Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Any writers out there?

(98 Posts)
Jane10 Sun 18-Jan-15 11:02:38

Since I've retired everyone I meet seems to be busy writing. So many books on the go, writing groups etc. I'm working on a book myself. Any other Grans at it?

Ana Thu 22-Jan-15 22:07:30

Oh no! I always put two spaces after a full stop....I am so behind the times! confused

Soutra Thu 22-Jan-15 22:13:59

Oops am I revealing my Germanic roots inserting a comma before a subordinate clause?

Do your "modern" punctuation rules take the Oxford comma into account?

Soutra Thu 22-Jan-15 22:18:18

"Fowler's English Usage" and its various revisions must still be applicable, no?

Grannyknot Thu 22-Jan-15 22:25:53

soutra I have no idea what the Oxford comma really is! But I do know it exists. So far I've managed without it, thank goodness.

My knowledge of English grammar and punctuation is purely a reflection of the South African school system of the 1950s and 1960s.

absent I don't think Amstrad ever made it to SA back when I was a typist, so that's my excuse for not having realised that double spacing disappeared along with it.

Soutra Thu 22-Jan-15 22:35:34

Now I AM going to sound picky, but you also have to bear in mind what I believe is known as "house style" as is illustrated by Grannyknot's own link:

the National Geographic Style Manual is a guide to preferred National Geographic Society style and usage. It is not meant to be definitive; use it along with othersources and your own editorial judgment

absent Thu 22-Jan-15 22:38:26

Grannyknot Oxford comma: Apples, figs, oranges, and pears can all be used in this delicious dessert, i.e. a comma before "and" in a list. It is also known as the American comma and is standard punctuation in the USA.

Soutra I think most non-fiction publishers have their own style books compiled to suit the types of books they publish and the main English-speaking markets in which they sell. (I'm not so familiar with fiction publishing and anyway that's rather different.) Fowler does not provide very easy reference and is regarded as bit passé, although I still consult English Usage among other reference books from time to time. I'm probably a bit passé as well.

Not all subordinate clauses need a comma but it's more a matter of judgement than a hard-and-fast rule – so it's pretty much right either way.

Jane10 Fri 23-Jan-15 08:56:28

Gosh a whole world of grammatical nit picking to consider. Having written mostly academic journal articles and theses I am well aware of the writing conventions required for those. Now I'm sort of freeing myself to write fiction I hear from an experienced reader /writer that my style is a bit formal and old fashioned. Fair enough. I love old books. I had thought to just get the story down then look at style/proof reading etc. I know ill need an outside eye to check for typos etc. I think it'll be a long job but I enjoy the writing and think I'll enjoy the learning I'll have to do re publication.

Brahaspatinda Sun 25-Jan-15 17:18:30

Oxford comma (UK): use to break up a list that includes more description/ adjectives/ subclauses. Like this: Those crunchy apples we picked yesterday, figs if you can find any, half-a-dozen oranges although not Seville which are too bitter, and some pears would be nice too! Much more complicated than this and we reach the lofty realms of semi-colons, oo-er.

annodomini Sun 25-Jan-15 17:43:50

I live in the lofty realms of semi-colons in situations of the kind you quote. I do realise that they are going out of fashion, but I think they would make your sentence clearer.

numberplease Wed 04-Mar-15 15:39:48

Back in the mid 70s, I had a book idea in my head, a couple of years later, I got the first 2 chapters on paper, but then didn`t really have the time to continue, what with 5 kids and a full time job. The idea and story are still in there, maybe I should have another go before it`s too late?

Jane10 Wed 04-Mar-15 15:42:54

Go for it numberplease! Writing's a different world now what with t'internet e-publishing and all. Lots of writers groups around too. Good luck

absentgrandma Wed 04-Mar-15 15:52:18

I think we who was taught proper English grammar should start a movement for the protection of the semi-colon grin. It's seriously endangered.

Galen Wed 04-Mar-15 16:29:52

Semi colon! shock ( runs away screaming)

And colons! They're part of the alimentary system as far I'm concerned.

soontobe Wed 04-Mar-15 17:09:57

The older I get, the more I realise that there is not "proper" English.
Well, there is I suppose, but people choose not to abide by the "rules". And a majority tends to win out.
Plus if it is not taught "correctly" in schools, well that is the end of that.
Language is a continuim.

