Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Carole King’s Tapestry

(40 Posts)
grannyactivist Fri 05-Feb-21 16:37:26

Tapestry is 50 years old, it was released on February 10th 1971- I’m 67 and this has been the one album that I've always had a copy of. I went to see her perform in Hyde Park four years ago and the music sounded as good as it did when it first came out.

Carole King, James Taylor and Carly Simon were such a talented bunch.

Anyone else a fan?

TerriBull Fri 05-Feb-21 17:59:37

Yes loved that album, she wrote a lot for other people and from a very young age. A very talented singer song writer.

Grannyactivist wow! I also had the Sweet Baby James album around the same time and of course loved Your So Vain and the speculation as to whether the subject of that song was Mick Jagger or Warren Beatty or neither!

Callistemon Fri 05-Feb-21 18:01:19

What a wonderful story, Grannyactivist!
Thank you for sharing it smile

Doodledog Fri 05-Feb-21 18:01:32

What a lovely story smile.

I am also a fan of all three (Carole King, Carly Simon and James Taylor), and love the Tapestry album.

janeainsworth Fri 05-Feb-21 18:27:36

I had a flat on Barlow Moor Road as a student in the late 60s, and worked at Withington hospital for a while in the 70s, renting a bed sit off Burton Road
Grandmajet In the late 60's I lived in Withington on Oak Road which connected Wilmslow Road with Palatine Road, just behind Christie's Hospital, so not that far from you.

I still have my vinyl copy of Tapestry smile

petunia Fri 05-Feb-21 19:57:20

Granny activist-wow....WOW. How fabulous .something to treasure forever. How lovely!

Chewbacca Fri 05-Feb-21 19:59:24

janeainsworth

^I had a flat on Barlow Moor Road as a student in the late 60s, and worked at Withington hospital for a while in the 70s, renting a bed sit off Burton Road^
Grandmajet In the late 60's I lived in Withington on Oak Road which connected Wilmslow Road with Palatine Road, just behind Christie's Hospital, so not that far from you.

And I'm not far away from there either! grin

grandmajet Fri 05-Feb-21 20:14:14

Fond memories, I love Manchester.

Missfoodlove Fri 05-Feb-21 20:24:06

GrannyActavist Thank you! I’m full of good food and wine and just remembered I have this saved on my planner.
I’m going to re watch now.
I cannot think of a better mood enhancer.
?❤️?

Casdon Fri 05-Feb-21 20:25:03

Gosh it’s a small world! No Carole King relevance, but I worked at Withington too, in the early eighties. For most of the time I was in a flat on Sandhurst Avenue, which is also off Burton Road. I loved Manchester, so full of life.

Curlywhirly Fri 05-Feb-21 20:55:36

Wow, Granyactivist just wow! James Taylor is one of my 1970s idols, he has the most amazing voice and I have most of his LPs and CDs. Our son had student accommodation in Withington and we have always had a soft spot for Manchester. I finally got to see him live when we went to his concert at the MEN about 4 years ago; his voice was still amazing.

janeainsworth Fri 05-Feb-21 21:36:36

Fond memories, I love Manchester
Me too Grandmajet and Chewbacca
I’ve come over all homesick/nostalgic now ??

glammanana Fri 05-Feb-21 22:44:35

I have always had a copy of Tapestry which I listen to on a regular basis I just love it, the other one is Jesus Christ Superstar another album of great songs which I will never get tired of,fabulous memories.

Gwyneth Fri 05-Feb-21 22:51:28

What a wonderful story and memory to keep grannyactivist so enjoyed reading it. Thank you for sharing it.

grannyactivist Sat 06-Feb-21 00:57:29

janeainsworth

^I had a flat on Barlow Moor Road as a student in the late 60s, and worked at Withington hospital for a while in the 70s, renting a bed sit off Burton Road^

Small world.

We had our wedding reception at the Nazarene Theological College on Dene Road in Didsbury in 1986.

A few years later my sons were born in Withington Hospital and shortly afterwards they closed the maternity department.

I briefly did some consultancy work at Lorna Lodge on Barlowmoor Road - it was supported housing for single mothers at the time.