Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Words Scots use

(27 Posts)
jollyg Wed 23-Sep-15 09:34:28

scotsthesaurus.org.

It looks like a fascinating read, just launched today

Alea Wed 23-Sep-15 09:42:54

Aye, it was a wee bit dreich yesterday but that's nae bother if ye're thrawn an no wabit. Ah mind yon perjink wee Jummie up the close, ah took a right scunner tae him.

I anticipate perusing the Scottish Thesaurus with interest.

Elegran Wed 23-Sep-15 09:51:09

I read that among the 421 Scots words for snow is " "skelf" (a large snowflake)." I have never heard that - a skelf is a splinter. I suppose a large snowflake has a certain vague similarity to a splinter, but still . . .

jollyg Wed 23-Sep-15 10:19:26

I suppose certain words are area specific.

I remember using 'skelf' for a splinter, but someone from the Borders used a different word, which I have forgotten, and as for the fishermen frae Aberdeen, their language was a total mystery.

They used to come through the Caledonian Canal!

Love the work perjink

Katek Wed 23-Sep-15 10:22:02

I thought skelf was a splinter too-other word I know for splinter is a spail/spale

ninathenana Wed 23-Sep-15 10:25:27

I will send that link to DD she moved over the border 4 mths ago and immediately started saying aye (sp) and some Scottish phrases smile

annodomini Wed 23-Sep-15 10:28:38

We used to get skelfs which mum winkled out with a needle sterilised in the gas flame. Can't say I know all those words for snow - suspect a Scandinavian derivation for many of them, especially if they begin with 'sk'. That thesaurus is a 'must'!

annodomini Wed 23-Sep-15 10:29:40

Oh and if we were naughty we were threatened with a good 'skelping' which was, if I remember correctly, was never carried out.

thatbags Wed 23-Sep-15 10:38:45

We called splinters spells in Lancs and Yorks. I expect it's the same word as the Scottish spail.

MiniMouse Wed 23-Sep-15 11:19:23

My OH calls splinters 'spelk' (Geordie)

jollyg Wed 23-Sep-15 11:30:06

It was a spale. Thanks

Remember stoor, in Dutch is a stoorsucker. Hoover in modern parlance

Also tawse or Lochgelly,

hildajenniJ Wed 23-Sep-15 16:26:36

It was a spelk in north Cumberland too. I suppose where I lived it was only 13 miles to the Scottish border, and 11 miles to Northumberland, a lot of the dialect words were the same or very similar.

rosesarered Wed 23-Sep-15 16:53:27

Spells in Yorkshire (splinter.)

rosesarered Wed 23-Sep-15 16:55:07

Snickets in Yorkshire (alleyways)
Much use of Aye, lass and lad as well.Or there used to be years ago when I lived there.

Ana Wed 23-Sep-15 17:00:17

And boggarts! (my Yorkshire grandma was fond of telling stories about them...)

posie Wed 23-Sep-15 17:06:50

It's quines & loons up here. (girls & boys)

trisher Wed 23-Sep-15 19:58:48

lads and lasses here. And everyone is addressed as "man"- "Howay, man"
I remember boggarts. And
'From ghosties and ghoulies, long leggety beasties and things that go bump in the night, Good Lord deliver us."

pinkprincess Wed 23-Sep-15 22:04:54

I am a Geordie and have always called splinters spelks.
Like a previous poster mentioned, I can remember getting a spelk in my finger as a child and my grandmother getting it out with a sewing needle sterilised in a flame.

Sugarpufffairy Wed 30-Sep-15 00:39:27

It is a braw bricht moonlicht nicht the nicht.

Cumon ye get aff ma bus

Did ye get a lumber the nicht?

Kin ah see ye hame?

Whaur ye gaun?

Am urnay! Am ur! Ahv telt ye and ye urnay.

Yur bidin ben the room the nicht.

Thurs hee haw in the press!

Just a wee few examples.

Cherrytree59 Wed 30-Sep-15 10:05:22

I'm a scot. But lived south of the border for many a year now. My DH used to pull me up when I used a lot of Scottish words he used to say 'talking broonish again'. I probably use less + less now. But still use skelf for splinter and stank for drain. I also say smir for drizzle not sure if that was just word my gran used and gamp for umberella.

Elegran Wed 30-Sep-15 10:11:53

D'ye come frae Fife? Gie'ss yer hond.
Ye come frae Cupar! Gie'ss yer twa hond.

gillybob Wed 30-Sep-15 10:13:47

I say "spelk" for splinter too MiniMouse and pinkprincess Haway the lads !

I had a Scottish neighbour many years ago who used to say "I'll give yer a chap in the morning"

(sadly she wasn't helping me find an new man, she was giving me a knock on the door) grin

Charleygirl Wed 30-Sep-15 10:23:13

I have lived in London for too long me thinks.Elegran I come from Cupar Fife.

My grandmother lived in Kirkcaldy and it was difficult to understand a word that she said if one was not a Fifer.

Elegran Wed 30-Sep-15 11:12:11

When I first came to Scotland with my parents, we lived in Kirkcaldy and I went to school there - it was a steep learning curve.

felice Wed 30-Sep-15 11:30:02

Peterheid Posie ??
My SO is Flemish and is often surprised when i say somthing and he uses the same word.
The most used one is Kirk for Church, same in both Scotland and Flanders.