Ariadne Wed 04-Mar-15 20:43:46

anno I agree with you on the use of the semi colon! I think it adds a level of subtlety to a script.

Indenting of paragraphs, two spaces after a full stop and so on disappeared with the advent of word processing in its various forms, didn't they?As did the old slanting way of writing addresses!

The "correct" way, *soontobe" - in other words the current, accepted way of punctuating is, I assure you, taught in schools. (Whether the knowledge is retained is another matter.) Spelling is still taught too, but, as we can see here, even the oldest users of language get it wrong.

constance Fri 19-Jun-15 13:00:43

I love creative writing and had not done any since school, but a few years back when a friend and I were both 'convalescing' we started egging each other on to write novels and really enjoyed it. She put me on to Nanowrimo, where you aim to write, hell for leather, for the whole of November and only edit it afterwards. I even bought the tshirt when I managed to hit the target number of words. smile

Anyway, after a while, a friend of hers joined in and the three of us organised a few "Writing weekends" away where we would write, share, eat, drink and maybe go for a walk. Another friend of mine joined so we were a quartet, writing and sharing and trying to meet once a month or so, with me trying not to feel too in awe of the others.

I have attended some one-day courses in Bristol and in London, mostly on writing for screen or radio, as well as a four day "writing for games" course that was held in Ted Hughes & Sylvia Plath's old house - check out Arvon Foundation for a list of what they offer if you really want a treat.

Now I have one sort-of-finished novel, several unfinished novels and scripts and a prototype of a computer game. I could probably do with a really good editor. Just recently I have been wanting to get back to writing the novel as it was such fun to do and I miss those first characters. I would lose track of time while immersed in writing and not get anything else done. One day I would like to have a published novel or a produced film...

In the meantime, the friend who I started writing can not write anymore and she has not long left with us, but she did get a book deal and co-authored Farewell Trip that she started before her current diagnosis.
The second friend has written Becoming Mary, a brilliant Austen sequel that I love.
The third friend is writing a screenplay as well as putting some of her funny short stories on Kindle, like Where's Bobo Gonna Go? that she wrote on one of our weekends away.

I will catch up with them, especially if I find a good editor to tell me what needs doing with the storyline, not the punctuation, but at the moment we don't meet up to write as it seems somehow wrong with only three of us able to. But I am sure we will.

Jane10 Fri 19-Jun-15 13:24:20

Sorry to hear about your friend constance. Sounds like you actually wrote a lot. It seems a shame not to use what you have so far or to go on and write some more. Getting things published is another whole ball game but its very interesting and you meet so many new people and have to think about so many new things: it opens up whole new possibilities. Maybe that's what you could with right now as it seems that various aspects of your life are diminishing. Please forgive me if I've read you wrong there but there was such a wistful tone to your posting.

Daisyanswerdo Fri 19-Jun-15 23:45:26

I've been a freelance proofreader and copy-editor for years; I am officially retired but still get work occasionally.

constance Thu 02-Jul-15 23:26:41

Thanks Jane10 I have been a bit maudlin, and escaped on easjyjet to visit newest grandbaby. While I was there I bought a new notebook so maybe I will resurrect some writing projects soon and actually finish a project!

Jane10 Sun 05-Jul-15 22:05:37

Try flash fiction just to get yourself going? Its an interesting mental challenge. There's 100 word stories and even 6 word ones on the Friday flash fiction website. Its a start anyway. Get to it!

Maywalk Sat 11-Jul-15 19:29:34

Yes I have written one or two books that have had any proceeds from them go to my local childrens hospice.
It all started when I was about 72 and my son asked me to write about my life that takes the reader through the Great Depression and being bombed out twice in WW2 plus being machine gunned twice and evacuated after the London Blitz. www.reprintuk.com/authors/maisie_walker
Just for the record I am 85 now.
From that stemmed my website that has had well over 30,000 visitors since it went on the net.
I have also appeared on TV about those far off years and I can only say that its been a wonderful time since I put pen to paper that started all this off because even my poems have been broadcast.
I can only write true stories and poems. I am no good at fiction I just lose the plot.

Jane10 Sun 12-Jul-15 09:22:44

Wow. How interesting Maywalk. Its so important to record what things were really like back then and at the sharp end. You might find it hard to write imaginative stories but what you have written can be brilliant accurate source material for future writers to use when writing stories of war time. Must check out your website