Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Holidays alone

(83 Posts)
meandashy Sat 08-Jul-17 08:54:39

Hi lovely Gransnetters ?
I am finally getting a much needed break after being a kinship carer for 4 years.
I really want a holiday, some sun on my skin. Unfortunately none of my friends are available to during these two weeks to come with me.
My question is have any of you travelled alone? I'm not classed as senior (45) and I have looked at travel agents solely selling 'single travellers holidays but they are seriously expensive!
I'm slightly anxious about flying but I'm sure I can manage a short haul but what would I do with myself during this holiday?
It sounds like I'm talking myself out of this doesn't it ? .....

whitewave Tue 11-Jul-17 18:16:22

Well to be honest you get what you pay for and I always go for as decent as possible.

For example this year we e been away 3 times.

The first a converted barn of 2 years in early spring. Underfloor heating, lots of goodies left including wine, 2bathrooms one a wet room, beds divine.
The next a dear little cottage in Cornwall really old but beautifully fitted out. Log fires nod right on the Camel Trail for walking the dog.
Last week was a modern cottage of 4 years old. Another beautifully appointed with the most divine garden fitted with sun beds etc.

All spotlessly clean and comfortable

I think your friend has been extremely unfortunate jane

There is usually a video recording of the entire place so you know what you are going to.

We have 2others booked in the UK before the winter.

Lewlew Tue 11-Jul-17 19:13:37

Trip Advisor does holiday rentals worldwide... bookings, not just reviews, so you get the benefit of both. I find them easy to navigate.

RosieLeah Tue 11-Jul-17 19:53:05

I wouldn't go abroad alone, but I have had several holidays alone in this country. I enjoy hiking and cycling, my family don't. So I have rented a cottage for a week and spent my days enjoying what I like doing. It's wonderful to just please yourself, without having to consider other people.

whitewave Tue 11-Jul-17 19:55:48

Yes rosie that is exactly what I would choose to do.

Aslemma Wed 12-Jul-17 01:01:24

Although the OP was asking about holidaying solo many replies mention "we" which isn't really solo. As I live alone I am quite happy with ,my own company but like the option of people to talk to in the evenings, which is why I prefer an hotel to an apartment. For many years I have been holidaying in Tunisia and feel safer walking the streets of Sousse than I would London or Birmingham. My longest solo trip was 3.5 months visiting Bangkok, Singapore, Australia and Hongkong ,which was a fantastic experience.

Nelliemoser Wed 12-Jul-17 23:50:00

I also do HF holidays. The big advantage about them is the communal tables. You can sit at which ever table you like and join in the conversation. This works really well as most regulars understand that is an important part of the ethos.

Google the range of holiday activities that go on.
They have their brochures online. The leisure activity holidays cover a whole range of things.
(I used to do lots of walking with HF but various back joints are protesting too much now.)

meandashy Sat 15-Jul-17 09:29:43

Thank you for all your lovely suggestions and stories. I have explored many options. It seems I may have been over optimistic regarding holiday prices! I have decided to continue saving and go later in the year when the kids are at school and the prices come down!
I am not able to go on a walking holiday, it's definitely a beach I have in mind with sunshine for my weary bones ?
Thanks again Gransnetters xx