Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Philosophical ideas to get through hard times

(284 Posts)
Dawn22 Mon 16-Mar-20 19:14:26

I would like to start a thread about what we can learn from the old stoics and philosophers and there is much to know about there take on life and then how we can apply that to 21st living.

I liked this so here goes

An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life.
"A fight is going on inside me" he said to the boys. It is a fight between two wolves. One has anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, self-pity, guilt, lies and ego."
He continued; "The other is good- he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, kindness, empathy, truth, compassion and faith.
"The same fight is going on inside you too Grandson - and inside every other person too."
The Grandson looked and asked "Which wolf will win?"
The old Cherokee simply replied "The one you feed".

Hope this message helps.

Artdecogran Tue 24-Mar-20 23:09:27

Something my husband wrote to me when we were first married: ‘The love that I have is all that I have, and all that I have is yours’

rosecarmel Tue 24-Mar-20 23:10:54

Beautiful ..

May7 Tue 24-Mar-20 23:30:46

Fabulous thread. Keep it going please encouraging words

I have

There is a crack in everything thats how the light gets in on my bathroom door

I also like The love you take is equal to the love you make
Paul McCartney

Laughterlines Tue 24-Mar-20 23:41:08

My granny used to say

God doesn’t pay his debts with money

heretoday Wed 25-Mar-20 03:25:02

I always used to be very busy. Much too busy to feed and nourish friendships. Then I retired and am less busy. But still my day was perfectly structured. Simple and self isolating in terms of communicating with friends. Now I am in forced isolation, my structure gone. I feel I am drifting. But in truth, I am still the same. The only difference being I don't like being told what to do. Strange I fear what I have lost, but I have lost nothing. What I gained is time to consider other things, which without the imposition caused by a virus I would not have otherwise done so. I guess we humans are curious creatures. There is a philosophy in there somewhere.

DoraMarr Wed 25-Mar-20 06:22:01

Heretoday when this isolation was first announced, I was bitterly sad. It isn’t that I am forever going out, in fact I sometimes spend whole days on my own quite happily. But it’s the knowing that I can’t CHOOSE to do that now, and that all the possibilities have been shut down: the visit to a gallery, lunch in a restaurant, a concert in the evening, coffee with friends. So, I am spending my days now enjoying little things in my suddenly small world: the sun on my face, a walk in the park, green shoots in my plant pots, a nice lunch, a glass of wine in the evening. And, once restrictions are lifted, I will never take the cafes, the concerts and the galleries for granted. And how sweet it will be to hug my grandchildren!

suzette1613 Wed 25-Mar-20 06:39:35

Better the cold breath of winter, than the hot breath of the pursuing elephant. Eastern, but not sure of the derivative.

Nico97 Wed 25-Mar-20 08:48:49

This made me think...

Dawn22 Wed 25-Mar-20 10:11:58

Great messages above.
Just my own thoughts for myself today. Whenever l hear bad or disturbing things said on the News etc l am going to substitute good thinking and good ideology into my brain instead and not only that but welcome warmly those thoughts .

"Walk tall and breathe deeply.' Buddha.

ananimous Wed 25-Mar-20 10:17:57

I'm not self-isolating - I'm waiting in for the post/snowed in/having a duvet day/spring cleaning week/just back from holidays - wink

Reframing every hour (or taking one day at a time).

This will make you laugh: -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=92i5m3tV5XY

Dawn22 Wed 25-Mar-20 20:47:41

"Moments of losing courage belong to a brave life ".
- School of life. YouTube

So true above. It is in our vulnerability that we are most human and humane. The two go hand in hand.

Sleep the sleep of the just.

Dawn xx

May7 Wed 25-Mar-20 23:44:05

Dont piss into the wind
You'll always get your own back

Night night everyone

Dawn22 Thu 26-Mar-20 08:31:45

Thanks a mil May 7

"Great things never come from comfort zones."
Anon.

Oh how true the above is. We have become such an evolved species; so much so that we can expect alot from ourselves; and at times too much. We can be right out of our comfort zones and pushing ourselves. But it is at times like this we must be gentle with ourselves. Do what we can; day by day.
Take care today as best we can. That is my motto for now.
Dawn xx

GrannyLaine Thu 26-Mar-20 09:44:48

Not exactly philosophical, more an observation.
Mr L & I were talking about the shutdown of large shopping malls locally and how somehow irrelevant they seem to our enclosed life at the moment. I'm rather enjoying the simplicity of our pared down life.

Dawn22 Thu 26-Mar-20 13:45:52

Heard a good Mantra today.

May l be safe.
May l be healthy
May l be peaceful.

Just nice to create a quiet spot and say it three or five times to let it sink in.
Dawn xx

Dawn22 Thu 26-Mar-20 21:34:21

Goodnight.
Sleep the sleep of the just. Anon.

May7 Thu 26-Mar-20 21:47:10

Dont poke the sleeping dragon
Night night all

Dawn22 Fri 27-Mar-20 14:28:36

Thanks a mil May7
I really needed to hear that message myself right now.

Victor Frankl wrote that survival during the Concentration times depended on our ability to adapt to any situation. So these times adapt to any new situation as best l can. What else can we do.
Dawn

Dawn22 Fri 27-Mar-20 22:39:10

Pax
Latin for peace.

Sleep the sleep of the just. Anon.
Dawn xx

May7 Fri 27-Mar-20 22:44:57

Pick your battles
No too many battles put some back

Maybe appropriate for some GNs today I think
Night night

Bodach Fri 27-Mar-20 22:52:49

Advice from a fighter pilot: "If you didn't win the fight, win the debrief".

rosecarmel Fri 27-Mar-20 23:12:25

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken- Oscar Wilde

Dawn22 Sat 28-Mar-20 09:26:15

"Confine yourself to the present."
- Marcus Aurelius.

Such apt words.

May7 Sat 28-Mar-20 09:39:33

For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

Simon Wiesenthal

Dawn22 Sat 28-Mar-20 17:19:20

"Striving to better off we mar what's well".
- Shakespeare.

"The best is the enemy of the good."
- Voltaire.

I heard the second quote years ago at a Mass service. Much nowadays is about being the best; people talk about there job, holidays, leisure, appearance and there is a competitive edge to it. If you are the best at something, it means others are second or behind you. Everything in life is about sharing the skills we all have. Just musing at the moment as all is quiet here.