Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Any writers out there?

(97 Posts)
Jane10 Sun 18-Jan-15 11:02:38

Since I've retired everyone I meet seems to be busy writing. So many books on the go, writing groups etc. I'm working on a book myself. Any other Grans at it?

Mishap Sun 18-Jan-15 11:06:37

I write a lot of poetry and belong to a poetry group - we set tasks for each meeting and enjoy listening and learning from each other.

thatbags Sun 18-Jan-15 11:11:38

I have the seeds of a book plan in my head. Botanical. And I blog.

Teetime Sun 18-Jan-15 12:23:30

2 books in slow progress!

petallus Sun 18-Jan-15 12:28:44

I have written short stories and poetry. I have not tried to get anything published though I was once advised to do so for the poetry.

ffinnochio Sun 18-Jan-15 12:32:45

Yep.

Marelli Sun 18-Jan-15 12:38:47

Written a bit of poetry when I was part of a writers' group. Not done anything recently, though.

PRINTMISS Sun 18-Jan-15 12:57:58

They say everyone has a story to tell; personally, I could not write fiction, but I can tell a good tale about personal things, most of them laughable, not worth publishing. I envy folk who can weave a story round fictional people. Lovely.

janeainsworth Sun 18-Jan-15 12:59:16

I write a blog about our adventures on the American Waterways.

NfkDumpling Sun 18-Jan-15 13:06:21

And very good it is too Jane

NfkDumpling Sun 18-Jan-15 13:07:00

Where's Phoenix?

chloe1984 Sun 18-Jan-15 13:12:35

My new years resolution was to make a start on a book ( something I have been meaning to do for years) so far I have managed about three pages. Not sure how many I will complete by 2016 think it may just turn into a short story grin

merlotgran Sun 18-Jan-15 14:18:32

If I had my time again I would love to be a sit-com writer. I can't seem to take life seriously (unless it's something truly serious, of course) and everything I write ends up as a piss take gentle poke at reality.

I've had a couple of poems published in the local paper but haven't bothered for years because it seems to have been taken over by a lot of hand-wringing, argumentative, humourless folk.

In the late seventies I had a small piece published in Farmers Weekly about the trials and tribulations of a multi-tasking wife.

If I ever get the time I would like to write about the next stage of our lives which will be downsizing (again) and a new take on communal living with DD and her boys but first we must build our new home!!

janeainsworth Sun 18-Jan-15 14:45:46

Thank you Nfk smile

soontobe Sun 18-Jan-15 14:53:22

Yes. Non fiction. The process is laborious.

Katek Sun 18-Jan-15 14:54:46

Not books but I do write scripts.

absentgrandma Sun 18-Jan-15 15:24:06

I have had a blog for five or six years but for the last couple of years it's been sadly neglected as I've been distracted by writing articles for websites and magazines. The recent attack on Charlie Hebdo has made me realise the importance of freedom of speech, so I'm determined to start blogging my thoughts again, however controversial. I will never be cowed by fanatics.

I also write fiction and have a 'work in progress'... a lengthy novel set in Occupied France which came 3rd in an international competition last year for the best opening chapters of a work of fiction. This should have spurred me on to complete it... which I have, but now it needs a serious edit. Last year I just couldn't get the enthusiasm for it. I've lived with the main characters for five years and they are beginning to bore me, like new friends you find really interesting and then you realise they're actually quite annoying!!! I really must bite the bullet, get my SOE agent back to England, and write THE END ! There has been such a lot of research put into it that it would be a shame not to do something with it, even if I go down the E- publishing route.

I've one or two more novels waiting to be written before I 'pop my clogs' and time isn't on my side so I really must crack on and not be distracted by sites such as Gransnet hmm.

Even if my fiction never sees the light of day I look on writing as a 'brain exercise' and the research is totally fascinating. Three cheers for Google!

NanKate Sun 18-Jan-15 15:32:01

I know quite a lot about publishing and all that is involved in writing as my son is a full time children's author.

Although he would not want to do anything else, it is not a career for the feint hearted as writing is just a small part of what is required for success. Touring to promote the books is pretty gruelling, attending Festivals and selling enough books to keep your publisher happy.

I suspect that most of us Gransnetters are more interested in writing for ourselves or family and not making a living out of it.

I'm happy to give any advice if anyone wants it.

NotTooOld Sun 18-Jan-15 16:24:41

I've written three full length novels since retirement. I have not tried to get any of them published as these days that is really hard work - see what NanKate says above. I recently completed an OU degree which included two creative writing modules (A215 and A363, if anyone is interested) and I learned a lot. My most recent effort is a couple of children's books, one for each of the younger grandchildren featuring themselves as hero/heroine, which seemed to go down well at Christmas.

Jane10 Sun 18-Jan-15 17:03:14

Why not try nottooold? The E-publishing route seems interesting and could be worthwhile. It seems a shame that all that work should just be put away. I've got a fair bit to go but have found a very helpful writers collective/micropublisher so I bash on. I will really miss the characters and place I created for them when its finished.

NotTooOld Sun 18-Jan-15 17:18:10

Hi, Jane10. I know exactly what you mean when you say you will miss your characters. I still miss mine and often think about them. I did have a look at e-publishing on Amazon as many new writers seem to go down that route, but it seemed quite complicated. I did actually upload one of the novels on to a website for new writers a few years back. It got quite good reviews but I feel slightly embarrassed about it since I did the OU course as I can now pick out all its faults and see how it could be improved!

Buzzkin Mon 19-Jan-15 08:20:08

Having retired as a veterinary surgeon I began to teach older members of our village how to use their home computers. I had a series of notes on various computing problems and decided to organize the notes into book form. Having written three novels - all unpublished - I submitted the book to John Wiley who decided to publish it. This has been followed by three more books on computing for the older generation. So far they have sold over 20,000 copies across the world.
I am now plotting a crime novel set in my home county of Somerset.
My only advice would be to write something everyday and read as broadly as you can.

Jane10 Mon 19-Jan-15 08:36:21

Wow! Good for you Buzzkin. I'm pretty organised and do get on with it but am sometimes surprised at what comes out of my head! Having been a voracious reader all my life I know what sort of thing I enjoy reading so try to write stuff for myself and and can only hope others like it too. Family and friends don't count though as they tend to be too polite. Will persevere!

GrannieGrimble Mon 19-Jan-15 11:32:04

Its good to read how others have had success with their writing. I too love writing and have studied the art to diploma level (including the creative writing module A215) I wouldn't be without it - articles short stories or poetry, some with minimal success. I ring the changes to match the mood and aim the submissions usually at free writing competitions.

Anne58 Mon 19-Jan-15 16:12:16

You called, Nfk? grin