Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

What was on the TV or Radio the day you were born?

(33 Posts)
Starling Thu 16-Oct-14 23:45:55

Watch with Mother, Wells Fargo and Juke Box Jury in my case!

See genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/

"A new digital archive of Radio Times listings has opened up a treasure chest of TV (or radio) nostalgia."

It goes back to 1923!

rosesarered Wed 05-Nov-14 20:03:27

Haven't checked yet to see what was on[though my family didn't get a tv until 1962.]However, the King was still on the throne at that time, and Winston Churchill was Prime Minister when I was born. I do remember my Mother listening to the radio a lot and me enjoying Listen With Mother[was that Daphne Oxenford?]

Maggiemaybe Wed 05-Nov-14 21:11:52

Well, it was relentless jollity on the Light Programme on my big day. Wilfred Pickles in Have a Go!, Billy Cotton's Band Show, Beryl Reid and Benny Hill in Archie's the Boy, Life with the Lyons, Take it from Here with Jimmy Edwards and June Whitfield, Terry-Thomas in Talk of the Town, George Cole's A Life of Bliss. All woven around International Hit Parade - "A gramophone programme of the top records from Czechoslovakia based on information supplied by the Czechoslovak Embassy".

FlicketyB Thu 06-Nov-14 07:46:27

TV: nothing. It had been suspended for the duration. Radio: Home programme wall-to-wall music most of it classical, interspersed with items on jam making, gardening and home nursing. The music included piano music and works by Beethoven. That explains my enjoyment of both.

Whether I heard any of it is doubtful. In the days of keeping women in hospital and in bed for a fortnight after giving birth, I was probably wrapped up in the anodyne quietness of King's College Hospital's mother and baby ward.

Icyalittle Thu 06-Nov-14 08:25:24

How fascinating! On the Light Programme, there was ^Forces Educational Broadcast PLAIN ENGLISH
' Unaccustomed As I Am to Public Speaking': H. M. Burton gives some hints on addressing an audience, small or large, if the need arises'^
Given that my careers included
a. being in the Forces
and b. teaching / examining public speaking

Icyalittle Thu 06-Nov-14 08:26:08

(Why didn't my italics work?)

Lilygran Thu 06-Nov-14 09:52:19

No TV when I was born! Radio - probably ITMA and Workers' Playtime.

suevie34 Thu 06-Nov-14 16:15:16

All I know is that my mother was being bombed...I arrived at 6.00 am but the doctor couldn't get through.

She never forgot it!