Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

your favourite musical

(100 Posts)
TriciaF Fri 15-Apr-16 14:31:26

There don't seem to be so many new musicals these days.
Following a discussion elsewhere I wonder what your favourite musical is, or was. Mine is definitely West Side Story. I saw it as a stage show when it first came to London in the late '50s-60s. And again not long ago, also in London.
The song/dance I like best is "America!" :
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy6wo2wpT2k
And also Officer Krupke - the lyrics are brilliant.
How about you?

Jenty61 Fri 15-Apr-16 14:39:38

phantom is my favourite...

Teetime Fri 15-Apr-16 14:48:07

I only like the 'old' musicals anything ALW is horrible to my ears so for me its
Kiss Me Kate. Cole Porter was a master songsmith.

ninathenana Fri 15-Apr-16 14:48:45

Oooh I couldn't choose.
I love all the oldies and new ones too."We will rock you" is the one that comes to mind.

Anniebach Fri 15-Apr-16 14:54:23

Fidler on the Roof

wot Fri 15-Apr-16 14:57:16

Hair......the songs.

NanKate Fri 15-Apr-16 15:11:17

West Side Story
Blood Brothers
The Whizz with Michael Jackson
Bye Bye Birdie - saw it with my late dad when I was a teenager, what a happy afternoon we had. smile

I won't go on as I may take others' favourites.

grannyactivist Fri 15-Apr-16 15:18:30

Les Misérables - I saw it at the Palace Theatre in Manchester in the 80's and just thought it was a most moving spectacle. Now though I listen to one of the songs with poignancy; Bring Him Home always reduces me to tears since the death of my son in law in Afghanistan, so I have to steel myself to listen if it's sung in a concert I'm attending.

I would love to see more shows at the theatre, but that'll have to wait for retirement I'm afraid.

TriciaF Fri 15-Apr-16 15:29:49

The trouble with going to the theatre now is that it's so expensive shock.
Eldest daughter took me to see West Side Story, then later, Carmen Jones and Mama Mia.
But nothing recently, the prices have shot up.
I've always wanted to see Les Miserables, maybe get the DVD.
And Kiss me Kate - don't know that but love Cole Porter's songs.

Kittye Fri 15-Apr-16 15:36:28

Loved Les Mis. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is another favourite, loved Howard Keel.

KatyK Fri 15-Apr-16 15:48:57

West Side Story
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
Miss Saigon - so sad
Blood Brothers
Billy Elliot

The only Lloyd Webber ones I've seen I didn't like - Cats and Evita. I didn't like Les Mis either, although I realise I am in the minority with that one!

tanith Fri 15-Apr-16 15:51:05

We loved The Jersey Boys but I think West Side Story will always be my favourite..

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 15-Apr-16 16:03:39

Billy Elliot. Saw it a couple of times in London. Can't believe it's closed now. Perhaps I will catch it on tour. Maybe Cardiff in June.

Kinky Boots a fairly close second.

granjura Fri 15-Apr-16 16:07:29

The first one I ever saw when I first lived in London- from rural Switzerland.

HAIR with David Essex. But cats was very enjoyable too.

Gagagran Fri 15-Apr-16 16:15:38

I saw Phantom with Michael Crawford and Sarah Brightman - fantastic in every way. I also love Fiddler on the Roof and saw that one Christmas at the Playhouse in Leeds. Superb songs and story.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 15-Apr-16 16:20:54

I always enjoy Joseph. The first time I saw that was at DD's primary school shortly after it had been written. Hard to believe it was written for schoolchildren to perform.

Daisyanswerdo Fri 15-Apr-16 16:24:43

Does anyone remember a musical called 'Valmouth'? It was by Sandy Wilson based on a book by Ronald Firbank. I'd love to see it again.

Alima Fri 15-Apr-16 16:34:42

There are so many.
Buddy, seen it twice, hoping to go again when it tours.
Joseph, seen it twice, going again in July on tour.
We Will Rock You
Beautiful, brilliant.
Blues Brothers, wonderful sing-along.

I read that Billy Elliot shut because the theatre needs attention. They have not ruled out staging it again.

Off to see Kinky Boots next month.

I love musicals!

Greyduster Fri 15-Apr-16 16:37:03

For the wonderful score, South Pacific has always been my absolute favourite. Then My Fair Lady and the King and I. The only Rodgers and Hammerstein musical i didn't care for was Carousel. I'm not a big fan of later musicals.

KatyK Fri 15-Apr-16 16:38:40

Billy Elliot is touring in 2017. We have our tickets to see it in Birmingham next April. We are also going to see Sunny Afternoon (the Kinks musical) in Birmingham this September. I am looking forward to that - love The Kinks. Oh yes I forgot about Buddy, it's brilliant.

Alima Fri 15-Apr-16 16:42:16

KatyK, we are going to see Sunny Afternoon in November, really looking forward to it.

KatyK Fri 15-Apr-16 16:43:54

I hope you enjoy it Alima and I hope I do too! We wanted to see it in London but DH was complaining about the expense, train, hotel etc so I was pleased that it is coming here.

hildajenniJ Fri 15-Apr-16 16:47:07

My favourite is Les Miserables from the modern era.
Calamity Jane, and Showboat from years ago. I like all the songs, particularly The Black Hills of Dakota, and Ole Man River.

Charleygirl Fri 15-Apr-16 16:54:06

I loved We Will Rock You and Billy Elliot. I also did not like Les Mis- it was on for too long for me.

When I was working in central London I was in a fortunate position of being able to get free or very cheap tickets but usually it was for an evening performance the same day I got the tickets. I made very good use of them when I was in a position to do so and saw many shows.

Nannylovesshopping Fri 15-Apr-16 16:56:08

Song and dance with Wayne Sleep, still my favourite