Bach piano sonatas with their almost mathematical precision, Did anyone watch Handel at the Foundling Hospital, excellent, most interesting.