Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Cultural destruction

(43 Posts)
whitewave Sat 11-Jul-15 20:13:18

I have just watched a programme showing ISIS destroying ancient works of art. The programme argued that an aggressor goes first for the people's history and then the people. Would Gran's feel "weakened" if an aggressor destroyed anything physical relating to our culture and which particular object would it be?

Ana Sun 12-Jul-15 21:02:35

The 'no you can't' was obviously to you - but you're right, leave it to jingl...

granjura Sun 12-Jul-15 21:03:38

For info:

Following the Dissolution of the Monasteries, Henry VIII began to lease out his newly acquired land and property to extract an income from them. Leicester Abbey was granted in 1539, on a 21-year lease, to Dr. Francis Cave, one of the commissioners who had negotiated the surrender of the abbey.[15] During this period the abbey was rapidly demolished with the stone sold to meet the high demand within the town of Leicester.[5][16]

War with France and Scotland led Henry VIII to sell of some of the religious establishments and land to raise finances quickly. Later, they were granted or bestowed to leading families who were friends or supporters of the King. These former religious establishments were frequently developed into country homes by their new aristocratic owners.[17][18] Notable examples of this include Calke Abbey,[19] Longleat House,[20] Syon House,[21] Welbeck Abbey.[22] and Woburn Abbey.[23]

Ana Sun 12-Jul-15 21:03:59

The 'daft question' post was in response to the OP, is what I meant.

granjura Sun 12-Jul-15 21:05:11

Posts crossed Ana. 'No you can't what???' in the context of this thread? I really do not get it.

vampirequeen Sun 12-Jul-15 21:05:14

It is him in a way, durhamjen but it's a very stylised, flattering version of him for propaganda purposes.

Ana Sun 12-Jul-15 21:07:31

No you can't ask! Never mind, I'm leaving this now.

granjura Sun 12-Jul-15 21:14:09

Oh I see- but that was hours ago- no wonder it is confusing:

May I ask, which question is daft, and why? Thanks.

So why not? If such comments are made, without qualification or explanation, then it is only fair to ask, and expect an answer - do you not think so? Thanks.

granjura Sun 12-Jul-15 21:28:27

May I ask too if you and jingl are the same person, or twins perhaps?

janerowena Sun 12-Jul-15 21:41:35

I took it to mean, no, you can't just pick one.

We have so much. Even after Henry's and Cromwell's devastations, many of the churches that were vandalised are still incredibly beautiful, even though their angels are headless. Big Ben, perhaps?

granjura Sun 12-Jul-15 21:45:20

Thanks- as said, it might be better for jingl to clarify and we can't possibly guess what she meant.

It was the other Cromwel of the Civil War, quite a bit later,l that got rid of the heads, not Henry VIII's one- who did totally destroy abbeys and churches by the 1000s.

janerowena Sun 12-Jul-15 21:59:54

Whoever or whatever - just think of what the Great Fire of London must have destroyed. I try to think 'what you don't know, you won't miss', but it's hard. I can still empathise with VQ even though I have no idea what the Bradford mosque is like.

Maggiemaybe Sun 12-Jul-15 22:14:00

Me neither, janerowena, There are over 100 mosques in Bradford, and I wasn't aware there'd been a new one of any great note. confused

granjura Sun 12-Jul-15 22:24:47

As shocking as the recent destruction by Isis is- the fact is that the culturla heritage of the East, and the Muslim world, has been plundered for myn centuries by the British and France, and other European countries. Our Museums and many private collections are full of such artefacts of the most valuable and exquisite nature... Even recently, the priceless cultural heritage of Persia, and later Iran and irak- have been plundered under the cover of war, and sold to Museums and private collections all over the Western world for a fortune. Hence the window of opportunity ceased by ISIS.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 12-Jul-15 22:35:15

Yes. Ana and I are the same people. She types posts on the fifties 'puter in the loft, whilst I use an all singing and dancing i-phone in the basement. I use our left hand, she uses our right.

#outed

granjura Sun 12-Jul-15 22:37:38

ahaha thanks- there did seem to be an echo. I understand now ;)

Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum - fabulous.

Ana Sun 12-Jul-15 22:40:04

Damn!

#can'ttrustanyonethesedayshmm

vampirequeen Tue 14-Jul-15 20:01:32

It's the Al-Jamia Suffa-Tul-Islam Grand Mosque (Bradford Grand Mosque) in Horton Park Avenue.