Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Christmas films

(73 Posts)
minimo Wed 23-Nov-16 15:29:32

Anyone else have a self-indulgent film session come December? They aren't even Christmas related necessarily but for some reason I only watch them around this time of the year. Scrooge is the obvious one. But also Casablanca, Miracle on 34th Street, The sound of Music. And The Bridge on the River Kwai is the Boxing Day one. I also really enjoyed Stick Man with the grandkids last year. And I got them a copy of the Aristocats last year which I think will become a tradition - they loved it!
What else is on your Christmas watch list?

BPJ Fri 25-Nov-16 13:03:21

African Queen

Disgruntled Fri 25-Nov-16 13:38:20

Green Wing
Airplane
Groundhog Day

Sheilasue Fri 25-Nov-16 13:59:09

White Xmas, the grinch, Scrooge, and the musical Scrooge with Albert Finley.

12rg12ja Fri 25-Nov-16 14:10:35

One year they had Thornbirds on with Richard Chamberlain I still remember loving every minute and crying buckets at the end.

jamtart27 Fri 25-Nov-16 14:53:30

The bishops wife , good old romantic film, magic, snow,ice skating, no sex but full of love ......I get soppier

Mojowic Fri 25-Nov-16 16:33:33

I love Ross Kemp A Christmas Carol, weird although some people think I am!

Pamaga Fri 25-Nov-16 17:02:53

Miracle on 34th Street but it has to be the early version with Edmund Gwenn and Natalie Wood!

Belleringer Fri 25-Nov-16 17:22:22

The Snowman - my children always cried when he melted but still wanted to watch it every time

DaphneBroon Fri 25-Nov-16 17:23:17

Love Actually!
I had never seen Wonderful Life until 2 years ago and thought (alas) what rubbish it was! A weak and sketchy story line, some serious overacting and sentimentality to make "Bambi" look like "Rambo"
What a disappointment sad

1974cookie Fri 25-Nov-16 17:30:22

Definitely has to be It's a wonderful life for me, followed closely by the original black and white Scrooge film starring the wonderful Alistair Sim.
Such Nostalgia.

Juggernaut Fri 25-Nov-16 18:23:17

Elf!
It's required Christmas viewing in our house, silly, soppy in parts, but fun!

Morgana Fri 25-Nov-16 18:38:03

Detest scrooge. No idea why. They used to show far from the madding crowd with Julie Christie at Christmas. We loved it.

paddyann Fri 25-Nov-16 18:40:54

the Bishops Wife ,with Cary Grant ,David Niven and Loretta Young .Cary Grant is an angel brought back to earth to sort out some problems ,its funny and sad and I watch it every year and have for decades ,The remake with Denzil Washington isn't a patch on the original

Lupatria Fri 25-Nov-16 19:43:40

Sir Terry Pratchett's "Hogfather" is my Christmas film of choice.
The other films I like to watch aren't Christmassy at all - I love Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Star Wars and Indiana Jones.
Christmas films aren't really my cup of tea.

Disgruntled Fri 25-Nov-16 20:05:47

I agree, Daphne! A friend of mine was horrified that I'd never seen A Wonderful Life (but then I've never seen Star Wars either) and encouraged me to watch it: met reaction was like yours.

Theoddbird Fri 25-Nov-16 21:52:00

It's a Wonderful Life and the original Miracle on 34th Street have to be my favourites. I quite like The Bishop's Wife as well

DanniRae Fri 25-Nov-16 22:18:24

So glad Disgruntled and Daphne that you didn't enjoy Wonderful Life. My family think I'm weird because I don't like it either. Mind you I didn't enjoy "Up" either and everyone else did.

pollyperkins Fri 25-Nov-16 22:46:42

I loved 'Up' but Its a wonderful life doesnt do much for me. I too was disappointed when I first saw it.

I do like a romantic comedy. So Sleepless in Seattle, Serndipity, While you were sleeping, 4 weddings, notting hill, love actually, youve got mail and lots more.
I also think Groundhog day is great.

SparklyGrandma Fri 25-Nov-16 22:48:36

I love a soppy film at Christmas...Love Actually always, maybe Notting Hill, Sound of Music, any Jane Austen but especially Emma or Sense and Sensibility, and funny films too - the other night watched Anger Management with Adam Sandler....laughed out loud, its so silly and funny....

judylow Fri 25-Nov-16 23:25:50

Greyduster, there is also the Katherine Hepburn version of Little Women which was before June Alyson.

robbienut Fri 25-Nov-16 23:36:50

Jason and the Argonauts

Peaseblossom Sat 26-Nov-16 01:10:50

It's a Wonderful Life is my favourite Christmas film. "Every time a bell rings an angel gets its wings"! The old version of Miracle on 34th Street is lovely. Funny because the little girl in it has my married name!

DanniRae Sat 26-Nov-16 08:20:51

I love all the films you mentioned pollyperkins except Serendipity because I have never seen or heard of it. I will have to remedy that asap!!

Greyduster Sat 26-Nov-16 08:56:43

judy. I had a feeling there was and if I haven't seen it I can't imagine why because I'm such a big fan of KH that I thought I'd seen every film she ever made! She would be the epitomal Jo.

Nanna58 Sat 26-Nov-16 20:44:40

DH and I love Bad Santa with Billy Bob Thornton, so will treat ourselves to a cinema trip to see the sequel. I must also watch each year A Christmas Carol( the Alastair Sim version) and It's a Wonderful Life, so as you see my tastes are varied!