Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Art is culture, right?

(134 Posts)
thatbags Fri 31-Oct-14 13:27:49

So when I saw this title, I thought I'd better find out what he meant:

Title: Jonathan Jones, the Guardian's Art critic, is a twat, by Iain Dale

Jonathan Jones is a twat. He’s the art critic of The Guardian, and wrote this week that the poppy display in the Tower of London was “fake, trite and inward looking – and a UKIP style memorial”. In a typically elitist Guardian manner he also criticised the sculpture’s (for that is what it is) “mass appeal”.

The man is an idiot. Naturally, he refused to come on my radio show to defend himself or his stance, which seemed more designed to court publicity than anything else. I have never seen the point of art critics. They sit in their ivory towers and take issue with anything that normal people tend to appreciate. Instead, they laud praise on modern art which the rest of us regard as a joke.

On my LBC show I am launching a campaign to persuade the Tower of London to keep the poppies there until 11 November 1918, the hundredth anniversary of the armistice, assuming that the poppies can stand the weather. I wonder what Jones would say about that. But then again, who gives a monkey’s arse what he thinks.

~~~~~~

What do you think of the idea of keeping the poppy display at the Tower? And do you agree with what he says about art critics?

Ana Wed 12-Nov-14 20:32:55

What you on about, Nonu - Hotmail? confused

Nonu Wed 12-Nov-14 20:38:41

That is what I go onto to receive my PM"S !

So okay, I MIGHT be wrong , shoot me !

You tell SOON what is the proper way to receive PM"S.

grin

Ana Wed 12-Nov-14 20:41:18

Go to your Inbox or, if you've opted to be emailed when you get a GN messaage, to your email provider.

Which may or may not be Hotmail...hmm

Nonu Wed 12-Nov-14 20:50:23

Well mine is Hotmail, and I don"T know where the inbox is,! DUH

Ana Wed 12-Nov-14 20:54:49

Not everyone uses Hotmail though, Nonu!

And your Inbox is at the top of this page, right next to the Log Out button...grin

Eloethan Wed 12-Nov-14 21:01:48

jingle I absolutely agree with you.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 12-Nov-14 21:31:07

Ana and Nonu grin grin grin

Sort it out!

Thanks Eloethan.

Nonu Wed 12-Nov-14 21:39:11

Have done , Marm,

Roger , over and out!

grin