Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Christmas films

(73 Posts)
minimo Wed 23-Nov-16 15:29:32

Anyone else have a self-indulgent film session come December? They aren't even Christmas related necessarily but for some reason I only watch them around this time of the year. Scrooge is the obvious one. But also Casablanca, Miracle on 34th Street, The sound of Music. And The Bridge on the River Kwai is the Boxing Day one. I also really enjoyed Stick Man with the grandkids last year. And I got them a copy of the Aristocats last year which I think will become a tradition - they loved it!
What else is on your Christmas watch list?

Elrel Sat 14-Jan-17 17:16:48

A 50's bw film with Sonja Henie skating always fascinated me along with 'Meet Me in St Louis'.

Floradora9 Sat 14-Jan-17 17:57:41

As far as we were concerned Christmas TV was dire not a thing we wanted to watch but DGC took up most of our time anyway. How I wish " Who do you think you are ? " would return as the series had not finished.

TerriBull Sat 14-Jan-17 18:52:08

My grandson aged 2 adores Stick man, not interested in The Gruffalo, Room on the Broom stuck on Stick man, lovely Christmas film for small children.

M0nica Sun 15-Jan-17 10:43:57

For us the first sign of approaching Christmas is the first viewing of a The Muppet's Christmas Carol, with Michael Caine. It is remarkably accurate and Michael Caine plays the part brilliantly and gets watched several times. This past year, out of interest, we have got two other versions, one with Alastair Sim and the other with Patrick Stewart. I liked Patrick Stewart as Scrooge, but was less convinced by Alastair Sim.

A Wonderful Life is also part of our Christmas Cannon and Rossini's opera Cenerentola, one specific version with Frederica von Stade, It is Cinderella as we know it. A lovely Cinderella, a truly handsome Prince, 2 ugly sisters and a wonderfully dreadful step-father. Christmas isn't Christmas without it.

Shamrock Wed 26-Jul-17 12:19:25

My favorite movie in my Christmas watch list is Wish For Christmas, if interested – you can watch it online on solarmovie.tube/ - When a high school senior finds out from her parents that she has to miss the town's winter dance to attend Christmas Eve service at church, she successfully wishes their faith away, bringing disastrous consequences to her family and community.

Imperfect27 Wed 26-Jul-17 12:34:04

Muppets Christmas carol was our family Christmas Eve film for many, many years and each of my grown-up children now has their own copy.

I love 'It's A Wonderful Life' and also 'The Shop Around the Corner' - a very early film for Jimmy Stewart and the predecessor of 'You've Got Mail' (and much superior to my mind).

I love the day in the Christmas holidays (around about the 28th / 29th) when DH disappears with whoever is around to see a blockbuster at the cinema and I get a few hours of blessed peace for myself after all the madness. Last Christmas I spent that time enjoying 'Saving Mr Banks'.

I quite like a grungy late Novemebr / early December morning in my PJs watching some smulchy Christmas Movie on one of the freeview channels - some channels seem devoted to them. Shameless escapism!

BlueBelle Wed 26-Jul-17 12:54:22

I thought the C word wasn't used before November

ninathenana Wed 26-Jul-17 13:32:20

Me too Bluebelle

devongirl Wed 26-Jul-17 13:55:41

Another vore for The Muppet's Christmas Carol, my DD and I love it, I'd say it's our favourite Christmas film. Haven't read the whole thread, but there was a lovely TV movie called The Greatest Store in the World, which is also lovely. And of course Home Alone.

BBbevan Wed 26-Jul-17 14:27:22

I like long epic films at Christmas. My all time favourite is Ben-Hur with Charlton Heston. Which is more an Easter film I suppose. Also Gladiator ( love the music)
Scrooge with Albert Finney is good and the GDs like Oliver .

Imperfect27 Wed 26-Jul-17 16:09:55

'C' word - no, not until December if we can get away with it - but that only applies to the children ... erm, I think ...

Ana Wed 26-Jul-17 16:45:24

Well, it's long been a tradition on GN - but hey, feel free...

Anniebach Wed 26-Jul-17 16:50:45

No comment

devongirl Wed 26-Jul-17 16:58:43

because...?

Ana Wed 26-Jul-17 17:00:35

Because what?

devongirl Wed 26-Jul-17 17:01:47

No comment from ab because...?

TwiceAsNice Wed 26-Jul-17 17:07:16

Miracle on 34th Street
It's a Wonderful Life
Absolute favourite Arthur Christmas, we all laugh like drains every year even though we know what's coming next.

I can talk about Christmas any old time, we are all crazy about it in our family

LadyGracie Wed 26-Jul-17 17:09:58

Uncle Buck, Railway Children

grumppa Wed 26-Jul-17 19:47:24

Not mad about most Christmas films, but I always look out for Astaire/Rogers musicals at that time, ever since we watched Top Hat on Christmas Day about 60 years ago.

Eloethan Wed 26-Jul-17 20:14:27

However many times I see it, I still enjoy The Great Escape - and some of the old black and white films - The Little Shop Around the Corner, Rebecca, Brief Encounter ....

Mapleleaf Sun 10-Sep-17 17:00:12

I love The Snowman.
I like Scrooge, too and White Christmas and Holiday Inn to name just a few. ?

Lynnebo Sun 10-Sep-17 17:32:56

All of the above - Scrooge has to be the Ross Kemp one usually shown on a weekday morning on a random channel, plus Nativity! (The first one - not 2 & 3) and Christmas with the Kranks.
I am currently Christmas Crafting so am quite happy to talk Christmas even though I don't have my 'summer holiday' til October!! ?☃️