Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Christmas films

(72 Posts)
minimo Wed 23-Nov-16 15:29:32

Anyone else have a self-indulgent film session come December? They aren't even Christmas related necessarily but for some reason I only watch them around this time of the year. Scrooge is the obvious one. But also Casablanca, Miracle on 34th Street, The sound of Music. And The Bridge on the River Kwai is the Boxing Day one. I also really enjoyed Stick Man with the grandkids last year. And I got them a copy of the Aristocats last year which I think will become a tradition - they loved it!
What else is on your Christmas watch list?

nanasam Wed 23-Nov-16 15:39:09

Not necessarily on my watch list but there are the old chestnuts that pop up every year it seems. The Great Escape, Towering Inferno, Zulu, Mary Poppins,Chitty Chitty Bang Bang to name but a few! Funny thing is, we usually watch them - how sad are we?!

ninathenana Wed 23-Nov-16 16:29:54

Hannibal Brooks is another a day of course Sound of Music
#runsfromroomscreaming

I do love a soppy sentimental Christmas themed film

Greyduster Wed 23-Nov-16 16:52:43

I see that "it's a Wonderful Life" is on on Saturday afternoon - that was always trotted out at Christmas (along with High Noon). It's obviously been relegated!

rosesarered Wed 23-Nov-16 16:55:42

I rather like Groundhog Day.

Lillie Wed 23-Nov-16 19:20:02

Love Actually, The Holiday and Home Alone.

DanniRae Wed 23-Nov-16 19:26:08

I love "Love Actually" and we watch it every year.
My husband really likes "It's a Wonderful Life" but it does nothing for me.

Greyduster Wed 23-Nov-16 19:26:22

For sheer unmitigated lunacy, the Mel Brookes movie "Spaceballs".

Nelliemoser Wed 23-Nov-16 20:05:22

I want to actually be able to sit down and and see all of "It's a wonderful life." for the first time.

vampirequeen Wed 23-Nov-16 20:21:30

I always try to catch at least one version of Scrooge. We also watch Arthur Christmas as a family.

Thingmajig Wed 23-Nov-16 22:07:46

I love the newer version of Miracle on 34th St, although we did watch the old one last year as it seemed to be showing on some channel or other almost all the time.

I do enjoy the Christmas films but refuse to watch any until December comes! Then it's all systems go with the films and cinnamon candles. smile

Badenkate Wed 23-Nov-16 22:15:37

Christmas starts for me with The Muppets' Christmas Carol' smile

Andyf Wed 23-Nov-16 22:16:57

It wouldn't be the approach to Christmas without watching Little Women with my Granddaughter.

Maggiemaybe Wed 23-Nov-16 22:46:31

Oh yes, but mine have to be Christmas related in some way. Any old weepie that I manage to catch on daytime TV while wrapping presents will do. My favourites are Love Actually, It's a Wonderful Life, A Christmas Carol, Miracle on 34th Street (the update), Meet Me in St Louis, The Apartment, Holiday Inn, Little Women and at the number one slot, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, parts of which mirror some of our family Christmas mishaps with frightening accuracy...

yggdrasil Thu 24-Nov-16 09:33:11

Miracle on 34th Street , I much prefer the original :-)

Bobbin Thu 24-Nov-16 09:54:20

ooh, little women for me too! And Casper is always on at Christmas for some reason - we always watch it. My absolute favourite around Christmas though is Holiday Inn

DanniRae Thu 24-Nov-16 10:36:11

We watch "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" every year Maggie. It's one of our Christmas traditions smile

Greyduster Thu 24-Nov-16 11:16:15

I love Little Women. Until recently I'd only seen the June Alyson version, but the later one with Winona Ryder and Claire Danes was very good. We watched "Arthur Christmas" last year and i thought it was very funny - I'd like to see that one again!

Worthingpatchworkers Fri 25-Nov-16 10:40:57

It has to ne....A Christmas Story......in black and white......undisturbed by phone or people.

Angela1961 Fri 25-Nov-16 10:43:46

Love - The Holiday . Muppets Christmas Carol. Scrooge. And will admit watching year after year ( but not so much these past years ) Jason and the Argonauts !

GranVee Fri 25-Nov-16 10:56:21

I love The Holiday, White Christmas and often watch lots of films on True Christmas. My husband who is such a baa humbug over Christmas,loves Scrooge we watch every version.

Kate51 Fri 25-Nov-16 11:16:29

Rare exports, wonderful life, a Christmas story. Few more but these are my top 3

pattie Fri 25-Nov-16 11:17:31

Zulu High Noon The muppets.

floorflock Fri 25-Nov-16 11:31:52

It's a wonderful Life
High Noon
The Quiet Man
South Pacific
White Christmas
The Christmas Card (With Ed Asner, it's actually a really good film)
The Christmas Choir
Angels and Ornaments
Also, I'm still hung up on The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel too for some reason.

MagicWand Fri 25-Nov-16 12:02:29

I'd add the Flint Street Nativity, it was on TV, so not a film in the strictest sense of the word. It's become a must watch family classic with the DCs introducing their partners to it. I have 2 copies of the DVD so I can lend one out. I've always thought it should be required watching for Nursery/Reception/KS1 teachers!