Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

your favourite musical

(101 Posts)
TriciaF Fri 15-Apr-16 14:31:26

There don't seem to be so many new musicals these days.
Following a discussion elsewhere I wonder what your favourite musical is, or was. Mine is definitely West Side Story. I saw it as a stage show when it first came to London in the late '50s-60s. And again not long ago, also in London.
The song/dance I like best is "America!" :
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy6wo2wpT2k
And also Officer Krupke - the lyrics are brilliant.
How about you?

hildajenniJ Fri 15-Apr-16 16:58:09

Here are Doris Day and Howard Keel in Calamity Jane.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=p59nrGixAYY

Lindajoy Fri 15-Apr-16 16:59:33

Definitely "Les Mis" and "Warhorse" - both utterly compelling and atmospheric. Reduced to tears by both!

Newquay Fri 15-Apr-16 17:19:02

Oh Anniebach yes, Fiddler on the Roof every time!
Although I have to say I do like ANY musical. Off to Calamity Jane soon at the local amateur?

whitewave Fri 15-Apr-16 17:48:32

Does Singing in the Rain count?

Alima Fri 15-Apr-16 17:52:00

Yes whitewave, another good musical. Saw the stage version a few years ago.

Kittye Fri 15-Apr-16 18:06:09

Lindajoy We took two of our grandchildren to see Warhorse a few years ago. I don't think they were really looking forward to it , they were just humouring the GP,
but they were on the edge of their seats enthralled. It was wonderful to see.smile

GrannyAsNanny Fri 15-Apr-16 18:18:19

Must mention Oklahoma and My Fair Lady. And I think it was Sandy Wilson who wrote The Boyfriend. Salad Days was the first I saw on the London stage.

phoenix Fri 15-Apr-16 18:28:44

Love loads of them, have a very soft spot for Oliver! Which my beloved late DS2 and I always enjoyed watching together.

However, must confess to a bit of a penchant for The Rocky Horror Show blush

Elrel Fri 15-Apr-16 18:30:52

Since the 60s I found it hard to choose but put Oliver! just in front of West Side Story. More recently it has to be Les Mis - evening though many of the sounds reduce me to a damp weepy heap!
I saw the South African musical King Kong in the 60s too and though I only saw it once can still remember some of the songs and rhythms.

merlotgran Fri 15-Apr-16 18:51:37

Like Greyduster my favourites are The King and I, My Fair Lady and South Pacific.

Also Miss Saigon and Les Mis. Haven't seen Phant.

aggie Fri 15-Apr-16 18:59:22

MamaMia

Cats

Desert Song

Katek Fri 15-Apr-16 19:00:49

Les Mis
Little Shop of Horrors
Anything Goes

Marmark1 Fri 15-Apr-16 19:01:31

With you Greyduster,South Pacific ,wonderful,
Most modern so called music drives me crackers,would rather watch paint dry,
Show boat another favourite.

rosesarered Fri 15-Apr-16 19:32:12

South Pacific
And also....
The Blues Brothers
Joseph,
little Shop Of Horrors

Ones I really don't like though are:
Cats,
Evita,
West Side Story

rosesarered Fri 15-Apr-16 19:33:53

The only musical I have ever walked out of is 'Salad Days' shudder.

Imperfect27 Fri 15-Apr-16 20:02:41

Les Mis is favourite for me- very poignant. My DS1 had the part of Marius when he was 18 in a school's production. Just before the run his sister was killed in a car crash. I don't know how he managed to sing ' A Little Bit of Rain' and 'Empty chairs.' I went to every night of the run and on the last night most of our family went - so many of us in the audience. Now I always associate it with grieving - but in a cathartic sense.

NanKate Fri 15-Apr-16 20:17:40

Roses I just loved Salad days and other light hearted musicals written by Julian Slade and Dorothy Reynolds, in fact I can here the music in my head now.

It's funny how we have such different tastes.

I might follow up on Kinky Boots as so many of you liked it.

suzied Fri 15-Apr-16 20:20:19

Carousel has some great songs. You'll never walk alone being one of them.

suzied Fri 15-Apr-16 20:20:37

Guys and Folls is also fab.

suzied Fri 15-Apr-16 20:21:10

Oops! Guys and Dolls!
Should have done a preview.

MiniMouse Fri 15-Apr-16 20:51:19

Bombay Dreams

You could tell who'd been to see it because, as you walked down the road afterwards, there was a lot of Shakalaka Baby being sung smile

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 15-Apr-16 20:53:08

Guys and Dolls did nothing for me. Can't remember a thing about it and it was only abour three weeks ago I saw it! Same with Wicked. Again - nothing. hmm

Just booked tickets for Billy Elliot at Manchester Palace the week before Christmas. Hooray! Love that show!

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 15-Apr-16 20:54:45

Will be the third time for Billy Elliot. And it always makes me feel sad. Feel so sorry for little Michael being left behind. hmm

Cherrytree59 Fri 15-Apr-16 21:16:17

Thoroughly Modern Millie

Can recommend Sunny Afternoon

Indinana Fri 15-Apr-16 21:27:31

Guys and Dolls did nothing for me either. But even worse was Half a Sixpence with Tommy Steele - the only show we ever walked out of at the interval. Totally dire.

Favourites include:

Buddy (saw that four times, on successive tours at our local theatre!)
Blood Brothers
The Lion King
Mama Mia
West Side Story
Les Mis